Is it very Important
Nov 5, 2009 at 4:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

kunalraiker

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

I have been sent a 3.5mm-3.5mm from the seller of my CMOY, it is a basic 1ftcable I feel, he reckons it won't make any difference getting an expensive one. What do you guys feel.Also since my iaudio 7 does not have a line out what volume should I be running at 0-40 max.
I have turned off all the audio enhancements and noticed that the music sounds better then earlier.

Nov 5, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #2 of 25
The cable will not make a difference considering you're using a cmoy. You would need some high-end gear before you think about high-end cables.

Nov 5, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what exactly is high end gear for portable use, considering I'am awaiting my Grado 325is

High end audio gear is gear that most faithfully reproduces the music. The CMOY would not be considered hi-fi.

Nov 5, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #6 of 25
Below are the specs of my CMOY

JRC4556 dual OpAmp - Chosen by GRADO for their RA1 reference amplifier
Super high current opamp
Sealed hi quality 3.5mm headphone sockets
Combined on/off switch and Volume Control
Film capacitors in the signal path for lowest possible noise
1% hand matched metal film resisters to give a clean and perfectly balanced sound
High efficiency circuit uses 2 x 9 volt battery (not included)
Huge balanced power capacitors for awesome rich bass
18 Volt power system ultra stable - ultra power
Gold plated DIP socket for OpAmp "Rolling"
Included 3.5mm - 3.5mm interconnect cable

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

why not, everyone compares it to Grados RA-1

It doesn't have vacuum tubes.
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #8 of 25
"High end" and "portable use" cannot be used in the same sentence together.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

that is so correct, so what is the best portable amp

Many of us don't use portable amps at all. They don't do justice to the best headphones - sort of like drinking the world's best beer at room temperature. No matter how good the beer, it's awful unless it's cold.

Personally, I use IEMs and efficient headphones directly from my iPod. Very efficient headphones and IEMs don't need an external amp, so that's one less thing to carry and one less thing to buy.

I run big, open headphones at home off powerful tube amps and spin vinyl and SACD. I love that stuff. But there's absolutely no way to get that sort of sound in a portable package, so I don't even bother. All I'd do would be spend a couple thousand on stuff that doesn't even touch my rig. It'd be a complete waste.

Nov 5, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many of us don't use portable amps at all. They don't do justice to the best headphones - sort of like drinking the world's best beer at room temperature. No matter how good the beer, it's awful unless it's cold.

None of the worlds best beers are best served cold. Lightly chilled perhaps for some of them.

As for the "why isn't a CMOY high end its like an RA-1?" thats a comparison which shows up how simple, underpowered and overpriced the RA-1 is, not how awesome the CMOY is.

Nov 6, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Duggeh we have the same music taste, I bought the latest Mike Oldfield CD, its so cool mate.
Any suggetions on my portable rig.

My current portable rig is an ipod touch into some cheap sony earbuds. ER-4 are inbound. I'll see how I get on with them. Best portable sound I've owned was the Stax SR-001 (which I've had 3 times). Each time selling because I couldn't live with the bulk of an amp the same size as my ipod 3g / ipod photo.

Best portable sound I've heard was the JH-13 universals with either just an ipod touch or with the Headamp Pico.

My advice if portable audio is very important to you is to not worry a damn about a portable amp. Get the JH-13s.

After that, if you want a bit more, then go for the Headamp Pico Slim.

Thats what Id do if I were going all-out on portable rig. No question. Better sound than I got from my K1000/Pass Labs or the HD800. But I put my money to my speaker rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back