Is the Asus Xonar Essence STX and Sennheiser HD650 a good combo?
Nov 24, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #76 of 78
I have been using the stx and hd650 combo for about a year now and they work quite well together.  I used to use the headphone out, but now run both the rca line outs and a spdif out to a Harmon-Kardon AVR-510 and the dac works quite well with the external amp.  Am considering getting a tube amp for the desktop, I am a little older than most here, I assume, and started out in the sixties with tube amps like the Fisher 400 before they were bought out, and then moved up (laterally) to thePioneer high end transister amp and tuner separates.  The sound of the tube amp was much "warmer" than the ultra flat and "colder" transister amps.  I enjoyed both, but differently, if that makes any sense.  The Hd650's work really well thru the stx so if you are still contemplating the two, put me down for a big plus.

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #77 of 78
Hey Guys Just my 50c worth. I have HD650's with the Essence ST and it's a pretty great combo. From what I have read on the forums I can still get more out of these with a dedicated headphone amp.

I have just purchased the Bottlehead Crack with speedball so will be interested to see how that sounds. I am assuming I can still use the ST as my DAC. Just putting it out there that I am fairly new to quality audio gear so I dont have much comparison at the moment, but if you want something to just get started the ST is a great card.

Jul 15, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #78 of 78
  Hey Guys Just my 50c worth. I have HD650's with the Essence ST and it's a pretty great combo. From what I have read on the forums I can still get more out of these with a dedicated headphone amp.

I have just purchased the Bottlehead Crack with speedball so will be interested to see how that sounds. I am assuming I can still use the ST as my DAC. Just putting it out there that I am fairly new to quality audio gear so I dont have much comparison at the moment, but if you want something to just get started the ST is a great card.

yep you can use the stx as your dac.

you just have to switch the out put in the contol center to analog speakers, instead of headphone

Run your cables from soundcard to your amp and you are all good  
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back