Is the extra DAC beneficial?
Dec 9, 2010 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

m8chor

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have a short question hoping for answer.

At the moment my set up is:
Asus Xonar Essence ST (Used for Surround etc & DAC) -> LD MK IV SE -> DT990 (600ohm)

Would adding in an extra DAC be beneficial? Let's say using LD DAC II

It then becomes:
Asus Xonar Essence ST (Used for Surround etc) -> DAC -> LD MK IV SE -> DT990 (600ohm)

if so, is the difference big enough for the money?

Best regards,

m8chor

Dec 15, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #2 of 7
I had a similar chain to yours: Mbox Mini (External Sound Card) >> Woo WA6 >> DT880 (600ohm)

I was constantly wondering whether a better source would be a significant improvement and had my eye on a DacMagic. Curiosity got the best of me and I grabbed one on eBay.

As soon as it arrived I knew upgrading was a good decision. The difference was night and day over the Mbox, most noticeably better separation between instruments, a wider sound stage, and just so much more detail, especially in the top end.

You need to tell us your budget though as I'm not sure how much improvement you'd hear with some of the cheaper  (<$200) DACs out there, but if you can afford a quality DAC I'd say pull the trigger
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 15, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 7

Wrong forum section but what the hay!

Upgrading your source will give you your best chance for a step up in sound quality.  Amps, headphones, cables and tweaks will get you improvements, but a source is in the opinion of many, myself included, most likely the most important part of the sonic chain.  Though no one part should ever be dismissed.

Dec 15, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 7
Im in the same boat.  I have a HA-160 amp plugged into a sound blaster x-fi.  Would love to know what a external dac is going to do for me when using HD-650 headphones.........

Dec 15, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:

Wrong forum section but what the hay!

Upgrading your source will give you your best chance for a step up in sound quality.  Amps, headphones, cables and tweaks will get you improvements, but a source is in the opinion of many, myself included, most likely the most important part of the sonic chain.  Though no one part should ever be dismissed.

This.

up yoo transparency, if your chain allows you hear it.

Dec 15, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #6 of 7
The separate DAC/amp solution is the preferred 'audiophile' approach, but I look at the forthcoming Grace Designs M903 and think 'that (magnificent) lone box would do me just fine, thank you'.

Its not cheap, but neither is the cumulative cost of adding DACs, amps and headphones trying to find the elusive combination. Another solution that *might* get some of us off this %^&#^! merry-go-round is the StageDAC->Concerto combination, but you are still messing around with two power cords and another cable : might sound trivial, but I often miss the simplicity of a pair of IEMs plugged into a DAP.

Dec 16, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #7 of 7
Use computer as transport will be better let it be a player.

Use separate DAC to decoding, can isolation lots noise from computer. (Everything in computer will making noise.)

And change another DAC, can easy to upgrade to a better source.

SPDIF will better than USB, less transfer. (My experience)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back