Is the DAP dead?????
Mar 9, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #33 of 146
I would also submit that the only Android company who is REALLY focusing on audio quality is LG. The rest of the companies are making a half-hearted gesture at best to serving their audiophile bases. That also ensures that DAPs will stick around for the foreseen future.

Also, until more bluetooth devices featuring 4.2 and 5.0 aptX/HD start hitting the streets, they'll remain around.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #34 of 146
I can careless about LG until someone steps up and tell me that the V30 can match my WM1Z and can drive my Vega and Utopia to equal level.

Mar 10, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #35 of 146
Is there any reason besides battery life and expandable storage why any DAP would outperform my iPhone when paired with a great dac+amp combo? I mean I get a great screen and a good UI, streaming and all the good stuff. Sure, you can't get DSD and stuff on a phone, but I am totally fine with some hi res files in FLAC or ALAC.

Mar 10, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #36 of 146
Is there any reason besides battery life and expandable storage why any DAP would outperform my iPhone when paired with a great dac+amp combo? I mean I get a great screen and a good UI, streaming and all the good stuff. Sure, you can't get DSD and stuff on a phone, but I am totally fine with some hi res files in FLAC or ALAC.
I think that midrange DAP have better AMP and better filter then smartphone. Everyone at smartphone talks about DAC but not about other components. V30 has good DAC but what about other staff? If we look how is built one Fiio Q1 mark 2 and we see smartphone it is obvious that missing a lot.
To answer you. It is not better if you pair it with something else.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #37 of 146
I wasn't talking about that, I was talking about why any DAP would be better than for example my iPhone with a Hugo2.

Mar 10, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #38 of 146
I can careless about LG until someone steps up and tell me that the V30 can match my WM1Z and can drive my Vega and Utopia to equal level.
I'm usually not about "fairness" when people compare, but 1Z is a 3000$ BRICK so V30 is definitely a better portable all-in-one solution at a more reasonable price.
It drives most headphones at "reasonable levels", but you obviously cannot expect the power output of 1Z with such a form factor and the current amp technologies.

The initial question is much relevant when talking about DAPs in the sub-700$ area with a small form factor, although I also think that smartphones manufacturers don't give a crap about audio, or least they do as long as it doesn't cost additional money. They just pretend to care in order to broaden the customer base.

Mar 10, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #39 of 146
Now it becomes another LG V30 discussion thread.

Mar 10, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #41 of 146

Well I just returned my ZX300 which as near same driving power as the 1A and many say once burnt-in sounds extremely close to the 1A. I know the 1Z has a bit more driving power.

The V30+ drives my HD660S to higher volumes than the ZX300 could and sounds easily as good to my ears, even compared to balanced on the ZX300.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #42 of 146

On page 2 you will see I posted a photo of my new V30+ next to my iPhone connected to a great DAC (DFR). FLAC still sounds better out of the V30+ with of all my ear/headphones.

I've previously had Mojo/HA2SE & even had Hugo 2 for a weeks trial and apart from the Hugo 2 I'd say it can compete against most DAC/DAPs. I've also recently had Sony ZX2 & ZX300 plus a Fiio X5III which are no better than the V30+ to my ears. I just have the Dragonfly Red left now but within few days I've had this phone its now 95% of my music listening.

Only thing I would say is the Mojo still has edge with DSD's when ball is set correctly to white via UAPP.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #43 of 146
Now it becomes another LG V30 discussion thread.

That's because its the only answer to say "Yes, the DAP can be dead for 90% of users".

No other phone comes close to this including the old Sony Z3 with dedicated DAC I used to have. (never tried the V20 which may be same)

Compared to all other phones then no, the DAP isn't dead. I would never have believed a modern smartphone could have audio quality & driving power of a decent DAP.

My SE846's are hiss magnets and even some detectable on Mojo, Hugo2 & DFR. This output from the V30 is as black as the balanced out was on my ZX300. No need to use my iFi IEMatch adapter with this phones output.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #44 of 146
I find the DFR superior to using the V30 on its own, even taking into account the added inconvenience of having to have it attached to the phone. The V30's sound quality is fine, but hardly so good that it makes other portable solutions obsolete.

Mar 10, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #45 of 146
I find the DFR superior to using the V30 on its own, even taking into account the added inconvenience of having to have it attached to the phone. The V30's sound quality is fine, but hardly so good that it makes other portable solutions obsolete.

Totally disagree with you on this, but we all have different hearing/headphones.

I've tried my DFR out of the V30 and no point using it if you have the latest UAPP alpha which works with the internal DAC. Even the new Tidal update that allows MQA Masters also sounds as good as the DFR playing MQA Masters via PC.

I'd still pickup a Hugo 2 for use at home/work (not using while mobile) if I could justify paying the price. I was considering selling the DFR now but just really like the little fella for use from a PC with Tidal and should work many years from now when the V30 is dead & buried.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back