Is it supposed to hurt the first time?
Mar 11, 2003 at 5:02 AM Post #16 of 27
I don't think lubing is essential but I'm sure it makes things easier...just make sure your rubbers are clean. Don't wash them and the ever so thin and even non-visible layer of ear wax that may be on them will eventually accumulate and harden, making it that much harder.

Mar 11, 2003 at 5:10 AM Post #17 of 27
One recommendation I've read before that works well for me is to insert the Etys until it starts to get uncomfortable (not painful!) and then pull slightly out. The silicon tips will try to bend back and create a better seal.

One thing to keep in mind is your ear canal goes up.

Your ears do get used to having something like the etys in your ears, but they should never be painful.

Also, some people have reported that you don't have to insert them in very far in order to get a good seal.

Is the brightness harsh treble or the lack of bass?

Mar 11, 2003 at 5:10 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Tim D
I don't think lubing is essential but I'm sure it makes things easier...just make sure your rubbers are clean. Don't wash them and the ever so thin and even non-visible layer of ear wax that may be on them will eventually accumulate and harden, making it that much harder.

I find that if I don't moisten the tips, when I insert them they will easily come back out with even a light pull. Moistening them for me seems to get a tighter seal. And I have a funny thought on a thin layer of wax. You know how brake pads will leave a layer of themselves on your brake rotors, so you are sort of getting pad on pad for better friction for braking? Well I kind of see that for the Ety tips, getting a better seal. I found that putting new tips on made it harder to get a good consistent seal. I may be totally wrong on that theory, though. Heh.

Mar 11, 2003 at 5:15 AM Post #19 of 27
Blechhhh!

Anybody wandering onto these boards and this thread will think that it's populated by obsessed otaku freaks! Or fetishists.

Thank god we're not really like that tho'
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2003 at 5:18 AM Post #20 of 27
I agree with what Wmcmanus has said about pulling your eartlobes down and around to find that clear path for the insertion of the Ety's. At first, for me, my earcanals were also in some pain. They became incredibly tender. But after I got use to them (in about 3 days) I discovered that they are the most comfortable phones yet...the reason being is because you're wearing next to nothing. Sleeping in the nude is always more comfortable versus sleeping in clothing...hey, it's true for me at least! You'll definitely notice when you get the right seal...it's kinda like suddenly coming to a profound realization. Somewhat like figuring out the meaning of life=which is obviously listening to your favorite music through the Etymotic ER4S earphones!

biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2003 at 10:42 PM Post #22 of 27
I wasn't judging the headphones when I posted this. It was just my first impression.

After more use (approximately 4 hours cumulative) my ears hurt less. I pushed them farther in (yes, deeper) and the bass improved. It sounded less muddy.

You can every thump from your steps, so it's not the best thing to use while walking.

i'll try to post a review in a week.

Mar 11, 2003 at 11:36 PM Post #23 of 27
originalreaper,

some suggestions:
use the foamies, not the silicon tips
place a small amount of foam in the base of the foamies' tube
burn them in for a few days!!
try the earhugger mod
try them with an amp

congrats on your etys.

Mar 12, 2003 at 12:56 AM Post #24 of 27
I bought them used and didn't get foams. I assumed they're already burned in, but I'd rather burn them in while listening anyway.

Mar 12, 2003 at 2:05 AM Post #25 of 27
I also think it's worth pointing out that the silicon tips get quite a bit softer over time. Whenever I change tips, it's startling to me how uncomfortable they are at first. But then they start to soften up and the world is wonderful again.

Mar 12, 2003 at 3:22 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamK
I also think it's worth pointing out that the silicon tips get quite a bit softer over time. Whenever I change tips, it's startling to me how uncomfortable they are at first. But then they start to soften up and the world is wonderful again.

Hmm, maybe that's it. I thought it was what I previously mentioned about the layer against layer of ear wax.
smily_headphones1.gif
Whatever it is, I find that I can't keep a good consistent seal with new tips on.

Mar 15, 2003 at 9:32 PM Post #27 of 27
As you can see, everyone has their own opinion on this issue, so I guess I'll weigh in too. The technique I use came from another thread here, but I don't remember whose "method" it was. Whoever it was, thank you. I have the 4P/Ss, so you may need to adjust the technique for the ER-6.

I use the silicone tips. I tried the foamies once, but didn't care for them. It felt like they were going to rip my ear canals wide open. The biggest problem I originally had with the silicone tips was inserting them too far, which made them really uncomfortable.

Anyway, here is what I do:

- I don't lubricate them; I've never felt the need to, and I read that it tends to make them itchy after a while.
- Insert them just until they feel like they're starting to get tight (not very deep), with the wire pointing forward (instead of down).
- Pull back your ear (a la the Etymotic instructions) without inserting further. They'll seem to loosen up.
- Twist 90 degrees until the wires point down while inserting a little further (again, until they feel like they're starting to get tight).
- Pull them out a tad to equalize pressure without breaking the seal.

For me, this gets them in far enough to seal without causing discomfort. After they've been in a while, they'll conform to your ear canal, and you'll hardly notice them. You can see the effect when you remove them; in my case one side flattens out.

For me, the secret to comfort and good sound was not to try to insert them too far. You'll read a lot here that they need to be inserted deeply in order to get good sound, but that just caused me discomfort. I think the key to making Etys enjoyable is to insert them just deep enough to get them sealed up. The technique above does that for me.

Try everything people have said here, and eventually you'll find something that works for you. I had my doubts for a while whether I'd ever get used to these, but the sound kept me coming back until I found an insertion method that works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back