Is it time to boycott cable companies?
Feb 19, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #331 of 411
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reason I don't reply to some of your posts is because you aren't intellectually honest in your arguments. I'm happy to discuss things with people with an interest in the topic, but it's a waste of my time to engage with people who are just out to be argumentative.

See ya
Steve

Of all people to make this complaint! You have got to be the most appalling hypocrite of recent audiophile times!!

Feb 19, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #332 of 411
Debating isn't the same as being argumentative. I'm not the one setting up the straw men and resorting to insults. I'm just talking about audio. No one is requiring you to read or respond.

See ya
Steve

Feb 19, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #333 of 411
For comparison, I just searched ebay for the 5.5g 80 gig iPod I just bought at the Apple Store refurbished for $200 shipped. Several just sold on eBay for $199 shipped. An iPod has moving parts. A cable has nothing to wear out. Yet the iPod holds its value pretty well in comparison.

See ya
Steve

Feb 19, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #334 of 411
My $0.02 on this is that high quality cables will only make a noticeable difference if all your other components are high quality. There's certainly way too much BS in hi-fi these days. I just read the 6moons review of the Red Wine Audio 30.2 ($2.5k) and it blew away about $100k of amps. Same issue everywhere.

Feb 19, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #335 of 411
Quote:

Debating isn't the same as being argumentative. I'm not the one setting up the straw men and resorting to insults. I'm just talking about audio. No one is requiring you to read or respond.

See ya
Steve

Right! But you are tendentiously argumentative and you don't talk about audio so much as your fixed beliefs about cables you never try and sales efforts you condemn a priori.

And, as dishonest as usual by omission, you omit recognition of the issue of intellectual honesty I was mainly addressing of which you are in very short supply. I have pointed out several instances in the past.

But I don't have to respond as you said. It's just that some of your incessant posting is particularly egregious, and the moderators of these forums are too whimpy to deal with you as they should.

Yet it may be that I will once again withdraw along with so many others and Head Fi will be left with what it deserves....surprisingly but apparently.

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #336 of 411
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your car loses 20% of it's value, new computer crap is maybe under 10%, pants...Clothes are actually worth a nice amount if they are resold to developing/poorer countries (clothes in general).

But over 50% in cables?

Computers?
confused.gif
.... nothing loses value faster than a desk top computer. A computer I bought three years ago is obsolete ... as in I can donate it to Goodwill. No one will want to buy a computer with an outdated operating system and much to little memory and hard drive space. Even of the unit is in good shape the new units have more memory, bigger hard drives, DVD burners etc... and cost hundreds less than what I paid for mine.
eek.gif

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #337 of 411
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Computers?
confused.gif
.... nothing loses value faster than a desk top computer. A computer I bought three years ago is obsolete ... as in I can donate it to Goodwill. No one will want to buy a computer with an outdated operating system and much to little memory and hard drive space. Even of the unit is in good shape the new units have more memory, bigger hard drives, DVD burners etc... and cost hundreds less than what I paid for mine.
eek.gif

Which is why he said "new" computer crap. I know this violates my "never post in a cable thread" thing, but this obviously isn't dealing directly with cables.

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #338 of 411
amps - headphones - cd players, they all have awful resale value if purchased new at retail price. cables is no different. and like any other piece of equipment should be purchased used to avoid losses if one decides to sell.

you are just figuring this out now.

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #339 of 411
Quote:

You'd be surprised how loose those laws are. Caveat emptor is the real rule of thumb. If they quote numerical facts, they have to back their claims up. If they just describe an improvement in imprecise ways that are matters of opinion, they can say just about anything.

See ya
Steve

No, they really can't say just about anything under the various laws, rules, and regs that govern advertising (and don't forget about the self-regulating tribunals). Just because a statement does not include numbers does not mean it does not require substantiation. The reason the cable mfrs. get away with it--I suspect--is that they are unwilling to challenge each other and believe in "live and let live" and because the FTC simply has bigger fish to fry.

Feb 19, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #342 of 411
Quote:

For comparison, I just searched ebay for the 5.5g 80 gig iPod I just bought at the Apple Store refurbished for $200 shipped. Several just sold on eBay for $199 shipped. An iPod has moving parts. A cable has nothing to wear out. Yet the iPod holds its value pretty well in comparison.

See ya
Steve

I see. Moving parts makes something valuable... Keep 'em coming, steve!

Keep twiddling those knobs!

Feb 19, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #343 of 411
Quote:

Originally Posted by yotacowboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see.

You don't.

Quote:

Moving parts makes something valuable...

Actually, moving parts makes something damageable, which usually reduces its resale value.

Quote:

Keep 'em coming, steve!

Hang on, cowboy.

Quote:

Keep twiddling those knobs!

Keep listening to those garden hoses.

biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #344 of 411
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vul Kuolun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, moving parts makes something damageable, which usually reduces its resale value.

So you disagree with Steve's assessment of the reason for his iPod holding value? Or is the iPod a special case? They hold their value cause... well, just cause... ???

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #345 of 411
Quote:

So you disagree with Steve's assessment of the reason for his iPod holding value? Or is the iPod a special case? They hold their value cause... well, just cause... ???

I once again have to say something here. Steve was saying that an iPod is able to hold its value even though it has moving parts increasing its likelihood of wearing out and breaking, whereas a cable, containing no moving parts, still loses 50% (I think that was the accepted number) of its value pretty much the moment it is bought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back