Is it worth buying an expensive Mini-Mini Cable?
Jul 11, 2007 at 8:38 AM Post #16 of 74
well i suppose that settles it, i'll just save my money for better amps/DAC/headphones/mp3 player.

(thinking of a DAC for my laptop, MOVE comes to mind...)

So i'll just stop by and get an unbranded generic mini-mini cable.

cheers people!

etysmile.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 8:49 AM Post #17 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shouldn't the foundation be the source? Little things like flowers in a vase, paintings on the wall, golden shower heads, etc, those would be the cables.

I've never heard a difference in Mini-Mini cables so I voted "no".
smily_headphones1.gif

Not even the source. If you're going to use that analogy, foundation has to be the headphones.
plainface.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 9:12 AM Post #18 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not even the source. If you're going to use that analogy, foundation has to be the headphones.
plainface.gif

How does that work? The foundation doesn't define how the house looks. The foundation's job is to provide a solid neutral ground to build on, exactly what a source would do. The inner structure of the house would be the amplifier (making sure the house/sound is strong), and the outer shape and color would be the headphones (how it looks/sounds).

Either way, it's not a very good analogy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 9:16 AM Post #19 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does that work? The foundation doesn't define how the house looks. The foundation's job is to provide a solid neutral ground to build on, exactly what a source would do. The inner structure of the house would be the amplifier (making sure the house/sound is strong), and the outer shape and color would be the headphones (how it looks/sounds).

Either way, it's not a very good analogy.
smily_headphones1.gif

So where does the cables relate to, in the house analogy?

THe "Wiring" of the House?
tongue.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 9:35 AM Post #20 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Onizuka-gto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So where does the cables relate to, in the house analogy?

THe "Wiring" of the House?
tongue.gif

Cables would be golden doorknobs, a doormat that says "home sweet home", and all that jazz. Might make it that tiny extra bit more special, but far from what's needed to live nicely and comfortably. You won't miss it if you don't have it.
smily_headphones1.gif

However, this is getting seriously silly now.
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 9:37 AM Post #21 of 74
You've made a wrong thing buying cheap cable because they are supplied with very low grade jacks. For a short distant the cable almost doesn't matter, but jacks do. You should have asked somebody to use gold-plated straight or L-shaped Neutriks and a quality cable to build an interconnect for you. Belden 1800F or 9451 do a very good job for a small fraction of the price you pay for quality stock mini-mini cables. Just ask somebody to prepare such a cable, and around $10 + shipping you should be both very satisfied IMHO.

Jul 11, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #22 of 74
Good point majkel. A very important thing to consider, especially with portable gear, is the quality and longevity of a component. Even though it might sound fine at first, in my experience cheap cables degrade quickly.

Saying that, I voted no as your source is not great anyway, I doubt you will hear a difference. I guess there is a rule that cables should be maybe 5 - 10 percent the cost of your system. No point in a $100 mini - mini if your using a $40 amp, $40 cans and a phone for source. (I know you aren't, but you get the idea).

Jul 11, 2007 at 10:32 AM Post #23 of 74
PS, I make my own interconnects now from Canare star quad and Nuetrik plugs and can't hear any difference at all from Turbo, ALO or Zu Pivot cables I have. Thats through a Sont DVD player as source, Rudi PRX-33 or Xin SuperMaco IV (mini - mini) and Edition 9s. I have good ears!

Edit, I should point out that I did listen to a particular bit of DSOTM very carefully back to back with the different cables and heard no difference, but that doesn't mean I never will hear a difference, after "burn in", with different tracks, when I'm drunk etc. I was a cable "believer" and still sort of am, but not really sure at the moment.

Jul 11, 2007 at 10:38 AM Post #24 of 74
Get the good cable now!!! Don't hesitate. Or you will be thinking you are missing something until you do.

Jul 11, 2007 at 11:20 AM Post #25 of 74
perhaps
  1. There is likely an audible difference among cables. Many folks here, including me, are positive that they have heard that difference. [insert appropriate disclaimers regarding methodological shortcomings]
  2. It depends on listening conditions and the recording quality.
  3. It depends on your ears.
yes
  1. You will be obsessed by the thought that the SQ might have been better had you purchased an expensive, handmade cable.
  2. You will have a cool looking, boutique cable.
no
  1. Time pressure doesn't permit.
  2. Your source is questionable.
  3. This is a short cable.
  4. value - A discernable difference in A/B testing is not necessarily a psychologically significant one, particularly in more typical listening situations.

My advice:
  1. relax
  2. use an inexpensive cable
  3. focus on the music, not the equipment

Jul 11, 2007 at 12:40 PM Post #26 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff E /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My advice:
  1. relax
  2. use an inexpensive cable
  3. focus on the music, not the equipment

That's the part I like... VERY good advice!
wink.gif

Pierre

Jul 11, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #27 of 74
thanks for the advice!

picked up some cable while on the way to home base, from a computer accessory shop ($2!), sounded ok on my phone.

but i just been giving it a go on my laptop, compared to the standard cable that came with my amp.

dear god. what a difference!

muddle and like it was foggy.

switch to the default heavy mini-mini amp cable, and it was much cleaner.

guess the stiff cable will be the one i'll use on my pc. the cheap one on my phone.

well until i get my bloody battery for my ipod, so i don't have to use my phone.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #28 of 74
Your phone is probably not the best source to compare cables to- but that doesn't mean you should have some junky one. The cardas cable is under 20USD, has right angle jacks which is perfect for the minibox's side entry, and will be there with you if you decide to upgrade amp source phones..

Jul 11, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #29 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Burn Pt.2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your phone is probably not the best source to compare cables to- but that doesn't mean you should have some junky one. The cardas cable is under 20USD, has right angle jacks which is perfect for the minibox's side entry, and will be there with you if you decide to upgrade amp source phones..

cheers for the link!

guess thats $17 + $10+ for shipping to HK or where ever i'm moving next.

well i can put up with it for now.

if im really desperate i suppose i can take a gamble and attempt to wonder around HK electronic district where i got my Shures, but i fear the humidity would leave me for dead in a puddle of my own liquid in less then an hour....
blink.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #30 of 74
I voted yes but in truth the answer is perhaps. First, the cables made by Turbo are VERY GOOD and an excelletn value. IMO you would have to spend twice as much or more just to get a little improvement.

Second, just beacause a cable is more expensive does not mean it is better. Too many variables the most important being that of the individual listener's ears. I have had the pleasure (at a high cost) to listen to a bunch of IC's. My three top ones are:

1. Fitz and Turbo ICs in the great bang for the buck. If memory serves me right both were silver plated copper. About $30 w/ S&H.
2. Price no object the Revelation Audio 99.999% silver cryo. About $89 including S&H. Yes I have compared them with cables sellin for $150 or more.

Third point I would like to make is that IMO there should be balance amongst your equipment. Buying a $200 IC to place between a $100 (or less) amp and a Nano to drive a $75 (or less) headphone makes no sense. The reverse is holds also true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back