Is Koss Porta pro endgame? What are similar headphones or above?
Apr 6, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #61 of 134
The Parts Express headphones came in and I just did the band swap with my KSC-75s. They are light, comfortable, and sound at least as good as they do with the clips, I'm thinking they are better sounding but that could just be new toy syndrome. The comfort was definitely what I was looking for. I know that technically these would be the same as a Sportapro, but I've got to think that the headband would be a lot heavier and bulkier and run you into similar band problems as the PortaPro. So I think this current solution is where it's at. Best <$20 headphone you can buy!

Now I just need to find my KSC-35s and try the same thing.

Apr 6, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #62 of 134
The Parts Express headphones came in and I just did the band swap with my KSC-75s. They are light, comfortable, and sound at least as good as they do with the clips, I'm thinking they are better sounding but that could just be new toy syndrome. The comfort was definitely what I was looking for. I know that technically these would be the same as a Sportapro, but I've got to think that the headband would be a lot heavier and bulkier and run you into similar band problems as the PortaPro. So I think this current solution is where it's at. Best <$20 headphone you can buy!

Now I just need to find my KSC-35s and try the same thing.

Glad to hear all went well! I am amazed at what I hear every time I listen to them and agree that it's just great at less than $20.

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #63 of 134
Sounding like a headphone for 20$ says nothing. Porta pro costs 50, so saying it sound great for a 50$ headphone is nothing.
Does it sound good outside of its price category

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #64 of 134
Sounding like a headphone for 20$ says nothing. Porta pro costs 50, so saying it sound great for a 50$ headphone is nothing.
Does it sound good outside of its price category

They do sound better than what their price would suggest, but it's difficult, at least for me, to sit there and put a price value on their sound. I can certainly say that I don't think I heard an on ear headphone sound better at a similar price.

I do think one can easily find an IEM for $50 that would compete with them and even maybe best them.

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #65 of 134
Yeah it's impossible to say it like that and probably shouldnt be compared. It is way too subjective.
I think it sounds better than Brainwavz HM5 which is 100$. But at the same time hm5 was a bit clearer but lacked bass. So all in all it depends on each individual.
For one, it can be better and more comfortable than 1000$ headphone and for other it will be laughable of course.

I personally love it right now but I just like the warm/bassy sound signature. Let's say fun signature that is great for movies/games and music which I listen to. Not every headphone have to be good for studio work and that one is certainly not for that.

As it stands now, I am in the stage when I no longer like over-ear headphones because they are too hot and sweat toomuch. I don't mind IEMs but I am afraid those are going to make me deaf and it's the summer coming so light, on-ear seems like perfect choice.

I did tried Denon MX on ear headphones and Koss SP330 and those are amazing. They combine on-ear headphone with memory foam full pads. I just love that combination but again, they cost a ton, don't necessarily sound better than 75/porta pro. Just different. And the memory foam leather pads are super comfy but I feel better having cheap porta pro foam on my sweaty ears, cause it can be changed for another pair for almost no price :p

I will surely change my mind in some time, as with every headphone I had but so far I think Porta Pro is great and i recommend it to everyone who don't mind NO isolation.

Apr 6, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #66 of 134
The KSC-75s have consistently been my favorite sub $80 headphone for a couple of years now. The new headband just makes it better. Because of personal preferences, others could easily have other favorites for different reasons, or different applications. The KSC-75s aren't perfect, but the fact that these are <$20 is just crazy. Especially since I've heard some truly horrible headphones for a lot more money.

I should have bought more of the Parts Express headphones. I thought 3 would be enough but now I want to make up a few more sets of these and give them to my wife and kids.

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #68 of 134
  Now You make me want to buy  KSC75 and that headband... but they don't sell it in Poland so 75 alone will have to do :p

Parts Express advertises international shipping, so you may want to check that out. Buy a bunch and share shipping costs with some buddies.

Apr 7, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #69 of 134
I found my KSC-35s and installed the new headband. I never seriously A/Bd these between the KSC-75s before but it had always seemed like the KSC-35 was maybe slightly better. Now that both have the new headbands I decided to try some more serious comparisons. The test system for this was using an ipad with Spotify premium, and a few .wav files from itunes. No headphone amp or separate DAC was used with these since this is a budget portable solution, not someones SOTA living room system.

So i'll cut right to it...both have the same flavor of sound, but on some recordings there is a very small improvement in overall clarity with the '35s. But it's very small. If we were rating these on a 100 scale, the '35s might have a .5 to 1% edge over the 75s. In a blind test i'll bet most people would think its the same headphone. You can have production sample variability thats greater than this on some models.

So for anyone considering KSC-35s, save your money. They list at twice the price of the KSC-75s and there is a miniscule improvement.

I have to say that I'm digging listening to these a whole lot. If this was someones first headphone, the temptation to upgrade would likely be very small. Most people could be perfectly happy with these for a very long time.

Apr 7, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #70 of 134
Just bend the headband.

Or use the 'comfort zone' setting. The Koss PortaPro is the least 'clampy' headphone there is. The drivers can actually be adjusted so they hardly touch the ear. Best headphones for hot weather bar none.

I couldn't stand the KSC75 myself the very short time I had them. Very disappointing after all the hype. don't know if it's the Titanium coated drivers that give them a metallic edge but they sounded un related to the PortaPro sterile and silibant. Not the nice tonality of the Pp.

Mind you Jays V Jays better still:-D
My father who is 1/2 deaf has the Koss now

Apr 7, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #71 of 134
Thanks for info.
Thats very interesting as 35 with headband ia just porta pro from what ive heard.
So ksc75 with headband is very close to porta pro.

People who would get one of these and then upgraded to other headphones are probably surprised "hey, why do these 100$ xxx headphones dont blow away my old ksc75/portapro?".

Heh
If I would upgrade, I really like form factor of stuff like sp330, mx400 or bower and wilkins. But at rhe same time those are multiple times as expensive and I would probably be more comfortable with pp. At least in the summer because of heat.
I need to search for alternative pads for pp. Just out of curiosity.

There are already few people who are using only these koss headphones, like Jeff Green or crazy tera player users.

I dont know what to thinl about this topic now. I started it to research new stuff and then turned it into koss church :D it helps that we had experience with quite few other headphones.

@godbluff
Never tried vjays.
I guess px100 are comparable to pp within clamping force and comfort?

Apr 7, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #72 of 134
Thanks for info.
Thats very interesting as 35 with headband ia just porta pro from what ive heard.
So ksc75 with headband is very close to porta pro.

People who would get one of these and then upgraded to other headphones are probably surprised "hey, why do these 100$ xxx headphones dont blow away my old ksc75/portapro?".

Heh
If I would upgrade, I really like form factor of stuff like sp330, mx400 or bower and wilkins. But at rhe same time those are multiple times as expensive and I would probably be more comfortable with pp. At least in the summer because of heat.
I need to search for alternative pads for pp. Just out of curiosity.

There are already few people who are using only these koss headphones, like Jeff Green or crazy tera player users.

I dont know what to thinl about this topic now. I started it to research new stuff and then turned it into koss church :D it helps that we had experience with quite few other headphones.

@godbluff
Never tried vjays.
I guess px100 are comparable to pp within clamping force and comfort?

Don't bother with the px100 or other popular consumer headphones it would be a downgrade. I'd say even the K7XX or HD598 would be a side grade. Portapro is preatty comfortable and high performing headphone.

Just straight up get an Sennheiser HD600 or HD650 as an upgrade.

Apr 7, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #73 of 134
The v Jays are just a more modern take on the lightweight 'walkman' type headphone. This is a class of headphone that's getting sadly forgotten about and ignored by people more impressed by fancy looks and big price tags maybe. They're one of my favourite types of headphone(I have another of the original generation; the B&O Form1 and had the PortaPro for many years)

The Jays are more precise and detailed sounding with a more controlled bass than the Koss. No fatigue though for me. That's not to say they are necessarily more enjoyable than the Koss. The PortaPro has charm in looks and sound. No doubt the Jays are technically better and seriously impressive for their size. Stylish,ultralight and comfortable.

They are an incredible bargain if you live in Europe. £25 or 30 odd €, best value out there. all IMO.

Apr 7, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #74 of 134
Yeah, most people now just go for very expensive, huge over ear headphone, without realization that they might clamp tightly, sound closed and be super sweaty.
Theses walkman type of headphone is almost exclusively considered only as portble and I don't really think thats fair.

I did this little testing few weeks back where I showed a picture of Brainwavz HM5 and Koss PortaPro.
Reactions were exactly as expected:
When showed HM5 - "Wow, those must be comfortable and bass must crush Your head!", "Those must've costed a lot", "They must pack a punch!".
PP - "That's a funny little throwaway headphone?", "They must sound so tinny","Those are like those cheap headphones from the 90s" and so on so on.

Overall people could not belive that it's the other way around! That HM5 didnt had much bass and was not too comfortable and that this little old school headphones had actually any bass or good sound at all. And nobody is considering the fact that their ears would sweat in huge over ear headphones. That's why beats sell great. They look comfy and as if they sounded great while products like pp (and actually most on ears) are starting to get niche and harder to sell.

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #75 of 134
The v-jays look interesting but run $60 to those of us in the States. That makes them less of a bargain if they perform as well as you say they do. There's a lot of competition at that price range and my amazement by the Koss' is heavilly influenced by the fact that they're so cheap here. If they were $60 I would still like them but they would only be considered a decent value but nothing exceptional. I get that the Koss' probably arent so cheap in the UK and Europe, so that may make the V-jays a better deal for you, and the sound signature may be superior too.

One last point about the cheap Koss. PortaPros are essentially KSC-35s with a fancy band. In the US either option will usually run about $40, so there really isn't any cost advantage to try and hack together a Portapro clone with '35 drivers. However, in my opinion the KSC -75 gets you 99% of the way there at half the cost. Also for me the Porta pro band seems a little heavier than the Parts Express band, and what makes the '75 w/ PE band sound so good is that it is so light on the head and the drivers can barely rest against your ears which makes the sound so open and detailed. I wasn't able to get that sme effect with the PortaPros because I could never get the band to do the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back