Is it worth getting really high-end headphones if your source is 320kbps audio files?
Oct 6, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #316 of 323
  use high volume and listen at the peaks in the vocal, then quickly switch between abc (1-2sec max) 

Why high volume? Most people should only test at their actual listening levels. The high volume I suspect you feel will more readily show artifacts, and while that may be true, there are other confounding factors that would suggest high volume is not the proper test volume. I would think even a loud music listener is better served testing at a moderate volume level; loud enough to be engaging, but perhaps only 80% of their normal listening level. For somebody who listens more quietly than I think regular volume is fine.

Oct 6, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #317 of 323

Why high volume? Most people should only test at their actual listening levels. The high volume I suspect you feel will more readily show artifacts, and while that may be true, there are other confounding factors that would suggest high volume is not the proper test volume. I would think even a loud music listener is better served testing at a moderate volume level; loud enough to be engaging, but perhaps only 80% of their normal listening level. For somebody who listens more quietly than I think regular volume is fine.

I think the issue is that many headphones won't be able to achieve their best possible performance without a significant amount of volume going in. This was certainly the case with my HE-400s -- less so with nicer headphones like the LCD-3, but very apparent otherwise.

A lot of sonic qualities -- especially detail, in my opinion -- don't come out at lower volumes, and are often exaggerated when the volume is higher, just as you suggested. I'm wondering what you think the confounding factors might be? Certainly if the volume is high enough for clipping, that's too loud. But otherwise...

Oct 6, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #318 of 323

A lot of sonic qualities -- especially detail, in my opinion -- don't come out at lower volumes, and are often exaggerated when the volume is higher, just as you suggested. I'm wondering what you think the confounding factors might be? Certainly if the volume is high enough for clipping, that's too loud. But otherwise...

I think I erred in saying there were multiple confounds, although there may be, but the only one that I know of would be that at higher volume levels it is harder to concentrate. At a moderate volume it is less distracting and any relative difference in detail should be apparent at moderate levels. And as I suggested, very few people in my experience seem to listen loud so a moderate volume level is likely more realistic.

Oct 6, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #319 of 323

I think the issue is that many headphones won't be able to achieve their best possible performance without a significant amount of volume going in. This was certainly the case with my HE-400s -- less so with nicer headphones like the LCD-3, but very apparent otherwise.

Some recordings especially the non remasters Do require a cranked up volume bordering onto clipping, say way past the 75 mark (0-100)...

Oct 7, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #320 of 323

What is hifi? Accurate sound reproduction at natural SPL. 

If you listen at 60dB volume all the time, it really doesn't matter do you have a pair of Koss Portapros or Stax

Oct 7, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #321 of 323
  I think I erred in saying there were multiple confounds, although there may be, but the only one that I know of would be that at higher volume levels it is harder to concentrate. At a moderate volume it is less distracting and any relative difference in detail should be apparent at moderate levels. And as I suggested, very few people in my experience seem to listen loud so a moderate volume level is likely more realistic.

...Not to mention a stressed listener, stressed out equipments... volume Moderation is really the key....

Oct 8, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #322 of 323
  What is hifi? Accurate sound reproduction at natural SPL. 

If you listen at 60dB volume all the time, it really doesn't matter do you have a pair of Koss Portapros or Stax

...Not to mention a stressed listener, stressed out equipments... volume Moderation is really the key....

Perhaps we are operating under different definitions of "high volume." I've rarely -- if ever -- turned my headphones up to the point where I felt like I was at a concert. If "high volume" here means "louder than a concert," then I agree that you're just damaging your ears (and possibly your equipment), although I imagine such a volume would be immediately and physically painful.

I'll put my LX16 speakers down at ~60db occasionally when I want some background music (my understanding is that 60db is about the level of an office conversation), and I'll admit that I'm glad my gear sounds good at low volumes. But certainly not nearly as good as they do at high(er) volumes, maybe at 70db or approaching 80db.

Jan 26, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #323 of 323
You bet on it it's worth it.

What matters the most is the hardware, a.k.a. the phones and chain leading to them. I personally haven't been able to notice a difference between properly encoded LAME 320 kbps mp3s and FLACs, for instance. It's pretty much all about the hardware - if you got that covered, you don't really need true lossless audio anyways, since chances are you won't even notice any differences at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back