Is the HD800 overpriced?
Feb 7, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #241 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I'm not.

Aside from the day job, my father and I run a small business. I also have a degree in accounting and I do our tax returns.

Deductions are largely above-the-line. If you write off $50 in gasoline, you might realize $2 or $3 off your tax bill.

Further, you have to have that $50 to begin with (or credit, but there's a cost for that and it ultimately has to be paid) and you'll still be $47 out of pocket even after figuring taxes.

As for the plastic issue, have any of you considered that perhaps aluminum, etc. was tested and that it provided an unsatisfactory sonic result?

Would you rather have a metal headphone with sound flaws or one of durable plastic that sounded marvelous?

Further, has anyone heard of the plastic failing? There are some 4,000 or more pairs out there. If plastic was such a serious design flaw, where are the angry threads?

We do have a big angry thread made by a person who even does not have HD800.

By the way I am very sure that Sennheiser INDEED tested a lot of materials including magnesium alloy... I mean how many of this statement needs to be repeated? >.>

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #242 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I'm not.

As for the plastic issue, have any of you considered that perhaps aluminum, etc. was tested and that it provided an unsatisfactory sonic result?

Would you rather have a metal headphone with sound flaws or one of durable plastic that sounded marvelous?

Further, has anyone heard of the plastic failing? There are some 4,000 or more pairs out there. If plastic was such a serious design flaw, where are the angry threads?

Very well stated! Funny about the 4000 sets of HD800s, mine are 4145. I am very impressed with them. They are incredibly amazing at making it sound like you`re in a concert hall with fantastic detail retrieval. One of the top 2 or 3 headphones I`ve ever heard!
beerchug.gif

Feb 7, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #243 of 685
Plastics are very reliable. The most popular sidearm in law enforcement is made by Glock. The bottom receiver and handle are a special "polymer" that reduces weight and is more durable than metal in regards to pitting, scratching and rust.

The HD800's s/n I received from Amazon today was over 5000

Feb 7, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #246 of 685
Thank you too Arnaud for your considered and thoughtful response. For the record, I have yet to say anything negative about the HD800's transducer. By the looks of it, I gather that it is the best-of-the-best. I have only heard the HD800 at J&R on a cheap audio receiver and really, there was no point to it. I have heard many stellar headphone systems including the Orpheus and, like I said, I was impressed but not convinced. It always seems to be the case, no matter what manufacturer of headphones. So I have the IE8, my iPod, my Mozart, and call it a day. That is just me. I almost sprung for the JH-13 Pro, but just before I did, wow, the JH-16 comes along. I put on the brakes. I know it is very difficult for people to believe, but the thread on the HD800 and plastic isn't about me. I really and strongly feel that all objects are designed and that design is a form of communication. The HD800 communicates, like a painting, a car, even a spoon. My main issue with the HD800 has been with the silver-spray painted plastic. People are tired of hearing about it, I know. I also think that Sennheiser referenced the design of the Qualia poorly also, but there is no more reason to get into it here. I will save it for that "other" thread. Yes, it is my axe to grind, my cross to bear, because it is important to me. It is my sincere wish that whatever my beliefs are or what yours are, or anyone else's for that matter, all opinions are respected, not because the opinions have value, but people have value. That is more important to me than any headphone. Maybe someday we can meet for a beer and hash things out in a respectful manner. Until then, thanks again.

Feb 7, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #247 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know it is very difficult for people to believe, but the thread on the HD800 and plastic isn't about me. I really and strongly feel that all objects are designed and that design is a form of communication. The HD800 communicates, like a painting, a car, even a spoon. My main issue with the HD800 has been with the silver-spray painted plastic. People are tired of hearing about it, I know. I also think that Sennheiser referenced the design of the Qualia poorly also, but there is no more reason to get into it here. I will save it for that "other" thread. Yes, it is my axe to grind, my cross to bear, because it is important to me. It is my sincere wish that whatever my beliefs are or what yours are, or anyone else's for that matter, all opinions are respected, not because the opinions have value, but people have value. That is more important to me than any headphone. Maybe someday we can meet for a beer and hash things out in a respectful manner. Until then, thanks again.

We just wish you'd **** about it in threads other than your own. You've had your rant, just don't pollute the rest of Head-fi with it.

Feb 8, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #248 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you too Arnaud for your considered and thoughtful response. For the record, I have yet to say anything negative about the HD800's transducer. By the looks of it, I gather that it is the best-of-the-best. I have only heard the HD800 at J&R on a cheap audio receiver and really, there was no point to it. I have heard many stellar headphone systems including the Orpheus and, like I said, I was impressed but not convinced. It always seems to be the case, no matter what manufacturer of headphones. So I have the IE8, my iPod, my Mozart, and call it a day. That is just me. I almost sprung for the JH-13 Pro, but just before I did, wow, the JH-16 comes along. I put on the brakes. I know it is very difficult for people to believe, but the thread on the HD800 and plastic isn't about me. I really and strongly feel that all objects are designed and that design is a form of communication. The HD800 communicates, like a painting, a car, even a spoon. My main issue with the HD800 has been with the silver-spray painted plastic. People are tired of hearing about it, I know. I also think that Sennheiser referenced the design of the Qualia poorly also, but there is no more reason to get into it here. I will save it for that "other" thread. Yes, it is my axe to grind, my cross to bear, because it is important to me. It is my sincere wish that whatever my beliefs are or what yours are, or anyone else's for that matter, all opinions are respected, not because the opinions have value, but people have value. That is more important to me than any headphone. Maybe someday we can meet for a beer and hash things out in a respectful manner. Until then, thanks again.

You can add me to the list of people tired of your rants. For crying out loud...one or two people have some issues and you beat the drums louder than GM employees screaming about Toyota's stuck pedal! This is NOT life and death and the issues are incredibly small. Of the thousands sold, you've barely heard anyone complain.

If you want to talk about cheaply made and appearing headphones, what about Grado...gobbs of glue, HF2 wood cracking, PS1000 scratch marks right out of the box and a bill of materials less than what appears to be $40.

I own the HD800s and I am very impressed with the build quality. They are outstanding to behold, are among the top 2 headphones I've ever heard and the most comfortable on my head. So please...enough
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #249 of 685
MacedonianHero, I really want to read a full-length review of HD800 vs T1 from your perspective...
sry back to the topic
smily_headphones1.gif

PS Maybe include "The Final cut" album (I think I saw in one of your post that you like it...don't remember clearly)

I wait... :p

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #250 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by UtzY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MacedonianHero, I really want to read a full-length review of HD800 vs T1 from your perspective...
sry back to the topic
smily_headphones1.gif

PS Maybe include "The Final cut" album (I think I saw in one of your post that you like it...don't remember clearly)

I wait... :p

I'm planning on it but a few things have kept me from it:

1.) I'm currently burning in the HD800s. I just got them on Friday (great job UPS!).
2.) The freakin' Superbowl....Go Saints! Great game so far with 2 minutes left.
3.) My 2 young kids...boy did they run me around this weekend.

I hope to have a comparison by mid-end of this week. I do certainly plan to ensure that Pink Floyd is involved. I own every album they've ever put out and I'm a huge fan for sure. I also plan to use some Beatles (from the recently remastered CDs), Led Zeppelin, and some jazz.

You are correct about the Final Cut. Skylab and I were joking about Roger Waters' self indulgences with that one. I happen to like it very much!

Initially I think I still prefer the T1s, but the HD800s are probably the second best headphone I've ever heard/owned.

Cheers
beerchug.gif

Feb 8, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #251 of 685
Decent article here about the Leegin decision by SCOTUS in 2007. Unfortunately, it does not focus on RPM, but rather MAP. Still, the final portion of the article is telling; I suspect that the Leegin decision will be significantly limited in the near to mid future.

Feb 8, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #252 of 685
Are the HD800 over priced? I don't know, really.. I just want one.. About plastic Vs metal.. If hard plastic is so superior why are tanks & air craft carriers made out of steel..Vintage cars etc.. IMO, the HE-5 has better build quality & construction then the HD800.. I'm sure the HD800 is durable, I just prefer metal, especially when it comes to the housing.

Feb 9, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #253 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About plastic Vs metal.. If hard plastic is so superior why are tanks & air craft carriers made out of steel..Vintage cars etc.. IMO, the HE-5 has better build quality & construction then the HD800.. I'm sure the HD800 is durable, I just prefer metal, especially when it comes to the housing.

Metal resonates and you don't want to have the headphone housing resonating in sympathy with the music.

The headphone designer will choose the best material for the job.

The material for the HD 800 was chosen because it was the best for the job, anything else and the sound would have been adversely affected.

Top end aerospace products often use "plastics" when it is best for the job.

A metal HD 800 would not have sounded anywhere near as good - and the designer certainly tried titanium and other metals - they were just not as good as the Leona polymer chosen for the final product. Headphones are for listening to, they are not an artwork. OK - looking good and feeling good is nice, but sounding great is what they are designed for.

Feb 9, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #254 of 685
It's better than the Orpheus, which people readily respect and buy for sometimes ten times the HD800's price.

The HD800 should be priced at $5,000 just to keep the riff raff from buying a pair, listening to them poorly amped, and then giving them a bad rep on head-fi.

Feb 9, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #255 of 685
MEMO

Re: people that think plastic is bad...

Sennheiser would've chosen jello if it had lower acoustic resonance than plastic... you go with what gives you the best sound, its basic science

Users who are viewing this thread

Back