Is it possible to put an EQ inside a headphone shell in between driver and cable ?
Dec 9, 2022 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

RaynFox

New Head-Fier
Hey! There exist many equalizer circuits and I wonder, if I could somehow EQ a driver by putting a resistor and a capacitor or just a capacitor inside the headphone shell between the cable and driver. I have nice drivers but I don't want to use software to tune the EQ, but also don't want to have an external box for the EQ. I'd specifically like to tune a few frequencies to add and remove some dB. Thanks in advance for any answers

Dec 10, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 2
Hi,

It is possible. Here is a website covering this:

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/passive-filters/

There are however a number of limitations.

First, passive filters cannot "boost", they need to "cut" all frequencies except what is being boosted. The same of course is technically true for digital EQ's.

Second, they insert series impedances with the driver which may alter damping and thus sound.

Third, each frequency range used needs an RL/RC/RLC circuit and multiple circuits together will interact with each other.

Fourth, making such circuits easily adjustable is anything but easy.

Alternatively it has always been my suggestion to include any EQ that performs large and wideband boost of frequency ranges (e.g. bass boost) into the headphone amplifier and use Cut EQ in a digital EQ to deal with annoying narrow peaks and leave dips generally alone.

Thor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back