Is the 64audio u12t a good upgrade from the u4s?
Sep 4, 2023 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Yamil

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for that "final" endgame iem. I own the u4s, and while I love them, I'm looking for that "4k" quality of resolution. While googling iems at the 2k price range (that's my budget), I kept seeing the u12t listed. So, would I be getting that upgrade that I'm looking for, or should I look at other iems, like the Symphonium Audio Crimson, or any of those highly praised +1500$ iems...

Also, I'm just looking for an all rounder, I don't care about the party trick iems. I just want something that will play every genre and vocals well enough, for that price range. My only worry is that the u12t is quite old (2017, i think?), so I'm always wondering if the newer iems have accomplished what the u12t accomplished at a lower price point.

Sep 10, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 30
U12t are still very good technically. If you want references quality with overall balanced sound they are hard to beat for their current 2nd hand price.

I had upgraded to VE phonix now and find the phonix another level up. It's not significant upgrade but good enough for my (non-critical) ear to tell the difference in terms of midrange.

I am keeping the u12t for sound mixing and not planning to sell it.

Sep 11, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #5 of 30
Can't speak to U12t but IMO not worth getting too hung up on age - if anything the notion that it's remained a viable option amidst the introduction of new driver tech and as many other hyped IEMs have come and gone would, for me, be a point in its favor.

I think they just annoucned Can Jam SoCal, so if you're in San Diego (per your post header), maybe worth a trip w/ a list of things to try out. If you are ok with using extensive amounts of EQ and don't requrie isolation, the LCD-i4 might be interesting comparison.

Sep 11, 2023 at 4:35 AM Post #6 of 30
how would you rank it amongst your favorite iems?
My favorite IEMs top 10 list is:

1) CA's Andromeda MW10 and 64 Audio's Fourte (at par and depending on the song / mood)
2) CA's Andromeda Gold and 64 Audio's U12t (at par and depending on the song / mood)
3) 64 Audio's Trio
4) CA's Supermoon universal (great IEM but a bit bulky size-wise)
5) CA Andromeda OG and CA's Ara
6) Sony's Z1R (truly amazing bass, not airy enough for my personal preference and heavy / bulky. Can't wear for long)
7) QDC's Anole VX (once again a bit too bulky)
8) Monarch MK II (way too bulky for my ears)

To put things in context, my preference is for very V-shaped, technicality, resolution and detail has priority over close-accuracy of the response curve.
I like smaller shells, something I can wear for hours. I am also not EQ-shy, when needed to match my taste, I just go for it. You cannot fix poor technicalities but a frequency response is fixable.
(also I do not have much chance to try out IEMs randomly so I am only go for probable-end-game type of purchases)

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #7 of 30
My favorite IEMs top 10 list is:

1) CA's Andromeda MW10 and 64 Audio's Fourte (at par and depending on the song / mood)
2) CA's Andromeda Gold and 64 Audio's U12t (at par and depending on the song / mood)
3) 64 Audio's Trio
4) CA's Supermoon universal (great IEM but a bit bulky size-wise)
5) CA Andromeda OG and CA's Ara
6) Sony's Z1R (truly amazing bass, not airy enough for my personal preference and heavy / bulky. Can't wear for long)
7) QDC's Anole VX (once again a bit too bulky)
8) Monarch MK II (way too bulky for my ears)

To put things in context, my preference is for very V-shaped, technicality, resolution and detail has priority over close-accuracy of the response curve.
I like smaller shells, something I can wear for hours. I am also not EQ-shy, when needed to match my taste, I just go for it. You cannot fix poor technicalities but a frequency response is fixable.
(also I do not have much chance to try out IEMs randomly so I am only go for probable-end-game type of purchases)
Well it's good to see that in many people's list the u12t is somewhere in the top 3. I'll most likely end up getting them as my pinnacle iem.

Also, this completely unrelated, but I saw the Monarch mk II made it on the list. Do you plan on getting the Mk III? The fit of mk II was the only thing that ever stopped me from getting them. Personally, If I can't wear an iem for more than an hour before it starts aching, well I see no point in having them. Which is why I chose the safer option, the u4s, instead of the monarch mkIII.

Sep 11, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #8 of 30
Can't speak to U12t but IMO not worth getting too hung up on age - if anything the notion that it's remained a viable option amidst the introduction of new driver tech and as many other hyped IEMs have come and gone would, for me, be a point in its favor.

I think they just annoucned Can Jam SoCal, so if you're in San Diego (per your post header), maybe worth a trip w/ a list of things to try out. If you are ok with using extensive amounts of EQ and don't requrie isolation, the LCD-i4 might be interesting comparison
Having a chance to try IEMs upfront is the best way of buying anything.
Stacks of research, and a tight purchase-decisioning filter is an alternative approach for high-end but there is nothing like trying...
Well it's good to see that in many people's list the u12t is somewhere in the top 3. I'll most likely end up getting them as my pinnacle iem.

Also, this completely unrelated, but I saw the Monarch mk II made it on the list. Do you plan on getting the Mk III? The fit of mk II was the only thing that ever stopped me from getting them. Personally, If I can't wear an iem for more than an hour before it starts aching, well I see no point in having them. Which is why I chose the safer option, the u4s, instead of the monarch mkIII.
Mark II had great technicalities but it proved to be too uncomfortable for me to wear for long. Sound was really good but I sold them (same for the Z1R, etc..).
Can wear IEMs for hours, having to reshape my ears to hammer them in makes no point, regardless of how good they may sound.
Fully understand and share your views re going for a safer option.

Got close to buy a pair of Elysian Annihilator but, will not do so unless I have a chance of trying them first because of size reservations.
I have been flipping way too many expensive IEMs, and, to be true, I have plenty of tonal and dynamics choice across my preferred few not to have to get new IEMs for quite some time... so for me no Mk III or bulky acrylic shells of sort..
(+ I am borderline with the idea of selling my Supermoon due to their size too, despite how much I like them ...)

In my humble opinion U12t (detail) or Trio (a tad more energy slam) are two no-regrets options at may be considered ...

Sep 11, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #9 of 30

Shame that the MW10 are rare to be found, these are an Andro OG on steroids and sound so good!
This would be another pair of IEM to consider..

Sep 11, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #10 of 30
Shame that the MW10 are rare to be found, these are an Andro OG on steroids and sound so good!
This would be another pair of IEM to consider..
I never even thought about the comfort of acrylic shells. All of my mid-fi iems are acrylic and they don't make for the most comfortable iems, they're bearable, but not nearly as comfortable as my u4s or the 7hz Timeless AE, which are not made of acrylic shells. Could you tell me somethings that you like about the mw10? I'm also a fan of V-shape signatures. I believe I saw some pairs on ebay for around 1k$ (give or take), but to be quite honest, I am terrified of the second hand market. I already have bad luck with first hand market (faulty amps/ iems) I can't imagine my luck with the second hand market.

Sep 11, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #11 of 30
I never even thought about the comfort of acrylic shells. All of my mid-fi iems are acrylic and they don't make for the most comfortable iems, they're bearable, but not nearly as comfortable as my u4s or the 7hz Timeless AE, which are not made of acrylic shells. Could you tell me somethings that you like about the mw10? I'm also a fan of V-shape signatures. I believe I saw some pairs on ebay for around 1k$ (give or take), but to be quite honest, I am terrified of the second hand market. I already have bad luck with first hand market (faulty amps/ iems) I can't imagine my luck with the second hand market.
By acrylic shells I refer to, unavoidably larger shells hosting the number of drivers that are typical of (most) high-end IEMs.
Obviously it is an incorrect generalization but typically aluminum shells are smaller in size.. This said, as you mention there are plenty of non-gigantic acrylic/plastic shells (e.g. Westone's W80 are still so comfortable to wear, despite other options sounding much better to my ears). Did not mean to limit your preference. My bad..

MW10 is an Andromeda OG with boosted bass, higher 2k peak and highs (the only measurements I ever found are: https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...meda-mix-wave-mw10-reviews-impressions.11024/).
I did buy a second MW10 pair on ebay about a year ago from a Japanese seller, one of two IEMs was broken, I negotiated for the repair to be paid by the seller. Shipped the MW10s to CA (in my single-instance experience, amazing customer services and support by CA) and got them back as new (the broken one was actually replaced).
Buying out of eBay can be a mixed experience but, I have always come out fine out of luck + PayPal's / eBay's protection.

This said, if you have a single 1k-shot, personally I would consider 64 Audio over MW10.
MW10 is a fantastic pair of IEMs but without have a chance to try them, my personal choice would be U12t. MW10 seem to me more of a collector item than a mainstream choice.
I have impression that U12t (or Trio) would hold value better and be more easily resellable, should ever want to do so.
(if any more experienced Head-fiers have a different view, please share your perspective too. I have my own personal preferences re IEMs but my preferences are, personal and, likely, not reflecting any majority's perspective).

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #12 of 30
You have a point though, lol. A lot of those high end iems have humongous shells, even the z1r, which is one of the most luxurious iems I've seen is a chunky boy. Originally, the Elysian Gaea was going to be my next iem, but it had 7mm nozzles... so I couldn't risk that fit.

You're actually one of the few people I've seen to really enjoy campfire audio iems, which is why is asked for your personal experience, since I don't hear too many great things from campfire audio. The only iem that might be a possible contender to buy would be the symphonium Crimson, but that iem came out like 2-3 weeks ago, so I might have to go to canjam to try it out.

Regardless, thank you for your input.

Sep 12, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #13 of 30
You have a point though, lol. A lot of those high end iems have humongous shells, even the z1r, which is one of the most luxurious iems I've seen is a chunky boy. Originally, the Elysian Gaea was going to be my next iem, but it had 7mm nozzles... so I couldn't risk that fit.

You're actually one of the few people I've seen to really enjoy campfire audio iems, which is why is asked for your personal experience, since I don't hear too many great things from campfire audio. The only iem that might be a possible contender to buy would be the symphonium Crimson, but that iem came out like 2-3 weeks ago, so I might have to go to canjam to try it out.

Fit matters... what is the point of an IEM to sound amazing if it unpleasant to wear? ... 7mm is quite chunky, never looked at that model I would be very mindful too.
That would need a careful fit trial with a large combination of tips even before checking the sound.
Regarding CA you are right but I have to say that I prefer their older models: OG, MW10, Gold, Ara (with a fair share of EQ-ing). Personally, with the exception of Supermoon, I am not so much into their latest IEMs despite thoroughly enjoying some of their older ones...

Symphonium Audio Crimson looks interesting (in particular I am curious about Flat + Phat), their pre-sale is sold out, there might be a chance to try them out somewhere on my next trip to SG early next year .. by then there may be also a few reviews and a frequency measurement available...

Thank you too for the pleasant exchange of messages.

Sep 13, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #14 of 30

Completely forgot to mention ... IE600 ... nicely v-shaped, incredibly comfortable to wear (even when sleeping e.g. on a plane), and pretty good value for money!
Those are another one of my top-ones that I am not going to sell that lightly.

Sep 14, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #15 of 30
Completely forgot to mention ... IE600 ... nicely v-shaped, incredibly comfortable to wear (even when sleeping e.g. on a plane), and pretty good value for money!
Those are another one of my top-ones that I am not going to sell that lightly.
I've heard many hype the ie200... I believe they're similarly tuned, no? I even saw the ie900 for 500$ on ebay but then i got sketched out, it looked too good to be true. I'll probably get the ie 200 or 300 to get a feel for a single dd and just the ie line up, and if I like, then get the 600. This is after my pinnacle u12t of course :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back