Is Koss Porta pro endgame? What are similar headphones or above?
Mar 23, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #16 of 134
@amigomatt
I though those are the same drivers !

@Darien
Exactly, those are on my radar for a long time but since the summer is coming and I tend to sweat like a mouse, I better avoid full over ear headphones for now. Want to stay in an on-ear market for the moment. But it's kinda difficult because on-ear are rarely considered as desktop headphones and most models have mic, 3step jack plug and folding features which I dont need at a desktop and e10k setting. That's why I got the standard portapro and not KTC.
Back to pro80 and it's clones. It's a super successfull headphone and I will surely check it out, if not buy in the future. I will be moving this summer and depending on the layotut of the flat, my gf will either care or not give a **** about me having open vs closed headphones :D

Mar 23, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #17 of 134
ah right on
  @amigomatt

@Darien
Exactly, those are on my radar for a long time but since the summer is coming and I tend to sweat like a mouse, I better avoid full over ear headphones for now. Want to stay in an on-ear market for the moment. But it's kinda difficult because on-ear are rarely considered as desktop headphones and most models have mic, 3step jack plug and folding features which I dont need at a desktop and e10k setting. That's why I got the standard portapro and not KTC.
Back to pro80 and it's clones. It's a super successfull headphone and I will surely check it out, if not buy in the future. I will be moving this summer and depending on the layotut of the flat, my gf will either care or not give a **** about me having open vs closed headphones :D

ahh right on, another thing you may want to consider on the pro80/clones is that it is on the smaller side of over ear, lotta people who have huge heads can't get their ears in and it becomes on ear for them lol

Mar 23, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #18 of 134
  @amigomatt

@Darien

No, the KSC75 are titanium drivers (brighter/less bass/more neutral) and the Portapro share the same driver as the Sportpro and the venerable KSC35.

EDIT - titanium-coated!

Mar 24, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #19 of 134
Is see. So more detailed but less warm/bassy.
Doesnt sound like something for me then.
I mean, details is always good but over the years Ive found that I need proper deep bass to enjoy my life :p

Mar 24, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #20 of 134
Is see. So more detailed but less warm/bassy.
Doesnt sound like something for me then.
I mean, details is always good but over the years Ive found that I need proper deep bass to enjoy my life
tongue.gif

Fair enough!  I just happened to find the Portapros a little too bloated in the bass for my tastes, yet I found the KSC75 not bassy enough, so swapping clips/headbands did the trick very nicely.  It's completely reversible, of course.  If you need da bass, then stick to stock, I'd say!  Happy listening!

Mar 24, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #21 of 134
Both the ksc75 and portapros suck at the bass it's too distorting. The portapros are amazing in the mids and highs though, the headphones are so clean at the mids and highs, like HD600 level clean. They start distorting below 200hz though, if you have a subwoofer and a PC you just cross over the headphones at 200hz and run the 200hz below subwoofer only and get amazing results. Good results with my sennheisers too.

Mar 25, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #24 of 134
I use my super old Samsung U5 mp3 player. I just love it thanks to ease of use, oled monochromatic display and option to listen to music in slow motion.... yep

Mar 25, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #25 of 134
I just went back and forth between my KSC75 and my HD518 and the KSC75 sounds better for certain things. Seems like everything after KSC75 is at diminishing returns, but it may be worthwhile to chase those diminishing returns, if you care about audio enough. KSC75 should be called a reference headphone and everyone at head-fi should own one
wink_face.gif

Mar 26, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #27 of 134

I figured KSC75 on a headband was end game for me...the headband helped in the bass department compared to the ear clips, though still not as much bass as the PortaPro. VE Monk is getting regular use now as I wanted something more portable with a bit more bass sound...they don't have the detail/soundstage of the KSC75 though. I spent a total of $20 for the KSC75s and headband and $5 for the Monk so I can't complain from the cost perspective :p

Mar 26, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #28 of 134

I figured KSC75 on a headband was end game for me...the headband helped in the bass department compared to the ear clips, though still not as much bass as the PortaPro. VE Monk is getting regular use now as I wanted something more portable with a bit more bass sound...they don't have the detail/soundstage of the KSC75 though. I spent a total of $20 for the KSC75s and headband and $5 for the Monk so I can't complain from the cost perspective :p

Nice I'll get a second pair to mod with it seems fun. I have an idea of maybe removing the plastic back behind the drivers and make it fully open. I don't really care about the loss of bass since I didn't care about the KSC75's bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back