Is my theory correct?
Dec 29, 2002 at 2:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

BoardC3

500+ Head-Fier
To me it seems like people like the brand that they like and basically nothing else. Im wondering if the brand you prefer has an effect on the first high-end headphones youve used for a long time. For example I used my Grado SR-60's for about a year for my first hi-end headphone and I LOVE the grado sound. The senn 580's and lower senns i didnt like at all and the etymotic ER-4P i HATED. i know this isnt correct for all people here but im wondering if it does affect people opinions. Please write it out this way.

First high-end headphone: Grado SR-60
Favorite all-time headphone: Grado RS-1
Favorite headphone brand: Grado

Dec 29, 2002 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 27
My first headphone (this year) was the Senn HD570. Hate it.

Before that, about 20 Sony earbuds. Hate Sony.

Grado SR80. Hate it. (liked it at first. three weeks later, hated it). Gave it to my brother for Christmas.

Then I tried the ATH AD10. Hate it. Lost a lot of money. Will never buy another ATH without listening to it first (like for at least a week).

Now I have the AKG K501. Like it. Could be a little brighter.

I love the DT831 and K1000.

Awia AK100? Do not like. Had to do too many mods to make it musical.

Philips 910? Not comfortable enough. Nice sound. Slightly bright. Sold it after 3 days. May have kept it, but the DT831 blew them away.

I have heard the Sony V6, Porta-Pro, Senn HD580, Senn HD590, Senn HD600, Grado SR325, and ATH W2002. Don't like any of them (enough to buy)

so to answer your question:
First high-end headphone: Koss Pro 4AA
Favorite all-time headphone: DT831
Favorite headphone brand: Beyer Dynamic

Dec 29, 2002 at 2:26 AM Post #3 of 27
I think if you had a good experance with your first set of headphones you tend to like that brand. If you had an even better experance with your 2nd pair, you go with that brand.

I think usually it's the 2nd pair people tend to go with. Your second pair is usually better then your first.

I'm sure it also has to do with what music you prefer. Grados seem to be more famious for their bass and more for metal/heavy rock listeners. Classical Music lovers and people who demand comfert seem to enjoy Sennheisers.

Sony seems to be the choice for them "hip-hoppers" nike brand wearing DJ wanna be Highschoolers. That usually go for looks and famious brand name.

Bottom line... I haven't got a clue!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2002 at 2:41 AM Post #4 of 27
wow john you are very particular in your tastes.

i would likely be satisfied with half of the ones you listed.

Dec 29, 2002 at 5:04 AM Post #6 of 27
It has been noted before on Head-Fi that it is easy to become accustomed to the sound of a headphone. Listen a lot to Senn 600s for a week and most Grados will sound tinny and screechy. But stick with the Grados and they sound better and better. After a week, they sound great. Put on the Senns again and they sound veiled. Etc..
I've experienced this myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2002 at 7:29 AM Post #7 of 27
wallijonn
HI: Now with all respect you had a chance to get the ATH-A1000 but instead you got junk ATs. Now you don't even know what you are missing because you used your great mind and got the other ATs that cant hold a candle to the ATH-A1000. So please. Just because you feel that you have high intelligence it don't say much for your choice in the ATs that you got. The AtH-A1000 are the best headphones out there for the money and sometimes being to smart makes you real dumb
biggrin.gif
I mean no offense but all this hight tone talk you do and you still don't have the ATH-A1000.

Dec 29, 2002 at 11:15 AM Post #9 of 27
First high-end headphone: Sennheiser HD-580
Favorite all-time headphone: Stax Omega II
Favorite headphone brand: Stax

Hmm...

Dec 29, 2002 at 3:00 PM Post #10 of 27
First high-end headphone: Sennheiser 580
Favorite headphone: AT W2002
Favorite brand: AT

Dec 29, 2002 at 3:05 PM Post #11 of 27
First semi-decent headphone: Koss Sportapro
First high-end headphone: Sennheiser HD580
Favorite all-time headphone: Grado HP-1
Favorite headphone brand: none

Waiting for a pair of Etymotic ER4S'...

Dec 29, 2002 at 3:26 PM Post #12 of 27
I have the Senn HD580, Etymotics ER4P, Onkyo D-N5 minimonitors
evil_smiley.gif
, newly bought 2nd-hand (
tongue.gif
) Pioneer S-W200 sub--like them all
biggrin.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 29, 2002 at 3:49 PM Post #13 of 27
First Entry Level: Grado SR-60
First High-End: Grado RS-1
Favourite Phone: Grado HP-1

I guess one could draw a conclusion from this
wink.gif

However, I don't have "brand loyalty" in the respect that I will automatically dismiss other companies. I have ety's and use them every day for an hour or so. I would like to purchase some Senn HD600's and perhaps Omega II's or the R10's will be interesting as well.

Dec 29, 2002 at 3:59 PM Post #14 of 27
I make it a point to listen to all my 'phones on a fairly regular basis. I can find something to like in each of them. There are times, however, when I get hooked on a particular sound for a week or so. This Beyer DT770 thing, however, has been going on longer than expected. I think the fact that they are closed, and my wife is in the same room watching TV or reading, has something to do with it. With the open 'phones, I constantly get the old "turn it down."
As for brand loyalty, I'd have to say, on the whole, I prefer Grado......even more so after seeing where and how they are made.
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2002 at 4:14 PM Post #15 of 27
My first headphone was any closed Pioneer model, if I remember right. My first high-end headphone according to my today's measures probably have been the Beyerdynamic DT 990.

My standard headphone now is my HD 600; I like it a lot. I seem to like the Sennheiser sound, at least I like the lower HD 545 model a bit, though not enough to keep it (I gave it to my son). Well, my HD 600 doesn't sound like the stock one anymore, with my self-made cable and without the notorious foam pads; thus they sound much more open and free from the «veil» that they admittedly have to a certain degree in their original form – surprisingly most other people don't like the sound that way, but to me it's the ultimate experience of fidelity, at least within the limits the HD 600 design allows.

But I don't think I'm a Sennheiser fan. I just like an unspectacular sound, in which I can find all emotions and even the spiritual dimension of the music without being pushed to concentrate to an earthshaking bass or sizzling highs which make everything sound interesting. I can make friends with the direct Grado sound, using the treble-taming flat pads, although there's always still a certain amount of sharpness I perceive as unnatural after all. From what I've read I can imagine that the HP 1000s could meet my sonic demands better, but I'm not sure about the midrange coloration the deep tube-shaped housings of the aluminum and wood models possibly all carry with them (when I think of the SR-325 I own, compared to the plastic models missing this signature, which BTW can be seen on the Headroom curves as a 2/2.2 kHz hump with the 325 and both RS models...).

I need some good, solid bass, not to experience the pure intellectual, but also the sensual dimension of the music, so the AKG K 501 are not entirely satisfying for most of the recordings (though for some they are). The same applies in a certain measure to the Stax Lambda Pro a had some years ago for a short period of time, but it was even more its scratchy character which finally made me part from it. Now that I own two self-built electrostatics which both provide a very strong and deep bass at least equal to the dynamic headphones I know and lack that scratchy timbre at all, thanks to their angled drivers (maybe that's how the SR-404 are designed?) while sounding ultimately transparent and detailed (with the Lambda Signature drivers), I must say that this is a sound which I can listen to without ever get fatigued and which fulfill all the criteria which are important to me. The highs are ultra detailed, but not exposedly so – thus very different to the Grados, which in turn seem to be very slow in comparison. And their soundstage can be called spectacular, but it doesn't demand permanent attention. The only downside, at least to my ears: I miss a bit of the HD 600's midrange, they're just slightly too «extended» to both ends. So it's the HD 600 which has most of my attention; it has nearly all the qualities of the (Signature) electrostat and additionally that sweet and natural midrange. And I don't really miss much details in the treble: they're absolutely there, just a bit less obvious. Besides I like its fast, solid and extended bass, although it's not that «bassy» as the Grado's.

My second favored headphone is the Etymotic ER-4S. It's quite different from the electrostats and the HD 600; to my ears, it's just another possibility to image the musical events on a recording: in a very direct way, without the common «soundstage» which usually is provided by the headphone's radiation characteristic. But it's easy for me to build my own soundcape in my head and to project it to the outside – a really wonderful experience. I mustly use it with my portable Archos MP3 Jukebox, plainly out of its fairly good headphone jack.

I'm quite suspicious against the current Audio Technica hype. From what I read I suppose that even the highly praised 1000 models could have a kind of spectacular sonic signature. But maybe such a speculation is unfair – I just have no access to Audio Technica headphones.

According to Vertigo's statements I can imagine that the Omega II would be another headphone which meets my personal taste.

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back