Is everyone dumping their SinglePower amps?
Aug 24, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #17 of 39
If you're looking for a culprit - the stagnant economy/inflation, ridiculous gas prices, and the imminent start of a new school year would seem to be the most likely candidates imo.

It seems like there have been more high end postings across the board in the last few months - in the can and source sections as well.

Aug 24, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #18 of 39
Summer is typically a buyer's market so if you see amps languish in the FS forum it might have something to do with the slower pace of the greater economy in general. Thing will pick up when the holiday season rolls around in a few months.

Of course the recent complaints about Single Power's customer service might have something to do with it too.

Aug 24, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #19 of 39
It amuses me that a thread i put up in 2007 (about what good amp the MPX3 is) is now being used as evidence to support the attempts of several highly self-interested "members" of this community to ruin SP. For those of you haven't been around that long, this isn't the first time that SP has been attacked by a select set of "members" from headfi.

It's business as usual at dumb-fi.

Aug 24, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #20 of 39
As others have said before me these threads keep poping up everytime a SP amp is in the for sale forum and it's only a few of them.It's nothing to be concerned about because time to time you will see the same with Ray's amps and i never see a doom and gloom thread about that.But i am betting we will see another one of these threads soon.

Aug 24, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #21 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many possibilities indeed!
Stick with #1 and thanks for your contribution to the thread.

My pleasure indeed! May you find whatever it is you are looking for!

Aug 24, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #22 of 39
Man if you read the threads, it's back to school, back to work, back to life or whatever? These paranoia threads just KILL ME
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 25, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #23 of 39
There are always times when several of the same amp get sold at the same time. Doesn't mean anything 99.9% of the time it's a random event. I'm actually more surprised that there are 2 ATH-W2002 up for sale at the same time right now. Statistically speaking I think it's more of an anomaly...

Aug 25, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #24 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzziguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that the reason it looks like a lot of examples of a particular brand are suddenly for sale is that if a user is looking for that brand, he/she looks at many threads for that brand in the for sale forum. That person often responds to some of them, which has the effect of bumping the threads and making it look like a torrent is for sale. I don't see any unusual sales activity on SP amps. If there really are a bunch of SP amps for sale, here's your chance to pick up a great sounding amp at a great price.

This is so true! Have you ever noticed that you notice the things that you're most interested in? Case in point: Several years ago, I was driving in a car with my cousin, who owns a large construction company and has millions of dollars invested in Caterpillar earth moving equipment (of all possible kinds and varieties). As we were driving, he must have pointed out at least 3 or 4 different Cats, and explained what each one did, or told me that he used to have one of those, or was going to get one of those, etc. I'm an accountant/lawyer. I don't notice those things at all. I wouldn't have even seen the construction sites, let alone the equipment he was pointing out. It just doesn't mean anything to me.

Same is true when you buy a new car, or are thinking about buying a certain model. Suddenly, you see them everywhere. It could be a vehicle that has existed for years, such as a Honda CR-V, which you never paid one ounce of attention to for as long as you can remember. Then you go shopping with your girlfriend/wife, and she expresses an interest in a CR-V. That event then triggers an interest in your mind, and your mind's vision suddenly has another focal point. It means something to you now, so you start seeing them everywhere. Then if you buy one, what you start seeing are those on the road with your COLOR or the particular options that you chose!

I've got three Singlepower amps at the moment, and may be selling my Maestro ZR simply because it has essentially been made redundant by my SDS-XLR. That one I'll keep, along with the ES-1, probably forever and ever. I don't really see FS or WTB ads about Singlepower because I'm not in the market to either buy or sell the moment (although that may change soon if I decide to sell the Maestro ZR).

Aug 25, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #25 of 39
Quote:

If you're looking for a culprit - the stagnant economy/inflation, ridiculous gas prices, and the imminent start of a new school year would seem to be the most likely candidates imo.

Skeptic hit it on the head.. Wait 'til early next year when the economic woes really flex their influence--you'll find all kinds of used A/V equipment and electronics, guns, vehicles, jewelry and houses up on the block in WAY bigger numbers than you see right now.

Mine's stayin' where it is--'bad rep' and all--the first-born will go before my SP.

Aug 25, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #26 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are always times when several of the same amp get sold at the same time. Doesn't mean anything 99.9% of the time it's a random event. I'm actually more surprised that there are 2 ATH-W2002 up for sale at the same time right now. Statistically speaking I think it's more of an anomaly...

I'd say the statistical anomaly was when 3 L3000s and 2 HE90s were being sold at the same time.
tongue.gif

Aug 25, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say the statistical anomaly was when 3 L3000s and 2 HE90s were being sold at the same time.
tongue.gif

Yupper, that would be a big one!
tongue.gif

Aug 27, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzziguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that the reason it looks like a lot of examples of a particular brand are suddenly for sale is that if a user is looking for that brand, he/she looks at many threads for that brand in the for sale forum.

That's a possibility Guzzi although I've never yet seriously thought of picking up a SinglePower amp.
I'm still discovering my Melos. Generally speaking, I skip any threads on SP gear and had only paid attention of late after noticing the thread seeking to tally monies and gear that Mikhail might have in his possession.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's one:
Why do we see so many Singlepower Amps for sale on HeadFi?

Thanks Headphony. Like I said, I'd never paid much attention to SP threads until lately.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not sure what you are aiming for here.

Certainly nothing untoward vcoheda. Why; what do you aim for when you start a thread on head-fi?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
comments made by those who are not currently selling a singlepower amp, which will be the majority, will be conjecture and speculation - even if seemingly reasonable. and for whose who are actually selling a singlepower amp at the moment, i find it highly unlikely that if the recent events surrounding mikhail were the reason for the sale, they would admit to that.

so if you are merely looking for people to agree with your theory, i think that is possible - but not very constructive. if you are looking for people to come into a thread and lay out the reasons for why they are selling a given item, i don't see that happening - regardless of the situation.

Come now, if we were to ban conjecture and speculation, there'd be but a ragged shell of this site left. While you may not find it particularly constructive, no one and nothing is twisting your arm to participate.

For myself, it strikes me that the concept of the "Flavour of the month" piece of kit or manufacturer is well accepted and understood so why should there not be a "Turkey of the month" phenomenon at work on head-fi?

Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think that with the current threads going around about wait times and repairs not being returned in a timely fashion, this question is a highly valued one.

But remember, history shows us, that even bad manufacturer press can actually benefit the company, because it puts their company name in more heads then if it were never mentioned.

No kidding!!
Now after going back and reading the threads on SinglePower's business practices, I'm amazed that anyone still buys their gear and with people fronting tens of thousands of dollars so they can make statements about owning the "best" amp in the world etc while still waiting after months. In a hobby full of more snake oil than most, I find their willingness to chug back the cool-aid frankly reassuring as it has to be good for the industry as a whole.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am sure there are SinglePower owners around here who don't dump their amplifier. So the answer is negative!

Why thank you for a straight answer to a striaght question Krmathis.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeptic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This could certainly be a factor and one that I had only peripherally considered.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Logan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As others have said before me these threads keep poping up everytime a SP amp is in the for sale forum and it's only a few of them.It's nothing to be concerned about because time to time you will see the same with Ray's amps and i never see a doom and gloom thread about that.But i am betting we will see another one of these threads soon.

Well Ray's customer service seems to be on a whole different planet than SinglePower if the threads elsewhere on head-fi are even vaguely substantive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Welcome and sorry for your equanimity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That is very true but I also don't think any one of us is currently concerned about Audio-Technica's biz practices or solvency.

Aug 27, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #29 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It amuses me that a thread i put up in 2007 (about what good amp the MPX3 is) is now being used as evidence to support the attempts of several highly self-interested "members" of this community to ruin SP. For those of you haven't been around that long, this isn't the first time that SP has been attacked by a select set of "members" from headfi.

please re-read my post, it supports that everyone is NOT dumping their SP amps. I state just the opposite that there are many many SP amp owners out there that are holding on to their amps and IMHO because they enjoy the heck out of them. The posts I listed were there as evidence that this speculation comes up time to time and not just with SP.

Now with that stated surely Mikhail needs to finish clearing his backlog and satisfy the remaining customers that are waiting.

So if you post was stating that I have an anti SP agenda then sorry you missed the point.

Aug 27, 2008 at 10:42 AM Post #30 of 39
I am not selling. In fact, I have picked up two new ones lately .... a one off high voltage PPX3 SLAM and a Mini-Tube prototype. When I say new, I mean new as in used, but new to me. I also reclaimed a Supra I owned but sold to fund a dac purchase. I havent even taken a pic of the MT yet. When I sold my Woo 6 and Maplteree Ear+ I bought another used PPX3 SLAM .... second pic, first shelf, lower right.

I think the speed of delivery is typically much different for a product build vs one of these uber custom SP amps. I have bought three new amps from SP and my stock Extreme was quick. But, when I added new options to create the MPX3 SLAM SE, for example, or returned amps for upgrades, that definitely took awhile.

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

HPIM0243.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back