Is IE8 really a $400?
Jul 24, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #16 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with this guy. It is a basshead IEM, and I guess it was hyped up quite a bit. I think it was because it was a dynamic IEM instead of being a BA based IEM. Anyway, I think it's just that you don't like the sound sig of the Sennheiser. I personally like it, it's quite smooth and relaxing for my ears.

It's not necessarily a bass head IEM. I have made mine actually bass lite by not sealing them in my ear, Sounds a lot better this way IMO

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #17 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhc0329 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had this for about 7 days and I plugged this thing into running radio when I am not in use, so I would say it had over 100 hours of operation.

average joe, are you saying that I should raise the volume of my radio to accelerate my burn time?

Yes, loud volume.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The IE8 at the end of the day is a basshead IEM... if you are not a basshead why did you get the IE8 in the first place? Many people hype up the new generation of $400 IEMs but IMHO they are barely an upgrade from the old generation of SE530, TF10 and UM2.

Disagree, the IE8 has a similar sound sig to the W3. Is that a basshead IEM?

Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wait a bit before returning them.i was in the same boat when i got them but i put them on pink noise for about 4 days and then spend some serious time listining to them.my advice to you is to put them on pink noise for 3-4 days AT LOUDER VOLUME THAN WHAT THE VOLUME YOU LISTEN TO.(i use my zune at volume 3-5 out of 20)but when i burned them in i put them on 15 out of 20)be patient and after the burn it ,spend some serious time with them and i am sure you are gonna appreciate the sound. ALSO CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT TIPS ARE YOU USING?this affects the sound alot i mean alot.

See above.

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #18 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not necessarily a bass head IEM. I have made mine actually bass lite by not sealing them in my ear, Sounds a lot better this way IMO

This is true.

I've had shallow insertions remove all of the syrup and congestion in the middle and lower registers that came with a full seal.

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #19 of 79
I agree that 100 hours of burn-in is not nearly enough. It is crazy, but even at 300 hours of burn-in, it still wasn't enough time. Since the IE8 is my only IEM, I was shocked to find out that after 500+ hours with them, I noticed that I was turning "down" the volume on my iPod. I could only attribute this to the IE8's ability to open up and relax, even after all of these hours of usage.

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #20 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree that 100 hours of burn-in is not nearly enough. It is crazy, but even at 300 hours of burn-in, it still wasn't enough time. Since the IE8 is my only IEM, I was shocked to find out that after 500+ hours with them, I noticed that I was turning "down" the volume on my iPod. I could only attribute this to the IE8's ability to open up and relax, even after all of these hours of usage.

:O That was the same for me as well!

Jul 24, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #22 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
:O That was the same for me as well!

Yet there is a whole thread debating if there is burn in for the IE8
rolleyes.gif

Jul 24, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #23 of 79
I like the IE8 a whole lot. It is well suited to my tastes, and I vehemently disagree with the disparaging posts which suggest the IE8 is simply a boomy basshead IEM. While self-identified bassheads can feel free to crank up the dials to achieve this effect, at the default minimum bass setting, the IE8's actually have excellent detail and resolution in the bottom end, embodying, with proper fit, the sound signature of a pair of HD650's in portable form.

That said, $400 is too much for any universal IEM in my opinion (at least, of those I've heard). At $230, through the ncix deal a while back, the IE8's were an excellent buy, but I can't imagine feeling totally happy with them if I had laid down the retail msrp.

Jul 24, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #25 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dhc0329, what source are you using and is there any EQ or other DSP involved?

I think his source is sony X seires

Jul 24, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #27 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think his source is sony X seires

You're right, the X1051. Sorry, I must have overlooked this in his first post. Still, it would be interesting whether he's using the EQ or other DSP enhancements.

Jul 24, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #28 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I kind of regret selling my IE8's. They are probably my overall favorite in terms of sound, unfortunately they weren't the same fit wise.

The fit part is no a problem to me, what decisive point for me to sell IE8 is isolation
wink.gif

I agree with you IE8 overall sound signature is very attracting

Jul 24, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #29 of 79
If you are using X1051, the EQ setting would make whole lot of difference.
Can anyone recommend the best EQ setting?

I have x1061 and have the following EQ setting (clear bass: +1 and 00122).

Jul 24, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #30 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are using X1051, the EQ setting would make whole lot of difference.
Can anyone recommend the best EQ setting?

I have x1061 and have the following EQ setting (clear bass: +1 and 00122).

Just curious about eq setting. What does it change exactly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back