is the denon d7000 still king of closed headphones
Nov 26, 2014 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Sound Eq

Headphoneus Supremus
i am in search for a closed can, and i own the audeze lcd2 and i love it, i was wondering how different the d7000 is from audeze

is the d7000 still considered the best there is in closed headphones under 1300 USD, i was considering closed planar ones like zmf vibro or alpha primes or even the fostex th900  but i don't know i need more feedback

what i look for is the best warm, rich, non shouty and great bass

what do u think guys

Nov 26, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 7
The D7000 is very different from the LCD2. it’s got more emphasis on the treble and more bass kick. more fun and exciting, but can be tiring depending on the recordings.

The TH900 are more refined than the D7000 but are still a V shaped sound. again, very different form the LCD2.

I have the alpha dogs (and previously the mad dogs) and they’re a bit closer to the LCD2 sound signature, but I think these have some shouter lower treble, too. The Mad Dogs are actually closer in tonality - they’re smooth and dark sounding - but they don’t have the same technical abilities (compressed soundstage, not the same amazing bass as the LCD2)

I’ve read the LCD-XC has some shoutiness in the mids, making it a  bit different from the LCD2, too. but that one is out of your price range.

Honestly, I would give the mrspeakers mad dog pro a shot (they’re 450) as you have a money back guarantee. they probably get closest to the lcd2 tonality and are a bit of a step up over the regular mad dogs in technicalities.

if you’re not so tied to the LCD2 sound, I would recommend the TH-900 as an awesome closed can.

Nov 26, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 7
  The D7000 is very different from the LCD2. it’s got more emphasis on the treble and more bass kick. more fun and exciting, but can be tiring depending on the recordings.

The TH900 are more refined than the D7000 but are still a V shaped sound. again, very different form the LCD2.

I have the alpha dogs (and previously the mad dogs) and they’re a bit closer to the LCD2 sound signature, but I think these have some shouter lower treble, too. The Mad Dogs are actually closer in tonality - they’re smooth and dark sounding - but they don’t have the same technical abilities (compressed soundstage, not the same amazing bass as the LCD2)

I’ve read the LCD-XC has some shoutiness in the mids, making it a  bit different from the LCD2, too. but that one is out of your price range.

Honestly, I would give the mrspeakers mad dog pro a shot (they’re 450) as you have a money back guarantee. they probably get closest to the lcd2 tonality and are a bit of a step up over the regular mad dogs in technicalities.

if you’re not so tied to the LCD2 sound, I would recommend the TH-900 as an awesome closed can.

i owned the mad dog but not the pro but its not an upgrade to the audeze lcd i have and i don't think the pro will be either, i was thinking about the th900 fir that price i would have really considered it if it was not for some negative reviews about it

my budget can go as high as 1800 use but then i would like it to as close to audeze lcd but with more bass

Nov 26, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #5 of 7

i owned the mad dog but not the pro but its not an upgrade to the audeze lcd i have and i don't think the pro will be either, i was thinking about the th900 fir that price i would have really considered it if it was not for some negative reviews about it

my budget can go as high as 1800 use but then i would like it to as close to audeze lcd but with more bass

no, it’s not an upgrade but it’s the only closed headphone i know of that has the LCD-2’s tonal character. Every other good closed headphone I can think of tries to be more V shaped in sound. Only reason why I brought it up. 

If you’re looking of an upgrade or a match to the LCD-2 but in closed form, I’m not sure if that’s out there. the LCD-XC, despite costing more, is considered more of a side grade (or downgrade) by some

Maybe the Alpha Prime is a better option but I have not heard it. Technically, it’s supposed to be a big jump over the Alpha Dog (cleaner, more defined, more air and separation, etc) and I’ve read the sound is less shouty in the high mids than the Dogs. and, again, 15 day return window in case it doesn’t work out for you.

edit: I just remembered the Slants and Enigma headphones form LFF. those might be what you’re looking for. read up on those. they’re t50rp mods. one of them is supposed to be more laid back, like the LCD-2. there should be impressions on here.

Nov 26, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 7

no, it’s not an upgrade but it’s the only closed headphone i know of that has the LCD-2’s tonal character. Every other good closed headphone I can think of tries to be more V shaped in sound. Only reason why I brought it up. 

If you’re looking of an upgrade or a match to the LCD-2 but in closed form, I’m not sure if that’s out there. the LCD-XC, despite costing more, is considered more of a side grade (or downgrade) by some

Maybe the Alpha Prime is a better option but I have not heard it. Technically, it’s supposed to be a big jump over the Alpha Dog (cleaner, more defined, more air and separation, etc) and I’ve read the sound is less shouty in the high mids than the Dogs. and, again, 15 day return window in case it doesn’t work out for you.

edit: I just remembered the Slants and Enigma headphones form LFF. those might be what you’re looking for. read up on those. they’re t50rp mods. one of them is supposed to be more laid back, like the LCD-2. there should be impressions on here.

thanks for your input that sound of the lcd2 is so dam good, that i really wish to find a closed identical sound of it, something about it is so amazing beyond the headphones i heard. Now I know that tr50 mods are many, i was think of the zmf vibro, and now i am looking at the lef, but i highly doubt that such an old driver can compete with the audeze despite the mods they try with that DRIVER.

I think its better to maybe wait another 6  months maybe something new comes out, i thought the song z7 would be my answer but apparently it is not a it has had its own share of bad reviews. I am thinking maybe the Oppo PM3 but so far I am getting that maybe it has not that of a great bass and might not be warm 

i wish i could go to a store where i can get to audition everything but that is just wishful thinking because where i love non of the headphones are available to audition 

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #7 of 7
To answer your original question - probably not.  I love my MD-7000 and considered it almost an equal to my TH-900 which I then sold.  For a closed can I used to think the D7000 was the best but then I bought a JVC HP-DX1000, which is now my best closed headphone I've tried.

Yes, I lean towards V shaped and make no apology for it - and I have tried many other highly regarded headphones.  List of them to compare -

Alpha Dog
Audeze XC
Ultrasone Sig Pro and Sig DJ

You could do a lot worse than a D7000.  Modded like mine is by Lawton Audio with his damping and pads, with a Q French Silk cable, it's a great headphone in its' own right.  The JVC just edges it because the bass is limitless - fed by my vintage amps, they both are incredible but the JVC bass is just unmatched along with the overall sound signature.  These both are far from one trick ponies - they sound great period. 

Oh, and the Sony Z7 is very close to the D7000 overall as well.  Love it to be honest with you.  So whatever "bad reviews" you've read, there are plenty of great reviews as well - I'm keeping my Z7 for the duration. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back