Is the DAP dead?????
Mar 8, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #2 of 146
No way. DAP is still the best toy for music lovers who are really addicted to listening music and not want to run out of smartphone battery.

Dont forget using ext dac requires power consumption from your smartphone.

Mar 8, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #3 of 146
Dead? No. Niche product? Yeah, probably.

I do see the author's point. But I don't want to use my phone for everything under the sun. I've tried using it as a music source and it just doesn't do it for me, and I'll admit that it likely has nothing to do with sound quality or functionality. I don't know that I can explain why I feel that way, I just know that I do, and that's enough for me.

Mar 8, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #4 of 146
DAP days will be over when people stop buying it :)

I prefer dedicated device. I like to go out to shop etc. and leave my phone at home. I prefer physical button than touch screen. I do not like charging my phone too frequently. I do not like pumping a lot of money into one device (damages, theft etc.).
My M3s sounds beautifully and rocks my Redmi Note 4.
If I was streaming fan, that would be different. But I like buying and collecting music (both digital and CDs) and building my library.

Mar 8, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #5 of 146
A phone should remain a phone and a dedicated music player should be just that.
I dont use a phone for music and will always use a dap

Mar 8, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #8 of 146
Not dead, but slowly dieing. For most folks , why carry multiple devices when one does it all. Music auficinado's and gadget geeks like most of the people here on head-fi, will continue to look for DAP's and other ways to get better music delivered to our ears.

Mar 8, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #9 of 146
Dead? Not for me. I'll always ensure I have at least one dedicated DAP on hand for pure audio enjoyment at home or on the go. Sure there's some quality phones that *can* do everything but at what cost? Battery life & annoying notifications/calls if you still need to be connected while listening. I agree with the comment that DAPs are a niche market but niches exist because of "that one person" so the DAP won't go away. Probably just get more expensive :wink:

Mar 8, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #11 of 146
Will a high-end-ish DAP possibly perform better than a DragonFly Red connected to a smartphone? Hope that's not too broad a question.

I've never tried any DAP's, but would be totally open to starting down that dark path if I think it would be worthwhile compared to my current portable solution, which is DFR-based...

Mar 8, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #14 of 146
I do use phone and Spotify to listen to some stuff. If I really like something I'll download it as a flac file and play it through one of my daps. I like having both

Mar 8, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #15 of 146
Op - good idea for a thread.

I'd disagree for three reasons - firstly, there is a speed and rapidity to change in the DAP market for sound quality which phones just can't match. Compare the Sony ZX2 to the Sony WM1A and the changes are astounding, given the three years between release. The software is more sophisticated and dedicated to sound quality with significantly more flexibility, the development of the 4.4mm balanced plug speaks to a search for hardware improvements. Phones on the other hand will always be about the device's communication protocols - how to improve reception, compatibility with 5G,6G etc, sound quality will always be second - that's why he needs the DFR.
Secondly He makes an observation about the obsolescence of the ZX2's operating system. Software updates anyone? His UAPP software may become unusable as well with changes in Android. Any electronic device which is reliant on software may suffer this approach - Apple's recent change to 64bit architecture has rendered a lot of apps/games unplayable under ios11. It is interesting that for DAPs there seems to be a movement away from Android and towards player specific software. I'd note furthermore that phone models change way more frequently than DAPs.
Thirdly its Darko...interesting guy - his view on music that could/should be played at Audio shows is well worth reading - however he is what in Australia is called a 'sh1t-stirrer': chasing controversy, for controversy's sake as he's doing here. Having an issue with carrying two devices on a plane sounds like a first world problem.Now for his thesis if you were going to talk about casual listening, then sure his view has merit - but he makes it clear he's talking about audiophiles. A DFR sounds better than a phone, but better than a Sony Zx300, an AK70 II, a Hiby R6, a Fiio X5iii - and these are mid level players - no. I guess his definition of an audiophile is different from mine (or the rest of the planet...)

To my mind there will always be a place for a DAP now that its been created (even apple hasn't dropped its iPod). Some people just don't like phones but do like music on the go.It may be niche as one of our colleagues pointed out, but it'll still be there. (BTW I found it hysterical that he's talking this way in his clip while there's a turntable prominently featured in the background...)

TBH I'd always recommend you buy what suits your circumstances/budget - which may be a phone and a DFR or Oppo Ha2SE (a more elegant arrangement to my mind), or a DAP with Tidal or a DAP without (my work for instance has certain phone-free/banned areas where only non-recording/transmission devices are allowed). Bear in mind also that you're buying a system - will your headphones/iems be able to driven by your chosen device?As always use your ears, if you can't repeatedly hear a difference, then don't throw money away.

regards,

Giles

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back