Is it time to boycott cable companies?
Feb 20, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #361 of 411
Quote:

Originally Posted by yotacowboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Resale value is not determined solely by the material cost or complexity of a piece of audio equipment.

As I already said, resale value depends on the desirability and usefulness of a product. That's why iPods sell for almost as much used as they do new and cables don't.

See ya
Steve

Feb 20, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #362 of 411
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm... I wonder why they lose so much value on the secondary market?

See ya
Steve

Very similar to the used musical instrument market - everything seems to be worth 'half' once 'used'... guitars, drums, PA, cables... no difference.

Feb 21, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #363 of 411
Acoustic guitars don't seem to lose their value. I bought a Larrivee parlor for the same price used as the original owner paid new, and it was a very good price. Sweet little guitar.

See ya
Steve

Feb 21, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #364 of 411
Quote:

Acoustic guitars don't seem to lose their value. I bought a Larrivee parlor for the same price used as the original owner paid new, and it was a very good price. Sweet little guitar.

See ya
Steve

Handmade classical concert guitars go up in value, like violins.

The 1,300.00 Thomas Humphrey I bought in 1977 is now worth 8,000.00 to 10,000.00.

I have always sold a classical guitar for more than I paid.
Mass produced guitars can decline modestly from retail.

Feb 25, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #366 of 411
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjtx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Handmade classical concert guitars go up in value, like violins.

The 1,300.00 Thomas Humphrey I bought in 1977 is now worth 8,000.00 to 10,000.00.

I have always sold a classical guitar for more than I paid.
Mass produced guitars can decline modestly from retail.

usually, electronics go down in price fast. Cable prices seem to be more stable but in general custom made cars etc. will go up in price over the years since they are rare and hard to find.

Elektronics are for sale in huge quantities and every year they claim to raise the bar soundwise.
wink.gif
and alot of new stuff is comming out for less then the ols stuff might have cost you.

Feb 25, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #367 of 411
The last set of cables I purchased was 4 to 5 years ago, I bought them used on AudiogoN. The same cables for sale today are within a few dollars either way. One set 7.5% lower, one set 7.7% higher

Feb 25, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #368 of 411
No it is not time to boycott cable companies.

But it is time to ignore all cable reviews, opinions, and comparisons that are not based on the results of blind testing. That ought to eliminate about 99% of the crap associated with cables and cable manufacturers once and for all.

It would help eliminate all the varied opinions and impressions people have about DACs (which sound much more alike than the manufacturers and owners who overspent would like you to believe) and amps (which don't have to cost a tremendous amount of money to sound good) also, but let us at least begin with cables.

Feb 26, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #369 of 411
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No it is not time to boycott cable companies.

But it is time to ignore all cable reviews, opinions, and comparisons that are not based on the results of blind testing. That ought to eliminate about 99% of the crap associated with cables and cable manufacturers once and for all.

It would help eliminate all the varied opinions and impressions people have about DACs (which sound much more alike than the manufacturers and owners who overspent would like you to believe) and amps (which don't have to cost a tremendous amount of money to sound good) also, but let us at least begin with cables.

I agree, ignorance is the way to go. I'm going to get up, and ignore my stereo right now.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 26, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #370 of 411
That's a good idea. There's no reason to listen to your stereo because either there is something wrong with your hearing, or your equipment sucks.

See ya
Steve

Feb 26, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #371 of 411
Quote:

Originally Posted by yotacowboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, ignorance is the way to go. I'm going to get up, and ignore my stereo right now.
rolleyes.gif

Huh? Why would you want to ignore your stereo? And what makes you think ignorance is the way to go? It sounds like you are confused about what I was proposing, which was a pretty simple thing: opinions and claims about cables (and, perhaps, other stereo components) that aren't based on blind testing are completely worthless. If you adhered to this basic principle, it wouldn't matter how much cable companies are charging for their products, because you wouldn't be buying them unless it could be objectively determined that they actually sound better than a much less expensive alternative.

Feb 26, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #372 of 411
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh? Why would you want to ignore your stereo? And what makes you think ignorance is the way to go? It sounds like you are confused about what I was proposing, which was a pretty simple thing: opinions and claims about cables (and, perhaps, other stereo components) that aren't based on blind testing are completely worthless. If you adhered to this basic principle, it wouldn't matter how much cable companies are charging for their products, because you wouldn't be buying them unless it could be objectively determined that they actually sound better than a much less expensive alternative.

Your post suggests that we should ignore everything (especially opinions) that hasn't been blind tested, correct?

Well, none of the components in my rig have been blind tested (to my knowledge). So in keeping with rigorous ignorance, I attempted to ignore my own unverified opinion that "I enjoy how music sounds while playing thru my stereo".

Feb 26, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #373 of 411
Quote:

That's a good idea. There's no reason to listen to your stereo because either there is something wrong with your hearing, or your equipment sucks.

See ya
Steve

I suppose I could fix both of those problems with some liberal EQ'ing, right?

Feb 27, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #375 of 411
Quote:

See ya
Steve

PWNED!

Seriously Yota, I don't see how you can hear any difference between cables with your mom yelling at you down the basement stairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back