Is it possible to connect an Hifiman 601 or 602 to a Stax SRM-252S or a Hifiman EF-5 ?
Nov 28, 2010 at 4:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

MayaTlab

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm considering the option to buy my first home ring. But as I'd also like to continue having a portable one and to minimize costs, I'd like to know if it is possible to connect an Hifiman HM-601 (preferably that one) or a HM-602 to various amps but more particularly these two :

Stax SRM-252S (the new one) + Stax SR-207
Hifiman EF-5 + HE4

Why these two ? Because If I go for a home setup I'd like to try something a little different than dynamic headphones (I already own a pair of ESW10 which are arguably quite good as far as middle range dynamic headphones go).

If it is possible to do so, which cable would I need ?
Am I right to suppose that I would need a line out to RCA or something like this ? (I really don't know anything).

The other reason why the HM-601(2) temps me is because if their reportedly analog sound signature. I'm expecting it to be a great pair with the Stax setup as the latter is supposed to be on the slightly bright side.
But how will it do with the Hifiman one ? That one seems to be pretty much absent from te web right now, but head-direct pretends that its sound signature is similar to the HE-5LE one (of course I'm pretty sure it is going to be inferior in technicalities).

I'm particularly looking here at a very critical and natural / tonally correct kind of sound signature (I'm mainly going to listen to high quality recordings on this home setup such as some classical music recording, jazz, soundtracks (for example : the very well recorded Akira soundtrack), and any other well recorded album). 
However, I don't want that setup to sound dry, or technical : it should still be rich, with a great sense of mood and atmosphere, effortless, with good dynamics (which to me is different than bass impact, that's why I'm still considering electrostats). I'm not going to do any studio monitoring after all.
I tend to dislike major spikes or dips in the FR curve, but smaller ones should be OK.
To sum up : I'm not looking for something that does one thing very well and then stumbles on something else. I'd like them to be great all rounders, without any major flaw, and, if impossible, to be slightly better at classical than other genres.

I'll leave the dirty rock for the portable setup.

Also, I'm still not sure that I'll buy a home ring, I'm just considering my options here.

If you have any other dynamic home option that would be a great choice I'm still wide open to suggestion, wether it would be powered straight from the HM-601 (maybe a Sennheiser HD-600 for example ?) or through an amp.

Budget is roughly the price of the Hifiman setup or the Stax one (I can get them for the same price).

Thanks !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back