is mp3 320kbps good enough for sennheiser hd 598?
Sep 25, 2011 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 129

takeshibeat

New Head-Fier
hi,im new here
i have marantz mcr 502 hifi system and i listen to music on it via usb stick
(because the cd player is damaged,so it doesn t work)
the music which is in the usb stick is in mp3 format with bitrate of 320kbps
i have moved to a new flat in which i have problems with the isolation
so i can listen to music just with headphones in it
i want to buy the sennheiser hd 598 headphones
but i m afraid that the sound quality of the  music in mp3 320kbps format won t be good enough  for such good headphones
if my cd player on the hifi still had worked i would already buy those headphones because all my cd disc are original or burned from lossless format albums(flac,ape)
so such sound from the cd would be quality enough for such great headphones
so im asking if someone can answer me if the music in 320kbps(via usb) would be good enough for the sennheiser hd 598 headphones or are such headphones just for cd albums that are original or in lossless format,if its so than i guess i should buy some cheapier headphones that would better fit in with music in 320kbps
although i have read on some forum sites on the net that mp3 320kbps has the same sound quality like flac

Sep 25, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #2 of 129
320kbps MP3s will likely sound indistinguishable from CDs.

Sep 25, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #3 of 129
i don t have the word indistinguishable in my dictionary
so could you please describe what that word means??
do you wanted to write that 320kbps mp3s will sound the same like the music from the original cd
and that when i listen that music with those phones it would be like i listem the music from original cd with those headphones or did you mean that mp3 320kbps mp3 will sound different than original cd with those headphones

Sep 25, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #6 of 129
Well IMO 320kpbs doesnt sound quite as good as flac in terms of dynamics and some other things but overall they sounds pretty good and wont really diminish your listening enjoyment like for example a 128 or 192kbps mp3 would... So basically yes 320kbps are fine but obviously higher is better.

Sep 25, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #8 of 129
Indistinguishable is an adjective meaning that something cannot be identified as different from whatever you are comparing it to.

You can burn 320KB mp3s and flacs and test out the difference yourself, if you want to hear the difference.

Even better would be to use some ABX type testing, but I'm just going to say that 320K MP3  files sound practically identical to lossless. 

hydrogenaudio.org has a lot of information about encoding, and digital audio in general.

Anyways I would go one step further and just use -v0 VBR encoding with lame for mp3 encoding. 

Sep 25, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #10 of 129
lossless is over-rated bud. as long s the original mastering is good you won't hear the hint of difference. modern compressors got so damn good it'll be hard to tell going from even some 128kb/s to complete lossless 24-bit WAV.

there is no to non difference in 24-bit vs. 16-bit either. all 24-bit might add is little extra dynamic range but that extra dynamic range usually ends up as distortion.

Sep 25, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #11 of 129
i convert the flac format to mp3 320kbps with foobar2000 program
by the foobar2000 converter setup it stands for output format-format:mp3(lame),320kbps cbr
(i downloaded lame.exe from the net)
is this way of converting allright or did i make something wrong by converter setup and need to change it
sometimes i convert flac to mp3 320kbps with the program anyaudioconverter which i have too

is this way of converting allright or did i make something wrong
(i didnt mention i rip the original cds with jetaudio in flac and after that i convert it in mp3 32okbps in foobar or anyaudioconverter)

Sep 25, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #12 of 129
Quote:
i convert the flac format to mp3 320kbps with foobar2000 program
by the foobar2000 converter setup it stands for output format-format:mp3(lame),320kbps cbr
(i downloaded lame.exe from the net)
is this way of converting allright or did i make something wrong by converter setup and need to change it
sometimes i convert flac to mp3 320kbps with the program anyaudioconverter which i have too

is this way of converting allright or did i make something wrong
(i didnt mention i rip the original cds with jetaudio in flac and after that i convert it in mp3 32okbps in foobar or anyaudioconverter)

That's fine. You can also choose to use Variable Bitrate with LAME. V0 or V2 quality levels are the best options. V0 will sound almost identical to 320kbps (and almost identical to lossless) but will be a bit smaller (probably around 256kbps in size). V2 is slightly smaller than V0, and probably won't make a difference in sound either, though you're getting into more heavily compressed territory at that point. I encoded most of my music to V0 for portable use, but encoded a few recent albums to V2 to fit them all on my Clip+. I may try out Ogg Vorbis eventually, but don't worry about that for now 
smile.gif

Sep 25, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #14 of 129
320 has been good enough for me on every headphone I've tried, (Sony v6, Sennheiser 280, Grado sr60, Koss dj100, as well as a few speaker systems), so even if there might be a slight difference, which after many years of training your ears you might be able to hear some of the time, I am so far putting my stock in the "320 is just as good as lossless, on nearly everything" vote.

Sep 25, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #15 of 129
It really depends on the recording.

If you convert a flac file to a high bitrate mp3/mp4, then the differences are really tiny, if any.

If you compare a flac file to an mp3 version of the same song you downloaded from the interwebz (sites like mediafire, megaupload), then there might be some really significant artifacts in the song. An example would be A7X's Afterlife FLAC file and the same file converted to 400kbps AAC and high bitrate mp3. They sounded identical. I downloaded an mp3 version of the same song from a shady source and I noticed some random palm-mute-ish sounds in the middle of the guitar solo in the shady version that was missing in the original FLAC, AAC and mp3 files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back