Is the Asus Xonar Essence STX and Sennheiser HD650 a good combo?
Jul 15, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #61 of 78
Quote:
Well, it can be rather complicated to simulate a higher output impedance with dsp. Don't know why you would want to though. It's my experience that most users, not all, but most users, eventually get tired of bass boosts and just want high fidelity.

Most music are mastered for speakers.  Headphones can't produce the bass of subwoofers. There are some psychoaccoustic tricks, to give the illusion of a "better bass", that doesn't rely only on "boosting bass" (see maxxbass vst from waves). And you may want to use some crossfeed too.

Jul 16, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #62 of 78
Quote:
Most music are mastered for speakers.  Headphones can't produce the bass of subwoofers. There are some psychoaccoustic tricks, to give the illusion of a "better bass", that doesn't rely only on "boosting bass" (see maxxbass vst from waves). And you may want to use some crossfeed too.

Then check this out , Jude gave a similar explanation - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRyUOpFt1jI

Jul 16, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #63 of 78
Quote:

Well, it can be rather complicated to simulate a higher output impedance with dsp.

The frequency response effect (which is responsible for most of the audible difference) can be simulated by measuring the impulse response of a high impedance amplifier with the headphones connected, and then convolving the sound with the impulse response. Alternatively, it can be approximated by simulating a simple circuit that will reproduce the bass resonance and the rising impedance at the highest audio frequencies.

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #64 of 78
Hello Guys!

I recently bought a Asus Xonar Essence STX and going to buy a Beyerdynamic MMX 300 for gaming and music, and thinking of doing a Manufaktur on this Headphones.

The thing is that i can chose between 32 & 600 Ohm, so which one should I choose?

Will i be able to drive the MMX 300 to the full potential with the 600 Ohm or could it be any distortion? and if not is there any advantage of picking up the 600 Ohm?

I do have a Yamaha RX-A1020 in the same room that i can hook up with the STX if it would improve in sound quality?

Jul 25, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #66 of 78
I'd think the 600 ohm version would work better on the xonar stx,
because the xonar stx have an output impedance is 10 ohms, and it's advised to use impedance at least 8 bigger ( i.e > 80 ohms).
I 'd try to get an intermediary version like 25o ohms, so that you can plug it on mp3 players.

Jul 25, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #67 of 78
I've got at 32 ohm sennheiser and it sounds awesome aswell as senns hd650 and I've plugged in a 600ohm beyer. The stx sounds great no matter which ohm headphone or set I plug in. I even have a tube amp to test how much difference a source will make. Besides the tube style sound they pretty much drive the same :)

Jul 25, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #69 of 78
I really appreciate all the feedback i can get! and it leading more toward the 600 Ohm as there is no 250 Ohm to choose in the Manufaktur.

How would you describe the 32 Ohm in terms of sound and that it won't be optimal and frequency response might differ a bit from the intended one?

Some people on this and other forum was talking about 600 Ohm being more silent and balanced then a 32 Ohm, is this true ?

Jul 25, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #70 of 78
Even if this is for a different beyer model, this video might help you:

I  would just avoid the 32 ohm version then. It's a pity though you have to choose between high & low impedance, and nothing between.

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #71 of 78
Ok i think i understand how it works with the Ohm.

Is there any options for hooking up my Yamaha RX-A1020 with the STX by using a Optik or RCA, and would it improve the sound quality?

Jul 26, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #72 of 78
Ok i think i understand how it works with the Ohm.

Is there any options for hooking up my Yamaha RX-A1020 with the STX by using a Optik or RCA, and would it improve the sound quality?

You can use rca on the stx and in settings choose 2 speakers not headphone. The only problem is Dolby is disabled by doing this, it still sounds good but if you are gaming and like to use Dolby just use the stx amp and dac. Or if it has toslink spidf you can maintain the Dolby features and use the stx as a transport. I wrote Previously that the stx is the same as the tubes being driven On the hd650. After buying an external dac the tubes do have a bit of an advantage. But it's a $500 versus stx ($165) so its not a fair comparison.

Oct 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #75 of 78
I have an HD650 and STX and they both work well. I do not have other amps to compare it to but I use the headphone amp on stx and it does give the HD650 the proper power with clean sound. I've had the HD555 you will get sennheisers comfort and fit but the sound is not very good at all compared to the higher level senn models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back