Is Koss Porta pro endgame? What are similar headphones or above?
Mar 30, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #46 of 134

The bass is muddy but everything else is very good.

Yeah... Can't complain much. Except for the soundstage. I remember being unimpressed. Problem is that these days many headphones offer what koss has to offer. Jvc ha-s400 is a bassy headphone with nice sound but also has isolation. Exibel mhx10 and clones sound very much like koss+isolation+detachable cable+build quality you usually find in headphones that cost $150. Takstar hi2050 cost about the same as porta pro. So does superlux hd681...and many hm3 clones.

Porta Pro's deserve the classic status. Impressive headphones considering how old those are but imo those have become obsolite in the past five years or so.

Apr 1, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #47 of 134
  Let us know what You think about them!

Koss Porta Pro Review....

Incredible sound and comfort from such a small set of headphones.

Here is a list of music used to test these great cans.
Samuel Barber - Adagio for Strings
Krzysztof Penderecki – Credo
Duruflé requiem "Quia Apud"
Various Aaron Copland pieces

The highs are very fluid with complete clarity and good instrumental separation.  They are smooth in that range.  The highs were warm, detailed but not that fatiguing effect that you get for long periods with other cans. 

The mid-range was wonderful, it produced an effect of walking around the soundstage and hearing the instruments position, what I mean is visually hearing the stage as if standing there.

The lows are very engaging as I felt like the Pipe Organ was next to me.  I did not find distortion or a dramatic roll off of the lows.  The Duruflé piece was interesting, the Pipe Organ amazing, the lows I thought I could feel my teeth vibrating. Yes, really.

I was comparing these to the Sennheiser PX-200-II.  So back and forth and I was turning up the volume and hearing parts to the Adagio piece I never heard before on the Porta Pros.  I settled on the Porta Pros but it can be a difficult call that is subjective.  I found the mid-range and bass muddy on the Sennheiser. 

The comfort factor is huge as I forget I am wearing them.  No pulled hair.  When I push the two black pieces up to set the position all I would need to do is draw a line with a Sharpie to mark my place.  Comfort zone set to light.  Pure heaven no tired ears or pinched head.  No issues removing and putting on glasses while wearing these headphones.  I can see myself getting up from my desk and dragging my iPod on the floor behind me forgetting that I am wearing the Porta Pros because they are so comfortable.

I did order them off Amazon and I ordered the case Amazon recommended that is round and zippered.  I recall it was only $9.  Very nice case and Amazon sells a case that is rectangle for the Sennheiser PX-200-II and I got that one as well.  I just am not a fan of the bags.

I certainly can enjoy these headphones at work, whether listening to music or used for training DVD’s.  The price is amazing and worth the purchase with hours of payback and enjoyment. 

Bill

Apr 1, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #49 of 134
I mostly listen at work and home and podcasts in the car via car audio which is pretty good.  I am sort of fumbling around trying to find my way as my method of listening to music in the past was components and speakers.  I sold most of it.  Very few use turntables, reel to reel, or 80 pound floor speakers.

Current Set-Up

MacBook Pro and Thunderbolt Display.
Audio Engine D1
Shure 535se
Grado SR80e
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
Sennheiser PX-200-II
Koss Porta Pro
Several old versions of Bose Headphones (In-ear, On-ear, Over-ear) and Bose computer speakers

A few iPod Classics, iTouch, and iPads.  

Five to Six large boxes of CD's that I keep in storage of my music that was ripped into iTunes. 

I also use headphones in bed before I go to sleep at night.  I love music, new to audiophile headphones, no expert but I will not give up my music.  

Bill

Apr 1, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #50 of 134

I figured KSC75 on a headband was end game for me...the headband helped in the bass department compared to the ear clips, though still not as much bass as the PortaPro. VE Monk is getting regular use now as I wanted something more portable with a bit more bass sound...they don't have the detail/soundstage of the KSC75 though. I spent a total of $20 for the KSC75s and headband and $5 for the Monk so I can't complain from the cost perspective :p

Can you tell us what headband that is, and where to buy it? I love my KSC-75s but dont like the clips. A nice retro band like that would be fun to try.  Thanks.

Apr 1, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #51 of 134
Can you tell us what headband that is, and where to buy it? I love my KSC-75s but dont like the clips. A nice retro band like that would be fun to try.  Thanks.

Sure thing :)

The headband I used was by parts express. I purchased from Amazon but it seems it's unavailable now??

http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-Stereo-Lightweight-Headphones/dp/B0002KQZJS

Can probably order directly from here:

http://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-mini-stereo-lightweight-headphones-with-4-ft-cord--240-015

It's literally like the KSC75 drivers are made to clip onto that headband. It's a perfect fit.

Apr 2, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #52 of 134

Sure thing :)

The headband I used was by parts express. I purchased from Amazon but it seems it's unavailable now??

http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-Stereo-Lightweight-Headphones/dp/B0002KQZJS

Can probably order directly from here:

http://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-mini-stereo-lightweight-headphones-with-4-ft-cord--240-015

It's literally like the KSC75 drivers are made to clip onto that headband. It's a perfect fit.

Thanks, I've been hearing about that headband but could never locate it when I searched Parts Express...I've got 3 on order now to make sure I have spares. I have a pair of KSC-35s also and the comfort for those is even worse than the 75s.

Apr 2, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #53 of 134
The headband is of course not the highest quality- initially it was very loose and would not stay to the size it was adjusted to due to the left side adjustment sliding further open. I simply wrapped electrical tape around both sides to keep it in place and help it to be more rigid and solid feeling. Hopefully of the 3 headbands you order you will get lucky with a unit that is perfect. I would like to see pics of your KSC35 on the headband

Apr 3, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #54 of 134
The headband is of course not the highest quality- initially it was very loose and would not stay to the size it was adjusted to due to the left side adjustment sliding further open. I simply wrapped electrical tape around both sides to keep it in place and help it to be more rigid and solid feeling. Hopefully of the 3 headbands you order you will get lucky with a unit that is perfect. I would like to see pics of your KSC35 on the headband

Hopefully I wont break anything taking the 75/35s off of the clips. I'm not expecting miracles with this headband I just wanted to lose the clips, but don't want them to clamp as hard as porta pros.

Apr 3, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #55 of 134
I dont think that this setup would in any way be better than using porta pro headband.

But if You have ksc75, then it makes most sense to either get that cheapo headband or even buy broken porta pro (or just buy porta pro i guess ! :D )

Apr 4, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #57 of 134
Except that "basically" the Portapro headband clamps too much, and kills the high end response. I'm hoping a lighter more flexible band might be a nice compromise between the clip and Portapro band.

Apr 4, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #59 of 134
I took it outside today and ii ofc sounds great and is comfortable as ever but I've noticed an issue.
The cable "clicks" in the place where it comes out of the drivers.

I mean it sits in there but upon any movement of the cable, it sounds like it's hitting the plastic hole or more like it's so tight in there, that every move squeeks it left and right.
It impossible to explain.Just move the cable a bit near the driver and hear for Yourself. This kinda proved to be a bit annoying when walking. Again - like if the cable was rubbery and fraction sticked to the plastic cups.

Apr 4, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #60 of 134
Except that "basically" the Portapro headband clamps too much, and kills the high end response. I'm hoping a lighter more flexible band might be a nice compromise between the clip and Portapro band.

I feel the parts express headband does have less clamping pressure than the PortaPro. It also helps to center the drivers over your ear canal vs the clips- I felt like the clips kind of caused the drivers to hang off my ear in a weird way. The headband definitely helped bring a bit of low end due to this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back