Is monster turbine pro gold worth its price tag?
May 13, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 28
If you can get them cheap--$175 or so--do it. Avoid at near-retail prices.

May 13, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #3 of 28
yes the mtpg are worth there price if your looking for the kind of sound that they produce, which is a bass oriented ,very warm analoge type of sound , with bright midrange and a sparkly treble .

May 13, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #4 of 28
I agree with Luco. If you like the sound signature the golds provide, then they are worth it for $200 or under (from an authorized dealer only--Do Not Buy MTP golds or coppers or MDs from Head-fi posters or on ebay or from anyone who's not an authorized Monster seller, you want the awesome warranty they come with). The build quality is very good. They are underrated here on head-fi, I think.

If you'd like a more neutral type of analog sound with even better detail, less quantity (more balanced) of bass (but can still boom when the music calls for it) and treble extention, then the coppers are great. They are my favorite IEM, but be sure you want a more neutral sound sig. I think if you can get them for less than about $250, you've gotten a fine price. The newer coppers out now have a more relaxed cable (better), more and better eartips and a minor manufacturing defect has been corrected, so it's all good (like I said above, don't buy any of these monster iems used, only buy from an authorized Monster seller).

The MDs have a recessed treble (relative to the copper and gold) with warmer mids like the golds. The bass is closer to the quantity of the golds with the quality of the coppers. I found the golds to be a better listen because I didn't like the MD's warm, forward mids with recessed treble--but the sound quality of the MDs and coppers is better. Detail and quality of sound are the same as the copper (they have exactly the same tech according to the president of Monster Cable, as quoted in an avguide interview), but the sound sig is quite different. I didn't like it except when listening to the archival recordings that the MD sound sig was designed for. I think $250 or under would be a good price, like the coppers.

May 15, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #5 of 28
Agreed, worth is a matter of fitment towards your personal tastes.  The Gold is a decent earphone.  It isn't godly in any way, and it has a LOT of competition around its price point, a number of them I'm quite fond of.

I wouldn't really call the Gold bass heavy.  There are plenty of other earphones out there that spank the Gold in terms of bass quantity.  The bass quality is good though and well extended.  The greatest strength of the Gold is mostly its midrange.  Trebles are a bit laid back and lacking some clarity and edge that can be found in other earphones.  They are overall laid back in nature and pleasant to listen to.  They don't really lack in any major way and are largely well balanced.  They do seem to be geared towards folks who prefer to play their music at louder volumes.  They are a bit mild mannered at lower levels, and it seems they've geared them expecting people to listen to them at moderate volumes.  They aren't the best in terms of clarity and separation though and don't particularly like complex tracks to which they have trouble maintaining separation between sounds.  It's a thicker, more blended type of sound.  The sound stage of the Gold is relatively power with little sense of placement of sounds due to this blending.  The benefit of the Gold is that it doesn't really do anything all that bad, and for this it is a good earphone by default.  It has a number of good qualities like its good frequency response balance, good texture of note, and good level of detail.  Is it the right earphone?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  There's a number of other earphones I'd opt for over the Gold, but a lot of it comes down to personal preference. 

May 15, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #6 of 28
Was thinking of picking this up myself, found a good deal. The way you describe the Gold is a lot like the original Turbine, which I found had a blended soundstage thick with sound.  Seems the Golds really the upgraded version of the vanilla Turbines, unlike the Copper which seems to be an entirely different beast altogether.

May 15, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #7 of 28

Quote:
I agree with Luco. If you like the sound signature the golds provide, then they are worth it for $200 or under (from an authorized dealer only--Do Not Buy MTP golds or coppers or MDs from Head-fi posters or on ebay or from anyone who's not an authorized Monster seller, you want the awesome warranty they come with). The build quality is very good. They are underrated here on head-fi, I think.

If you'd like a more neutral type of analog sound with even better detail, less quantity (more balanced) of bass (but can still boom when the music calls for it) and treble extention, then the coppers are great. They are my favorite IEM, but be sure you want a more neutral sound sig. I think if you can get them for less than about $250, you've gotten a fine price. The newer coppers out now have a more relaxed cable (better), more and better eartips and a minor manufacturing defect has been corrected, so it's all good (like I said above, don't buy any of these monster iems used, only buy from an authorized Monster seller).

The MDs have a recessed treble (relative to the copper and gold) with warmer mids like the golds. The bass is closer to the quantity of the golds with the quality of the coppers. I found the golds to be a better listen because I didn't like the MD's warm, forward mids with recessed treble--but the sound quality of the MDs and coppers is better. Detail and quality of sound are the same as the copper (they have exactly the same tech according to the president of Monster Cable, as quoted in an avguide interview), but the sound sig is quite different. I didn't like it except when listening to the archival recordings that the MD sound sig was designed for. I think $250 or under would be a good price, like the coppers.

@ kunlun ,well said kulun, you hit the nail on the head with that assessment id say ,keep up the good work buddy

Quote:
Agreed, worth is a matter of fitment towards your personal tastes.  The Gold is a decent earphone.  It isn't godly in any way, and it has a LOT of competition around its price point, a number of them I'm quite fond of.

I wouldn't really call the Gold bass heavy.  There are plenty of other earphones out there that spank the Gold in terms of bass quantity.  The bass quality is good though and well extended.  The greatest strength of the Gold is mostly its midrange.  Trebles are a bit laid back and lacking some clarity and edge that can be found in other earphones.  They are overall laid back in nature and pleasant to listen to.  They don't really lack in any major way and are largely well balanced.  They do seem to be geared towards folks who prefer to play their music at louder volumes.  They are a bit mild mannered at lower levels, and it seems they've geared them expecting people to listen to them at moderate volumes.  They aren't the best in terms of clarity and separation though and don't particularly like complex tracks to which they have trouble maintaining separation between sounds.  It's a thicker, more blended type of sound.  The sound stage of the Gold is relatively power with little sense of placement of sounds due to this blending.  The benefit of the Gold is that it doesn't really do anything all that bad, and for this it is a good earphone by default.  It has a number of good qualities like its good frequency response balance, good texture of note, and good level of detail.  Is it the right earphone?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  There's a number of other earphones I'd opt for over the Gold, but a lot of it comes down to personal preference. 

@mvw2 ,nicely put ,and accurate statements that i totally agree with apart from the bass heavy bit, i would say they are bass heavy but every ones ears are differrent so thats cool .
happy_face1.gif
 , just out of interest which iems have more bass ? thanks

May 15, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #8 of 28
It's a relative statement really.  When I say bass heavy, I mean the bass completely overwhelms the rest of the frequency response.  It just doesn't really do that.  The amount of bass will depend upon the tips and seal you get.  The stock tips aren't exactly great about getting a really good seal, at least not versus a good foam.  With a light seal, the midrange is slightly dominant.  With a good seal, it's slightly warm and it is centered slightly towards the higher bass line.  I even have a number of other non bass heavy earphones lying around, and even against those, the Gold does not sound bass heavy.  Relative to the Copper, I know it has more.

What has more bass, well just from your list, I would say the IE8, W3, and TF10.  I've personally owned the IE8 and TF10 but opted to try out the UM3X over the W3.  The TF10 and W3 would of course also be relatively strong in treble too.  Any of the 3 has more authority and presence.  I also have the Custom 3 and have owned the SE530.  I consider something like the Custom 3 to be pretty well balanced.  The MTPG has more high bass but around the same low bass.  The MTPG has a softer midrange and top end relative to the Custom 3, and the MTPG comes across with more bass presence, but you need a tight seal and even then the bass is not overwhelming.  We both appear to be familiar with a good number of the same earphones.  Another earphone that is a good example of a bass dominant earphone is the Eterna.  This is an earphone that has an overwhelming bass line that is the center of attention.  It's midrange and treble is well balanced and the bass emphesis is low, so it doesn't bleed into the midrange like that of the IE8.  It's very akin to listening to a car audio system with the sub cranked up a little.  The low frequency response is much like the TF10 but more extended and it doesn't have the TF10 treble emphasis.

May 15, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #9 of 28
@mvw2, thanks , yes the westone 3 might have more bass than the golds , i have not done a direct comparison ,infact i have not used the westones in months ,maybe i should do one .
happy_face1.gif

May 15, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #10 of 28
Oh no, i am very interested in the MTPG being bass orientated but after you mention that the W3 could have more bass than the MTPG, i am quite taken back :frowning2: I personally tested the W3 at my local store and was determined that the W3 are very mid orientated phones but only have a mediocre soundstage( Am i right on this?). But bass? yeah i agree they are heavier on the bass than the other top tier IEMs but they are not punchy and deep enough compared to the denon c751, Atrios , IE8 so i wun call them a bass heavy phones.Actually i a little disappointed because there are alot of claims that the W3 emphasis on the bass pretty well.

May 16, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #11 of 28
I own the Westone 3 and MTPG, along with the Sennheiser IE7s, and previously owned the IE8s but sold them off. The Westone 3s are better for overall clarity and instrument separation, and you hear every detail in the music. It has extended highs and a tight bass, without losing any detail in the mids or highs.

The Sennheiser IE7s are a neutral sounding IEM, with a wider soundstage but less clarity and detail, missing the sparkling highs that the Westone 3s provide. The bass is a bit more subwooferish as opposed to the tight bass of the W3s, but not overwhelming like I found with the IE8s.

The Monster Turbine Pro Golds, in comparison, has a blended sound signature, where there is not as much highs and bass, but very present mids. The vocals sound a bit colored, but enjoyable and fun to listen to.

These three are my favorite IEMs. If I had to rank them, I would go with the Westone 3s, IE7s, and then the Monster Turbine Pro Gold. I feel that the clarity and detail of the W3s is unmatched due to its triple ba armature. However, the dynamic drivers of the IE7 and MTPG are very pleasing and enjoyable when I want a wider soundstage and more enjoyable sound.

May 16, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #12 of 28
I'm getting surprised here, so the Golds aren't bass heavy? I considered the Turbine Vanilla as bass heavy, the Golds and Coppers aren't? And stuff like the TF10 and IE8 have more bass?

May 16, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #13 of 28
The Coppers are fairly bass heavy, the Golds I would imagine moreso. The IE8 will have more midbass for sure, not sure about lower bass.

May 16, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #14 of 28
I consider the Golds pretty bass heavy. They definitely have more than the MD's and Coppers to my ears when I was able to test out all three.

May 16, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #15 of 28
Well I think I've learend everything I can from HeadFi at this point regarding the Golds. I will simply take the plunge and see how they sound for myself. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back