Is it just me or are the M50s beyond FOTM status?
Dec 5, 2010 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Ikarios

1000+ Head-Fier
Having just recently become more involved in Head-Fi discussions (as of this summer) I've noticed the M50s have been popular for quite some time, and are almost universally recommended when someone wants a $50-100 headphone. I've been around for a few other FOTMs (AKG K81DJs, Equation RP21s, Goldring DR150, etc etc) but to the extent of my knowledge none of them have been this popular for this long. I know the M50s are good, but this is like a phenomenal forum-wide epidemic. Have the M50s transcended FOTM status and become FOTY? Will their popularity die out anytime soon?
Just wondering.

Dec 5, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 9
I wanna try them!

I can't find anything but good reviews for them anywhere. . . must be at least pretty good. 

Dec 5, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 9
This one seems to be sticking like how everyone was recommending k701 and we had a lot of members with under powered k701, but led to the reduce cost of k701

of course they'll eventually fade away like the poor sony eggos

Edit: By poor eggo means I miss my d77s 

Dec 5, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
This one seems to be sticking like how everyone was recommending k701 and we had a lot of members with under powered k701, but led to the reduce cost of k701

of course they'll eventually fade away like the poor sony eggos

Well neighbor... come to the meet in Feb., and I'll demo a pair for you. Become a convert, you might... 
wink_face.gif

L3000.gif

Dec 5, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 9
They are popular because they give a lot of people what they want, a relatively inexpensive easy to drive phone with a prominent bass response.  Midrange, separation and soundstage are not there strong points. They aren't the nearly best phones in the price range from a technical standpoint but they have a sound signature that people who are after bass heavy phones will enjoy.  Personally Id take the DT440, DT250, AD700, MS-1 etc over them any day.

Dec 5, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #6 of 9
They will die out as FOTM if they can no longer be obtained for less than $150. In Australia the M50s are priced between $200 to $300. Thank Christ for online retailers.

Edit: I'm all for supporting local business but the mark up on items sold locally is ridiculous and shows contempt for the market. Even if tax was introduced for all items purchased overseas, there would still be considerable bargains to be had online. These greedy bastards are only pricing themselves out of the market. End rant.

Dec 5, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #7 of 9
I think people are recommending them a lot to steer people away from other headphones in the price range.  I know I'm doing that from now on.  Need to go check stock on t50rp's again....  ggrrrrrr..... 

Dec 6, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #8 of 9
They are a pretty solid buy, especially for someone who has little experience.  I always have thought about selling them, but for some reason, I have problem parting with them.  Beside from sound quality, they also have other features too that are easy to like such as they are smaller than a lot of full size, then they have the ability to fold down, come with a pouch, tough where you aren't too concern about breaking them (look at the youtube video by headroom), don't need an amp to sound good, isolation performance is good, comfort is good, looks nice.  They seem to have a lot to offer at the price of $100.  Not only that, but the $100 mark seems to be the magical number for people who want to tryout headphones beyond the typical retailers headphones.

Dec 6, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #9 of 9
I've recently bought M50s after months and months of looking for a decent-priced pair. The hype had me interested, but they're way too expensive in Germany. I finally bought a used one via the headfi F/S forums and I'm glad I didn't pay full German retail price. They're nice-sounding, but nothing to really write home about afaic. Bass is great though.
They're really comfy, light-weight, easy to drive and good-looking too, which is why I'm keeping them as portable headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back