Is the HD800 overpriced?
May 9, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #361 of 685
Head-fiers are such chumps.  I could spray paint my ibuds silver and put them in a big velvet box with a BS FR certification, boost the treble on them +10dB and you all would be ranting and raving about the build quality and the incredible neutrality that is so "revealing of upstream gear", while blaming everything under the sun for all their serious problems.  "No her voice really is supposed to sound screechy and hollow, you just don't like how terrible the recording is"

May 9, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #362 of 685
Quote:
Agreed, but my Sony SA5000, which the HD800 is supposed to have "borrowed" some of its design features from, is even more revealing and in many cases a far better set of cans to listen to. I prefer the Sony with good quality high res files. They are unforgiving with grainy rips and low res mp3. The HD800 would however be willing to attempt playing those kind of files with more willingness.

Yeah, I love the sa5000 lol.

May 9, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #363 of 685
Quote:
Whatever, you could get a speaker rig that would beat it in every way for less money.

Maggies + sub + power amp.  bam. 

^^THIS!!!

Quote:
Better in every way for $7k? Sorry, but I disagree.

Sorry, I'm with rhythmdevils on this one. No headphone rig could ever come close to the maggies+sub+power amp. Just some of us with younger children have been gently (or forcibly pushed) away from full sized speakers by our better halves so to speak.

May 9, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #365 of 685
Depends on the season. During the time when the orthos were new (HE-6 and LCD-2), the HD800 was considered a lower tier flagship, not on par with the orthos or classics like the R10. They were overpriced then.

Now they're currently enjoying a surge in popularity, and the LCD-3 release has dropped the LCD-2 to 2nd tier, and the HE-6 stagnation plus the T1's mediocre frequency response means the HD800 is once again a great deal.

So depends when you're asking.
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #366 of 685
^^THIS!!!

Sorry, I'm with rhythmdevils on this one. No headphone rig could ever come close to the maggies+sub+power amp. Just some of us with younger children have been gently (or forcibly pushed) away from full sized speakers by our better halves so to speak.

Oh, I'm not saying it can't be better, my 2ch speaker system is better in many ways, but it was a lot more than $7k. However, when I revisit it in a few years I'm looking at over $20k in upgrades

May 9, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #367 of 685
Quote:
Depends on the season. During the time when the orthos were new (HE-6 and LCD-2), the HD800 was considered a lower tier flagship, not on par with the orthos or classics like the R10. They were overpriced then.

Now they're currently enjoying a surge in popularity, and the LCD-3 release has dropped the LCD-2 to 2nd tier, and the HE-6 stagnation plus the T1's mediocre frequency response means the HD800 is once again a great deal.

biggrin.gif

I've owned many of the headphones you've just mentioned (and still have three of them), but the HD800s have never lost their luster with me. My LCD-3s are my favourite headphones, but the HD800s get the second amount of headtime. That said, my T1s are still here and still sound fabulous and aren't going anywhere anytime soon. I prefer them to the HE-6s (which I sold some months back).

May 9, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #369 of 685
Quite frankly, the main reason I keep my HE-6s is for metal. They are amazing for that.

May 9, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #370 of 685
Quote:
Head-fiers are such chumps.  I could spray paint my ibuds silver and put them in a big velvet box with a BS FR certification, boost the treble on them +10dB and you all would be ranting and raving about the build quality and the incredible neutrality that is so "revealing of upstream gear", while blaming everything under the sun for all their serious problems.  "No her voice really is supposed to sound screechy and hollow, you just don't like how terrible the recording is"

So, how would I go about buying you a beer for this post? 

May 9, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #371 of 685

By buying two, since I'm his tester.
You know, just in case, if you placed some ..

May 10, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #372 of 685
Quote:

There are a great many things I often disagree with you on in various threads, and rarely do I see eye to eye with you.  But on this one, you have me literally laughing in agreement.  It's harsh, but there's so much that's true about it
beerchug.gif

Quote:

biggrin.gif

To go along with my novel-sized comments in Chris's thread on this very topic, I have to wholly agree with you here as well.  "When the new hotness was cheaper these sucked, but now that the new hotness is more expensive, these are a bargain!"   I can't wait until HD-900 comes out at $2000 to compete with LCD-3 and all the HD-800 owners are told they're left with lowly "mid-fi" $1500 headphones
biggrin.gif
   Only then will they learn the value that their incredibly awesome headphones yesterday will still be incredibly awesome headphones tomorrow too, no matter what "better" model comes out and will, in fact, not actually have lost resolution or bass control as a result
wink.gif

May 10, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #373 of 685
Poor paint job on HD800 :frowning2:

May 10, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #374 of 685
Quote:
Poor paint job on HD800 :frowning2:

Afraid you're right. If you're a new HD800 user, your best option is to take advantage of the ColorWare offer to custom paint your new unit for free. I'm not sure if the paint will last much longer, but who can tell at this point?

May 10, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #375 of 685
Quote:

It's the thought that counts. 
beerchug.gif

Quote:

There are a great many things I often disagree with you on in various threads, and rarely do I see eye to eye with you.  But on this one, you have me literally laughing in agreement.  It's harsh, but there's so much that's true about it

If you disagree with me that often, then it's likely we don't actually disagree, but have different goals to begin with, and are looking for something very different in headphones. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back