Is it worth buying an expensive Mini-Mini Cable?
Jul 20, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #61 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Night and Day
confused.gif

How can the difference be night and day when 50% of the people who voted don't believe it is worth it?

I really feel if the differences were night and day, there wouldn't be a debate about after market cables and we could discuss DBT.

I think if you had the same poll about the sound quality differences between cheap headphone and expensive ones, the poll would be highly in favor of it is worth it to buy expensive headphones.

The main thing I learned from Head-Fi is not to listen to others, but listen to your own ears. If something sounds good to ME, I really don't care what others think about it.
If I like how this cable sounds, then it is MY opinion. It is not a fact, it is an opinion. Also, according to the poll, 50% agree with me, but it still doesn't make a difference to me.
I am not trying to convince you to spend thousands of dollars on cables because I also think it is stupid, but I do recommend listening to some before stating your opinion. If you realize that they make a difference, great, if you will still think they don't, more power to you!

PS: I would think you are here long enough already to know that everyone has their own opinion and it is impossible to disprove it.

Jul 20, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #62 of 74
I would think you are here long enough already to know that everyone has their own opinion and it is impossible to disprove it.

All opinions are not created equal.

See ya
Steve

Jul 20, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #63 of 74
Agreed. Like anything in any audio chain they can make a difference if they are used with matching levels of equipment. I've tried a few - and I'll try a few more - but Alex's cables have a clarity that others just do not match.

I tend to evaluate any equipment in terms of 'signal loss' (i.e. how much musical information is missing?). Nothing is perfect, and whether $50 is worth it for the difference in signal purity for you is your own decision. But, for me, it's an area worth exploring and, again IMHO, the better mini-2-minis do make a difference that is worth the dollars.
etysmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didnt believe in expensive cables, until i decided to get [AK]Zip's mini-mini for only like $50. The second I got it, I was sold. The difference between it and a cheapy I used before is night and day.

Jul 20, 2007 at 1:20 PM Post #65 of 74
If you have the money, yes it's worth it becouse it will improve your sound, or rather, it won't make it worse
smily_headphones1.gif

If you don't have the money for an expansive cable it's not that big of a point, IMO all the other components are more important.

Jul 21, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #66 of 74
IMO, even after listening to a few high end speaker systems, I've seen 2 different approaches to this and I've come to the conclusion that no matter what cable you get, it's very debatable on the increase of sound quality. My friend with a set of B&W Nautilus 801 driven by a pair of Mark Levinson No. 333's, (can't remember which preamp), and a Sony multi disk SACD player and I tested where we had different cables from each of the components and had a very hard time comparing which was better but we did find that the better cable sounded less stressed. However, if you're talking about a mini to mini setup, I'd say save your money for something a bit more upscaled before considering an expensive interconnect.

Jul 21, 2007 at 12:13 PM Post #67 of 74
i'm using an Imod with either a supermacro IV LE or a maxxed Portaphile. My two choice cables are ALO six-shooter or the Jenna Cryo mini-mini. Also have really inexpensive cable left over from a few years ago. Just switching among the three while listening to the same piece of music I can hear subtle differences. Now whether those differences are worth about $125 -- the difference between the cheaper cable and the six-shooter--are up to the individual. I think they are.

O fogot to mention--phones are either ety4 or beyer 990s

Jul 21, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #68 of 74
If your gonna have a $1000+ rig like a lot of people here, might as well not let the cable be the weak link. Don't go super expensive and don't go super cheap.

That being said I am making my own cable/s for my ipod. Probably spent a little more than I should have on the wire (jena labs) but if I didn't get it then I would always be wondering what I could be missing (even if it's nothing)

That's just how I am.

actually if you price all of my parts for just one cable I am making, it probably only really adds up to $15-$20, using the same stuff ALO uses for his jumbo cryo docks @18 awg ($155)

Jul 21, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #70 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Night and Day
confused.gif

How can the difference be night and day when 50% of the people who voted don't believe it is worth it?

I really feel if the differences were night and day, there wouldn't be a debate about after market cables and we could discuss DBT.

I think if you had the same poll about the sound quality differences between cheap headphone and expensive ones, the poll would be highly in favor of it is worth it to buy expensive headphones.

I'm confident that many in this thread, like me, who voted "No. Don't bother," agreed with only that much of the option. I would have preferred the option read, "No. Don't bother. You can make a cable that is just as good by yourself." But I wasn't going to let that keep my from voting.

Jul 23, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #71 of 74
If you just want to listen to "some good" music, don't bother. But if you aim for "hi-fi" level, must do. Even so called great 150$ cables couldn't nordost vahalla with mini adaptor for good quality portable amp. It depends on what level of your music is right now.

Aug 8, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #72 of 74
WindowsX;3136616 said:
If you aim for "hi-fi" level, must do.QUOTE]

Agreed. Just like with RCAs or balanced cables on home rigs, when you find what best delivers the signal to your amp you'll be well impressed with the results (portably to boot!).

Aug 10, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #73 of 74
Get the best rig/headphones first then focus on buying the best mini you can afford. When I had my ipod/Sr71/ Ue IEM portable set up I had a cheap interconnect. I then went to Cable Pro and got their Ear Candy mini and noticed a BIG improvement. I then came to Headfi, yipes has that been expensive, ha. I soon upgraded to Ted's (Cable Pro) Panorama mini. When I first plugged it in I could not believe the HUGE difference between it and the Ear Candy. I actually thought in A/Bing that the Ear Candy was broken, the Panorama sounded that good. Ever since I have learned the importance of cables when added to quality gear and wished that I had saved a bit more for the better cable. By the best you can afford, take great care of what you have, enjoy having no regrets.

Aug 11, 2007 at 8:15 AM Post #74 of 74
I tried to save money and bought a standard iPod to mini cable. I was never happy so went for an ALO Cryo. It made a world of difference. If you do any kind of serious listening, get the best cable you can afford. You won't be sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back