Is it supposed to hurt the first time?
Mar 10, 2003 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

OriginalReaper

500+ Head-Fier
My ears have lost their virginity to Etymotics. It hurts
frown.gif

They've been in there for about 10 minutes. I heard they're supposed to get warmer (temperature) and softer (texture) but it ain't happenin yet.

Other than that... Getting a seal takes about 30 seconds per ear. They sound a bit bright*, too...

*SlimX imp-350 and D-25S

Mar 11, 2003 at 12:03 AM Post #2 of 27
No they shouldn't hurt, although you will feel their presence. It may take some time to find the right insertion depth and it does take a while for the seal to become full. My comfort issues usually start after a few hours although there may be a little discomfort right at first.

What eartips are you using? If you have small ear-canals the tips may exert too much pressure. I don't know if you can get smaller tips without going to the work of modifying earplugs or buying a custom earmold.

Mar 11, 2003 at 12:32 AM Post #4 of 27
I don't think the ER6s fit better than the ER4s with the silicon tip.

Your best bet is to try the foamies and see how they fit.

Mar 11, 2003 at 12:58 AM Post #5 of 27
The D-25s is reputed to be a very bright player. Maybe that's part of the problem.

Mar 11, 2003 at 1:31 AM Post #6 of 27
With respect to the perception of brightness - give it a few hours of listening before you try to decide what they sound like. Many headphones and stereo systems have exagerated bass so listening to a flat system can make it seem like the bass is weak. On the other hand, if you don't get a good seal, the etys will lose a lot of bass so you can't simply assume that your expectations are wrong. You can tell how good your seal is by how much outside sounds are attenuated, particularly at low frequencies. If they are very quiet, the seal is probably OK.

It does take a minute or so for the eartips to conform to your ears (listen for the outside noises to go away with no signal) but it takes longer (several hours) to get used to the sound. Once you get used to it it is hard to go back to other phones. Try listening to music with acoustic instruments without a lot of processing so that you have a more direct reference to what the recording should really sound like.

Mar 11, 2003 at 1:48 AM Post #7 of 27
biggest problem with etys... gotta lube it up before you stick it in. That bodily orifice is not meant for insertion and you must treat it accordingly. Make sure you get the tips nice & wet and it's a good idea to twist during insertion & removal (well, they slide in & out more easily whilest being rotated).

Mar 11, 2003 at 1:50 AM Post #8 of 27
The first time I used Etymotics it hurt, a lot.

It turned out I was inserting them incorrectly, basically I was pushing them into my ears where I should really have been putting my ears around the headphones.

ie: don't hold the etys firmly and shove them into your ears, just hold them between thumb and forefinger to guide them to the entrance of your ear then tilt your head down onto them while putting your thumb or forefinger on the base of them to hold them in place - you should feel them move around a little on your thumb.

Also, use lots of lubrication (spit works great for me, though I wouldn't hack up anything special for the occasion) and make sure the angle you're inserting them is correct; about 45degrees upwards.
The best tip I had for determining angle was to insert a cotton-tip into your ear (very shallow) while standing in front of a mirror and look at the angle it hangs at - that's the angle you insert the etys.

It takes a while, I actually used the ER-20s to get used to the other headphones, inserting and removing them now and then to get used to the sensation, playing with angle and depth until I was confident
smily_headphones1.gif

It took me about 3 days to get good at it, now I can shove and forget pretty easily.

BTW, the ER-6 is extremely comfortable compared to the ER-4
wink.gif

When it comes to sound, let them burn in - give them a chance, play with depth and angle of insertion and you should find they sound better with a little adjustment/burnin.

Mar 11, 2003 at 1:51 AM Post #9 of 27
they did hurt for a few days but then it comes to a point where it's hardly noticeable. the initial discomfort is fair trade off for the amazing sound that the ety's deliver. you might want to try a lubricant for it. i use debrox ear wax removal as a lubricant. one applicant will last about a week, and i guess it's more hygenic than using saliva. you can find debrox in most drug stores. i hope you will enjoy the ety's as much as i do, because it is a truly remarkable.

Mar 11, 2003 at 2:45 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Snufkin
Also, use lots of lubrication (spit works great for me, though I wouldn't hack up anything special for the occasion)

LOL
biggrin.gif

perhaps drink some milk before spitting, better consistency and seal.

Mar 11, 2003 at 4:49 AM Post #14 of 27
Man oh man - Snufkin, you're into some serious foreplay!

I've got to agree that lubrication is essential, and it does indeed help to twist the earbuds as you are inserting them. You might also try to give your earlobe a gentle wiggle with your free hand to open it up a bit as you twist in the lubed Ety. I also like the idea of easing your head into the earbud (hadn't thought of that one) but it's similar to threading a needle - much easier to hold the thread (Ety's) still while you move the needle (your head).

Mar 11, 2003 at 4:54 AM Post #15 of 27
I'll just add that if you don't have a good seal, the Etys will definitely sound thin and I guess bright. Work on it. It's worth it.
smily_headphones1.gif
Once you get it down, you can get them in and out really quickly.

-Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back