Is IE8 really a $400?
Jul 24, 2009 at 6:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 79

dhc0329

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been struggling whole week to justify the purchase of IE8 for my X1051.
I plugged the earphone into my running FM radio for whole week (24x7 = 168 hours of burn in) yet I cannot get this phone to open up.

It could depend on the songs I play but some songs especially with a heavy bass sounds bloated. Basically, this phone makes sounds congested and stuffy as compared to Sony stock earphone (playing same song in question).

I must have defective ear or something but I cannot find a true value in this phone. I bought this phone b/c everyone seems to love it but I am almost at stage of frustration. I am currently using the foam tips but silicon pieces although it made it a slightly better but not enough.

I will give one more week on this earphone and if it doesn't shape up. I am dumping it...

I used to own Sensaphonic custom 2Xs and SE530 so I do have experience with IEM. I am beginning to think that burin-in's also a delusion.

Jul 24, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #2 of 79
There is a large, a long, a MASSIVE thread covering every conceivable question pertaining to the IE8.
EVERY
CONCEIVABLE
QUESTION
and then some
You may find some help there

That said - the IE8s are absolute buggers to fit satisfactorily for some folk.

Jul 24, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #3 of 79
Ah, that reminds of how I felt when I purchased the RS-1 for full retail price. So not worth it.

Jul 24, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #4 of 79
Might be the tips. But mine didn't open up in the treble until after 200 hours. And there was a bigger change when I went from Comply tips to silicon tips. And they didn't open up until somewhere around 150 hours. You can read my IE8 vs. PFE comparison here which lists my burn in milestones (somewhere in the thread).

Also, how loud you burn it in may make a difference in burn in time. Another member experienced very similar burn in milestones to mine, but 100 or so hours later in the process vs. my findings.

Jul 24, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #5 of 79
I think they're worth it. I previously owned a pair of TF10, and found the bass lacking. The IE8 was a nice upgrade in that area.

Since when do you have the IE8, and how many hours have you listened to them for? (
ph34r.gif
)

Jul 24, 2009 at 8:29 AM Post #6 of 79
I had this for about 7 days and I plugged this thing into running radio when I am not in use, so I would say it had over 100 hours of operation.

average joe, are you saying that I should raise the volume of my radio to accelerate my burn time?

Jul 24, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #8 of 79
The IE8 at the end of the day is a basshead IEM... if you are not a basshead why did you get the IE8 in the first place? Many people hype up the new generation of $400 IEMs but IMHO they are barely an upgrade from the old generation of SE530, TF10 and UM2.

Jul 24, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #9 of 79
I like to stick with good value for money Mid-Fi IEMs, and leave the real work for full sized cans. It works out much cheaper, for me anyways.

Jul 24, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #10 of 79
not sure if the store you bought them from has return policies...but give them more time if possible and try different tips. If the sound still doesn't work for you, check out the return policy duration, and if its no go then off to the FS forum. Then the search begins again...

Jul 24, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #11 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The IE8 at the end of the day is a basshead IEM... if you are not a basshead why did you get the IE8 in the first place? Many people hype up the new generation of $400 IEMs but IMHO they are barely an upgrade from the old generation of SE530, TF10 and UM2.

I agree with this guy. It is a basshead IEM, and I guess it was hyped up quite a bit. I think it was because it was a dynamic IEM instead of being a BA based IEM. Anyway, I think it's just that you don't like the sound sig of the Sennheiser. I personally like it, it's quite smooth and relaxing for my ears.

Jul 24, 2009 at 10:41 AM Post #12 of 79
wait a bit before returning them.i was in the same boat when i got them but i put them on pink noise for about 4 days and then spend some serious time listining to them.my advice to you is to put them on pink noise for 3-4 days AT LOUDER VOLUME THAN WHAT THE VOLUME YOU LISTEN TO.(i use my zune at volume 3-5 out of 20)but when i burned them in i put them on 15 out of 20)be patient and after the burn it ,spend some serious time with them and i am sure you are gonna appreciate the sound. ALSO CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT TIPS ARE YOU USING?this affects the sound alot i mean alot.

Jul 24, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #13 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by GN85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think they're worth it. I previously owned a pair of TF10, and found the bass lacking. The IE8 was a nice upgrade in that area.

Since when do you have the IE8, and how many hours have you listened to them for? (
ph34r.gif
)

No complains with TF10 bass with foamies, although sometimes I have used Rockbox's bass tone control, but usually for older albums which are a bit bass shy in the first place.

Jul 24, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #14 of 79
Depends

If tacky "bass setting notches" are for you then yes
If overblown booming bass - being inserted into songs even which should not even have it - on the lowest bass setting, then yes
If you prefer more of a balanced sound and are seeking bass that is deep, textured yet controlled but importantly without being overdone and detracting from the rest of the sound, then no

Jul 24, 2009 at 12:45 PM Post #15 of 79
Depending on your store's return policy, I'd recommend another 2 weeks or so not just for
burn-in but also for you testing different tips and different ways to wear/insert them. As
for the amount of burn-in IE8 requires it's quite out there, many heard huge differences after
the first 24 hours, others 200hrs and more, and some like me 400hrs and more for the first
change (bass no longer bloats and muddy and colors as much, headstage opening up). The ways to
burn them are just as varied, I played music of multiple genres and pink/white noise plus
frequency sweeps, out of the 400hrs 200 and more were spent playing at the maximum
volume my laptop can produce, which translates to I used IE8 as a laptop speaker.

I do disagree with IE8 be categorized as a basshead's IEM only, it is very
capable of balance across the spectrum given that you experiment with
tips/wear/insertion, and maybe even taping your bass dial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back