Is it very Important
Nov 6, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #16 of 25
I'm a little disturbed by the way this thread is going...no, CMoys aren't hi-fi, but that doesn't mean they're bad, and if most amps sound better, it's because the CMoy is so cheaply and readily available that making an amp that sounds worse is nearly economic suicide.

OP, people are kind of pissed at the RA-1 because it basically is a $40 Cmoy that's priced at a ridiculous markup, not that it's bad in an absolute sense. Don't worry about the amp or the interconnect; they'll both serve you perfectly well, and are great values for the price, but just be aware there's plenty of room to upgrade when you're ready.

Oh, and FWIW, I rather like portable amps. I'm getting rather annoyed at myself for breaking my millett and having to send it back to Todd; it makes my SR225s go from exciting but fatiguing to oh-gosh-amazing.

Nov 6, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So please help me with the problem then genius, what you think.

Here's some help. Step 1 - lose the attitude.

Nov 6, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many of us don't use portable amps at all. They don't do justice to the best headphones - sort of like drinking the world's best beer at room temperature. No matter how good the beer, it's awful unless it's cold.

Personally, I use IEMs and efficient headphones directly from my iPod. Very efficient headphones and IEMs don't need an external amp, so that's one less thing to carry and one less thing to buy.

In Ireland Guinness is served around room temperature
beerchug.gif

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So please help me with the problem then genius, what you think.

I deleted two responses to this post. The first was a very rude rebuttal of your cocky smarmy attitude.

The second was a longer, wittier, less likely to be immediately deleted for being offensive version of the first one.

Heres the third one, which I managed to actually put some advice into after my exasperative fit had died away:

Buy very very good IEMs.

Get a nice DAP.

Completely ignore the uber-stupid, thick, turn-green-after-a-month-Jenalabs-wire, damages-the-sockets-on-your-DAP-and-amp, pointlessly clumsy ALO style portable cables.

Maybe buy a well designed little amp down the road. If you want a bit more headroom, or finer control. I recommend Headamp. And connect it with something simple, flexible and to size.

You're now on my ignore list. So that's all you're getting.

Goodnight.

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many of us don't use portable amps at all. They don't do justice to the best headphones

This comment is extremely loaded if you know what I mean . . .

I tend to have an issue with the anti-portable amplifier mantra that seems to get repeated in these forums. They're perfect as small desktop amps and can drive plenty of headphones just fine. I'm not talking HD800 level loads, but when I see the K701 impedance graph I'm left scratching my head as to why people seem to think they need more power than they could ever use. There's never any real evidence to back the claims up, but instead we're told to believe headphone X, Y, or Z will improve just by changing the amp used. It bothers me to say the least.

Nov 6, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #24 of 25
Actually Duggeh, I think he's referring to euGENIUS' post above yours with that rude comment. If that's what upset you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back