Is DAP worth for a beginner ?
Oct 13, 2022 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

banchuk

New Head-Fier
Hello fellow audio connoisseurs.
I'm just starting out with high quality audio gear and purchased Moondrop Aria Snow Edition (still shipping).
So the next step would be an audio source, so I'm looking to purchase DAP or a USB DAC or even a desktop DAC.
After reading reviews and forums for weeks I still can't decide.
Currently I own:
  • B&O H6 Khaled Edition (present from back in the days)
  • Galaxy Buds Beans paired with Samsung S21 Ultra
  • Aria Snow (waiting on them)
  • PC Speakers (old Bose Companion 3)
My main question is: Is it worth to get an all around DAP (TempoTeck v6- Currently priced 380 CAD ~ 279 USD) that can be used as a USB DAC for PC
OR
Get a dongle (BTR 5) and a desktop DAC as 2 separate devices.

I do listen to music 60% at home and 40% outside so I want a portable device, though the size/2nd device doesn't bother me.
Most of my music comes from Spotify (waiting on the Hi-Fi option) and home server (plex) with CD rips of the albums I own physically.

The only argument against a dongle for a phone is the battery usage.

I'm happy to hear your opinion and suggestions and if you know any other thread with same question, please do let me know.

Thanks !

Oct 13, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 18
Oct 13, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 18
I'd go for the BTR7, not the BTR5, just for a bit of future proofing oneself and having longer support (firmware updates) over time.

However....I recently went away from the BT/dongle/dac solutions (phone setup) to get away from having music interrupted. While I ended up with an iBasso DX320, I was looking at the DX160 & DX220 for awhile. Call me an iBasso fanboy (I'm ok with that :relaxed:), but maybe consider a DX170. It's not crazily more $$ than the TempoTec DAP, the 170 is getting pretty nice reviews, comes with a much more recent Android software version.

As the usual HF saying goes....Welcome to Head-Fi, Sorry about your wallet!

Oct 13, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #5 of 18
I'd go for the BTR7, not the BTR5, just for a bit of future proofing oneself and having longer support (firmware updates) over time.

However....I recently went away from the BT/dongle/dac solutions (phone setup) to get away from having music interrupted. While I ended up with an iBasso DX320, I was looking at the DX160 & DX220 for awhile. Call me an iBasso fanboy (I'm ok with that :relaxed:), but maybe consider a DX170. It's not crazily more $$ than the TempoTec DAP, the 170 is getting pretty nice reviews, comes with a much more recent Android software version.

As the usual HF saying goes....Welcome to Head-Fi, Sorry about your wallet!
Thank you for the suggestion!
BTR7 looks nice and I guess it is more powerful than BTR5. Also future proofing is something I do look in to, as I don't want to spend more money on the "audio source" in the next 3-4 years at least.

And DX170 .... looks very nice and android 11 again is more recent than 8.1 on V6, however it costs 460 US ( 200 Us more than v6 on early bird price)

I guess I wouldn't be in such rush if tempotec wasn't on early bird special, the price is too good.

And thank you for such a warm welcome :sweat_smile:

Oct 13, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 18
Thank you for the suggestion!
BTR7 looks nice and I guess it is more powerful than BTR5. Also future proofing is something I do look in to, as I don't want to spend more money on the "audio source" in the next 3-4 years at least.

And DX170 .... looks very nice and android 11 again is more recent than 8.1 on V6, however it costs 460 US ( 200 Us more than v6 on early bird price)

I guess I wouldn't be in such rush if tempotec wasn't on early bird special, the price is too good.

And thank you for such a warm welcome :sweat_smile:
Future proofing/patience is tough in the audio hype world.....however, FiiO is a company that's on top of software releases for a good while. The BTR7 is just released, should get FW updates for a good length of time.

The TempoTec v6 is a kickstarter project? Still not shipping? If you do go for it, please use a credit card (not debit/PayPal/etc) in case things go south. I know I'm sounding like Dad, but, well, the shoe fits(!), I am a Dad.

FWIW, DX170s are already hitting the BST here for only US$60 more than the V6....and it's a current production/shipping unit. Plenty of options in your budget that's ~6 months old in play that will see holiday sales soon.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #7 of 18
Future proofing is tough in the audio hype world.....however, FiiO is a company that's on top of software releases for a good while. The BTR7 is just released, should get FW updates for a good length of time.

The TempoTec v6 is a kickstarter project? Still not shipping? If you do go for it, please use a credit card (not debit/PayPal/etc) in case things go south. I know I'm sounding like Dad, but, well, the shoe fits(!), I am a Dad.

FWIW, DX170s are already hitting the BST here for only US$60 more than the V6....and it's a current production/shipping unit. Plenty of options in your budget that's ~6 months old in play that will see holiday sales soon.
About future proofing yeah.... it is probably tough.

TempoTec already shipped out their Kickstarter and they launched indegogo, so I'm not very worried ( but thanks for the concern, I do appreciate !!)
The only things that worry me are a very old Android and if I do need a separate device for music. Also the price

After a bit of thinking, I might consider getting BTR7 for now and get my first open backs (another research upcoming, currently looking at Grado SR60/80)

Oct 14, 2022 at 12:05 AM Post #8 of 18
About future proofing yeah.... it is probably tough.

TempoTec already shipped out their Kickstarter and they launched indegogo, so I'm not very worried ( but thanks for the concern, I do appreciate !!)
The only things that worry me are a very old Android and if I do need a separate device for music. Also the price

After a bit of thinking, I might consider getting BTR7 for now and get my first open backs (another research upcoming, currently looking at Grado SR60/80)
Grado is an excellent brand/sound. Great for music with dynamic enthusiasm (jazz/rock/etc). I had the SR80 at one point, a BST purchase, but eventually passed to a family member when I found the AKG701.

If you're second guessing the DAP idea....no harm in waiting/more research.

Oct 14, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #9 of 18
I'm just starting out with high quality audio gear and purchased Moondrop Aria Snow Edition (still shipping).
So the next step would be an audio source, so I'm looking to purchase DAP or a USB DAC or even a desktop DAC.
Currently I own:
My main question is: Is it worth to get an all around DAP (TempoTeck v6- Currently priced 380 CAD ~ 279 USD) that can be used as a USB DAC for PC
OR

I do listen to music 60% at home and 40% outside so I want a portable device, though the size/2nd device doesn't bother me.
Most of my music comes from Spotify (waiting on the Hi-Fi option) and home server (plex) with CD rips of the albums I own physically.

I'm happy to hear your opinion and suggestions and if you know any other thread with same question, please do let me know.

Thanks !

For best price-to-performance ratio, a dongle is generally more cost-effective compared to a DAP.

Even a $10 apple dongle has quite good sonic performance (maybe it isn't that great to drive demanding gear). Only issues about dongles is as you say, the battery drain, but you can bring portable charging packs around.

A really great DAP to consider though, is the Sony A55. The stock sound is meh, but Mr Walkman has kindly given a free customizable firmware to unlock and unleash its potential.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-walkman-custom-firmware-non-android.943661/
https://www.mrwalkman.com/

With the firmware mod, you can do lots of modifications, unlock volume caps and even bring 4 different sound signatures to the DAP. The battery life increases too to around 32 hours with the firmware mod, and it has better soundstage/technicalities with this, compared to the stock form. I bought my A55 first hand at $130 USD.

Oct 14, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #10 of 18
For best price-to-performance ratio, a dongle is generally more cost-effective compared to a DAP.

Even a $10 apple dongle has quite good sonic performance (maybe it isn't that great to drive demanding gear). Only issues about dongles is as you say, the battery drain, but you can bring portable charging packs around.

A really great DAP to consider though, is the Sony A55. The stock sound is meh, but Mr Walkman has kindly given a free customizable firmware to unlock and unleash its potential.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-walkman-custom-firmware-non-android.943661/
https://www.mrwalkman.com/

With the firmware mod, you can do lots of modifications, unlock volume caps and even bring 4 different sound signatures to the DAP. The battery life increases too to around 32 hours with the firmware mod, and it has better soundstage/technicalities with this, compared to the stock form. I bought my A55 first hand at $130 USD.
Thank you !

For the battery usage, it is also one of my concerns and arguments for DAP instead of DAC

I was looking in to Walkmans and was a bit against A55 as it doesn't have android (I know about battery issues on a105)
The other thing I have to look is in to the Japanese A55 as most of them are from Japan on Ebay and I'm not sure if with MrWalkman I can change the language (just haven't done the research yet)

I guess I just want too much from a device for as little money as possible.

Oct 14, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #11 of 18
Thank you !

For the battery usage, it is also one of my concerns and arguments for DAP instead of DAC

I was looking in to Walkmans and was a bit against A55 as it doesn't have android (I know about battery issues on a105)
The other thing I have to look is in to the Japanese A55 as most of them are from Japan on Ebay and I'm not sure if with MrWalkman I can change the language (just haven't done the research yet)

I guess I just want too much from a device for as little money as possible.

Not sure about Japanese A55, but my set has "made in malaysia" written on the housing.

I think you can ask the others in the A55 thread (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-walkman-custom-firmware-non-android.943661/) whether the Japanese A55's language can be switched.

Oct 14, 2022 at 1:34 AM Post #12 of 18
Not sure about Japanese A55, but my set has "made in malaysia" written on the housing.

I think you can ask the others in the A55 thread (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-walkman-custom-firmware-non-android.943661/) whether the Japanese A55's language can be switched.
Thank you for the link !

Well I will keep thinking. The price on used A55 looks good. Not sure now if I should get BTR7 or the A55 now

Choosing audio gear is even worse than when I started with photography

Oct 18, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #13 of 18
A quick update. Just received BTR7 in mail !
So 1st thing I was expecting it to be bigger as a lot of people were not happy with the size increase from BTR5. With my hand size, it is perfect !
In terms of audio quality... it is a bit hard for me to say as my main headphones for now are old B&O H6. For sure BTR7 has much more power than aux on my PC. Also I might be wrong, but it feels like there is more separation between instruments and vocal.

Just wanted to say thank everyone for your input !

Oct 18, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #14 of 18
Welcome again to your new addiction. Congrats, and enjoy the journey!

And...@baskingshark love that signature line. Hadn't crossed that particular wording before. Rings so true for one's journey towards audio nirvana.

Oct 19, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #15 of 18
Currently I own:
OR

Thanks !
A dap is more than enough for IEMs and TWS/bt headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back