Is Taobao Legitimate?
May 12, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #16 of 34
Yes true but warranty might be an issue too. For example for the Shures it says customs arrivals, no packaging, no accessories. Personally I'll just get a 2nd hand.

I'll be going Beijing in a months time, I'm definitely going to their electronics market hunting for these!

May 12, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #17 of 34
Hm, I forgot about warranty issues. But I'd still get it for the price
biggrin.gif

Let us know if you find anything in the Beijing markets, please. Last time I went, I couldn't find anything at Silk Street Market or the Red Bridge (I think that was the name?). Anyhow, good luck!

Quote:
Yes true but warranty might be an issue too. For example for the Shures it says customs arrivals, no packaging, no accessories. Personally I'll just get a 2nd hand.

I'll be going Beijing in a months time, I'm definitely going to their electronics market hunting for these!

May 12, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #18 of 34
May 12, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #19 of 34
I had experience with TaoBao before when I was in China, whether the IEMs are fake or not heavily depends on the seller. BE WARNED that THERE ARE fake stuffs on there. And if it is not a reputable seller and if the price is too cheap to be true, guess what? IT IS VERY LIKELY to be fake, I have friends who purchased from there that got fake stuff. So If I were you, I wouldn't take the chance.

May 13, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #20 of 34
And I just went to some of your links, most of them are saying: No receipt, no box, no accessory, and 90% new. Ok, that's another way of saying they are open box (if they had a box to begin with), used(and accessories are taken by others if there were some) with no warranty on these possibly fake IEMS for 130-200 dollars. That's just ridiculous.

May 13, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #21 of 34
I would rather take a chance at ebay than this site. Because, with ebay, you have right to complain if you get counterfeit good and you'd get your money back. But this one, I presume you are out of luck.

May 13, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #22 of 34
If you are going to China, just find an authorized dealer of (Whatever brand you want) and then go there. It's usually cheaper (At least Westones are) than here.

May 13, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #23 of 34
I'm always dealing with China audio agents... apperently many very 'special' price earphones are totally fake... 

for example, they claim is rejected item. why they even bother to assemble the whole product when one of the part are rejected?

OEM product, YES there are seriously some OEM products. Quite hard to get one thou and the build quality are not promising. BTW some OEM are actually stolen product from the factory. Thats why they doesn't come with boxes and other accessories.

original parts but assembly at their own factory. see their diamonds and rating... some are what they claim...

High copy? means fake but with slightly better quality.

Actually, some non-original product have good SQ, it just not as good as the real thing and the build quality is the biggest problem.

hope this helps :)

May 13, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #24 of 34

If it's way cheaper than the US, it's either a fake, or a factory test model with no serial number.
Branded/genuine electronics in China commands a premium (unless they are China homegrown brands). 

May 14, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #25 of 34
i want to buy some rare earbuds like Sony E484 , but too scared because there are many fakes in china, usually the seller of taobao always has good rating, reputation, and positive feedback. Dont know if it is real or fake

May 14, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #26 of 34
Checked the links you've posted, well, the SE530 was used  UM3X also, was used Ck100, used
CK10 totally fake products,
Well  i suggest, do not buy it,
The price on Taobao sometimes attractive, but, in fact, most of the time, it was a trap,
some of the earbuds were fake, some were used, and shipped from other county, like US

May 14, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #27 of 34
I have bought several items on Taobao since there are a lot of genuine products as well. Totally depends on the item though. Most China-manufactured brands/products like Ibasso, Little Dot, Ramos, Teclast, DIY lod's etc are genuine and are sold at a decent price. Most headphones are fake though. For example, genuine Sennheiser earphones in China are mostly MORE expensive than here in Europe. Same goes for genuine Audio Technica cans. Any price miles below MSRP is definitly suspicious.

Also, the rating system there has nothing to do with the authenticity of the product. It mostly reflects the experience the buyer had with handling and shipping. 

May 15, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #28 of 34
Thanks for the information, guys. Appreciate it. But for the heck of it, I might as well just get myself a pair of Shure SE530's because I've never heard of them being faked and the seller looks like he's got a ton of positive reviews. Again, I might get a pair. :)

May 21, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #29 of 34
Quote:
i want to buy some rare earbuds like Sony E484 , but too scared because there are many fakes in china, usually the seller of taobao always has good rating, reputation, and positive feedback. Dont know if it is real or fake
Good ratings for the service and experience only. 
And many consumers couldn't really differentiate the sound of a genuine and a fake. As long as they hear an improvement & it has a western brand on it, they're happy.

May 21, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #30 of 34
That's because people buying the 'fashion products' on taobao want fakes 
smile_phones.gif
 If they wanted the real goods, they'll take a shopping trip into the cities or Hong Kong. 
Quote:
Welcome! (Though I'm pretty much a noob also) "Look at their Ralph Lauren or Lacoste page, tons of people buy from them, but trust me they are all fake." It's true that their positive feedback doesn't exactly mean legitimacy, but the odds of selling fake Shure SE530's or Westone 3's doesn't seem likely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back