Is it worth getting really high-end headphones if your source is 320kbps audio files?
Mar 24, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #182 of 323
Personal experience, research, looking up studies, the kind of places people look when they want to be informed on a subject. 

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #183 of 323
Some guy dude should wiki pulling his head out of his ass too, but I doubt it will help.

It's quite painful, I believe, but there aren't many who've ever actually done it. They tell me the view improves considerably too.
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #184 of 323
All I'm going to say is that I can hear the difference between 320kpbs MP3s and 44.1kHz FLAC/lossless files.

The lossless versions of music files just seem to sound more clear, the bass is more defined, and the highs are crispier.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #185 of 323
Haha, okay dude. And you can tell it in the car or on cheap earbuds. Sorta like how I can tell 1080p from 720p on a 15" screen that I'm looking at through a screen door. 

Like I said, ABX test it. I gave you the link. You don't even need to come back and admit you failed the test. Just know for your own benefit. 

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #187 of 323
Some days it's like I don't even know who I am any more. :frowning2:

On the topic, though, has anyone mucked around with the Opus codec? I've heard it retains transparency to SILLY bitrates, like 128. 

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #189 of 323
The only problem with that is that it's all graphs and spectrum analyzers. We know what it does MATHEMATICALLY. That's not a question. What IS under debate is whether or not those alterations fall within the spectrum of human hearing. The conclusions of that report are all based on looking at charts, not from doing comparison tests like other links in this thread (which all determined that no one can tell). 

HF itself has had threads sharing ABX test links and the conclusion never changed: everyone fails the test. 

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #190 of 323
Some guy dude, I'm not impressed with your equipment or opinion. Your Guitar Center headphones are not really high end headphones.
I bet I could find proof on the internet that having sex with sheep is better than women but I'm not going to do it. I don't have to.
I have the original cd or record for most of my music and only use 320 in my car and when biking out of convenience. Yes 320 is good for mediocre systems, like vmoda earbuds. But I have a lot better than those and enjoy what I have very much for good reason.
I really feel sorry for the download generation because I grew up with vinyl.
I also know what a car stereo is capable of and it's more than anything you've ever heard.

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #191 of 323
  The only problem with that is that it's all graphs and spectrum analyzers. We know what it does MATHEMATICALLY. That's not a question. What IS under debate is whether or not those alterations fall within the spectrum of human hearing. The conclusions of that report are all based on looking at charts, not from doing comparison tests like other links in this thread (which all determined that no one can tell). 

HF itself has had threads sharing ABX test links and the conclusion never changed: everyone fails the test. 

You lost your credibility when you claimed that the human eye capped out at 60 FPS.

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #193 of 323
Do your own test with songs from cd. Burn them into whatever you want. Don't trust internet tests.

Of course. When you don't like the outcome of studies and tests, just blame "the internet". 

Also, to sekka, ignoring all of the evidence and explanations I've put forth on this subject because you disagree with something I said on another topic is... well that basically means you know you're incorrect but feel more comfortable discarding what I've said for whatever reason. That's fine.

I'm actually kinda tired of debating this. You guys can yammer and yap on and on. It's starting to give me headaches; I can only pull up the studies and articles so many times before I come to the conclusion that some people just refuse to believe what's staring them in the face. So... with that, I bow out. Feel free to have the last word, I'm done here. 

Mar 25, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #194 of 323
I have a genuine question for James Huntington.

Given your confidence - if we could somehow arrange for an independent test using a variety of music that you know well - would you be prepared to undergo an independently arranged ABX.  I'd make sure it's on a very resolving system, and all it would cost you is time.  You could use your own headphones if you wanted.

The aim would be to take lossless files, transcode to MP3 320 and also aac256, level match, and then blind abx.  Results would be published.

The advantage is that under independent testing - you get to prove your side of the debate, and would effectively end the bickering.

Are you game?

Mar 25, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #195 of 323
I did my own test with aac. Why would i compare mp3 with aac or lossless when im happy with lossless. Maybe that would make you happy, but not as happy as shutting up some guy dude would make me. I'm not here to argue. I gave my experience and was
done until some guy dude said my experience was "nonsense." I've read a lot on this subject and found what works best for me and my equipment and pricerange, with ease of use in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back