Is LUXMAN - P-1u still in the top tier?
Aug 8, 2011 at 10:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Caesar2010

Head-Fier
Just 12-18 months ago, this high end amp was on top and had a lot of buzz.  A little time passes, and no one mentions any more. Instead, people are talking about the new, hot amps.

Is this amp still in the top tier?  Has it been surpassed?  If so, how?

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #2 of 26
Wow!!!  8 days later.  No replies.  Only 74 views of the thread.  If I had "Woo" in the title, there would be several thousand hits.

I think people here should really broaden their horizons a bit and hear the Luxman gear. It is quite good!

It also shows that Luxman gets no respect from headfiers and should do a better job marketing! 

Aug 17, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #4 of 26
Their are a few people who have the P-1u. I would love to try it with AT 3000 headphones, a beautiful combination. You have to understand, Luxman kinda lacks in the "on top of things" apartment, and that amp is a few years old. How are you determining "top tier", their are a number of variables.

Aug 17, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #5 of 26
cifani09: You're guessing. Nothing to do with how old a design is in the slightest.

In Japan, especially second-hand, it's a great value amp. However it is about $3k in the USA which puts it in a price bracket above many TOTL amps, making it a hard ask. It is also quite coloured. Especially with orthos all the rage now, which it doesn't seem to be suited to, interest in it seems to have been lost.

Aug 17, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #6 of 26
Just because an amp is a few years old or an "older design" doesn't mean that it still isn't top tier.  I can't speak for the Luxman P-1u per se, but solid state amps that have been highly regarded in the past such as the Beta 22, Headamp (GS-1, GS-X) and others would still in my opinion be considered top tier today.   These amps were very well-designed with longevity in mind and will undoubtedly continue to be an excellent value for many years to come.  This would hold true even for models that are eventually discontinued.    

Aug 22, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #8 of 26

Quote:
Just like Stax, you lucky bastards. Out of interest, how much does a second-hand luxman piece run over there?

Very roughly $1200.

Aug 24, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #10 of 26
i heard the p1+sa5000 combo for couple hours,is really good .
btw.the chinese just took over luxman,not sure they can  keep the build quality or not ?

Aug 25, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #12 of 26

Quote:
i heard the p1+sa5000 combo for couple hours,is really good .
btw.the chinese just took over luxman,not sure they can  keep the build quality or not ?

Link?

Aug 26, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #13 of 26
http://www.internationalaudiogroup.com/luxman.php the same guys took over audiolabs too

Nov 16, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #14 of 26
IAG may manufacture in China but their operations and designs, ttbomk, are based in the west.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back