Is burn in real?
Apr 3, 2012 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

csf101

Head-Fier
Just curious. I've had a lot of people tell me that it was real/myth.

Do you guys think that it's real? And if you think it's real, how do you burn in your headphones?

Edit: Jesus Christ, I now know that there's a search feature. I'm sorry for making this. -.-

Apr 3, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #4 of 26
Search, then read.  Then post.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/testing-audibility-break-effects

Apr 3, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 26
I sort of believe it. It might has more observable effects on some headphones than other. But I'm just too lazy to actually spend time burning mine in. Plus all the headphones I've bought sound decent enough out of box.

Apr 3, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #6 of 26
http://www.head-fi.org/t/599924/breaking-in-headphones-the-final-verdict#post_8275722

It really depends on the headphones. Some don't burn in at or, or burn in very little. The AKG k701 is known for its extreme amount of burn-in though. You can burn in by playing white noise at a reasonable volume, or music.

Apr 3, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #8 of 26
I believe it. Ordered a pair of $300 IEM's a few years ago. Plugged them in and listened. Sounded just awful. Immediately requested RMA from amazon. Let them burn in for 48 hours and they were COMPLETELY different. Canceled RMA. Still have them :)

Apr 3, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #9 of 26
I believe burn-in exists. I believe every dynamic driver can suffer burn-in. I don't know if this effect is audible, I've never had a headphone change its sound very noticeably, or at least I'm not so sure about these differences as to swear it happened and I didn't just get used to the sound. Also, a lot of the reports don't make sense. If it happens, it only goes one way. In some cases people say the "bass got tighter", in others that it "got boomier". Even in different headphones, this would mean that a same effect changed the physical characteristics of drivers in opposite ways.

Apr 3, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #10 of 26
This isn't an issue of a "belief" one way or the other. It's real, and it's been measured with different types of dynamic drivers several times.

Some people just can't possibly believe something that they can't wrap their minds around. There are people who don't believe we're on a sphere flying through space because we don't fly off of the planet as soon as we step out of our houses. They're not right, and their points are not valid because science proves them wrong. Just as gravity and our atmosphere can be observed and measured, burn-in can be observed and measured.

Stop posting the same stupid questions over and over that have been answered maybe even thousands of times on this site alone. There's a search function for a reason, and it should really be used.

There's not really a right/wrong way to burn-in your headphones, and I actually use mine right out of the box. They'll change over a few hours regardless of what you play through them.

Apr 3, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #12 of 26
I just posted the same thing so I'll quote what I posted.

I believe in subtle differences, and your ear getting used to the sound signature of the headphone's as well as your music being played ON that headphone. It's a combonation of all of those including using your headphone's with different devices that may cause such a large perception of change as burn in. 

Apr 3, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #13 of 26

Quote:
This isn't an issue of a "belief" one way or the other. It's real, and it's been measured with different types of dynamic drivers several times.

Thank you. There's this idea that a topic like this one can be debated like it's an opinion, and the side that has more supporters is valid. It's completely irrelevant what people think, the fact is that it happens.

Apr 3, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #14 of 26
Well, the experiment to check would be simple.

Frequency response curve before and after burn-in.

Shure has stated that they couldn't find that effect for their own headphones and iems.

What I suspect is responsible for the improvement in sound for new headphones is actually a form of the placebo effect. I don't mean to say that there is no change in sound quality. For the owners of the headphones, I believe that the perceived sound quality did improve, but most likely because they just got used to the characteristics of their headphones, rather than the actual headphones getting physically better.

Apr 3, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #15 of 26

Quote:

Some people just can't possibly believe something that they can't wrap their minds around. There are people who don't believe we're on a sphere flying through space because we don't fly off of the planet as soon as we step out of our houses. They're not right, and their points are not valid because science proves them wrong. Just as gravity and our atmosphere can be observed and measured, burn-in can be observed and measured.

Stop posting the same stupid questions over and over that have been answered maybe even thousands of times on this site alone. There's a search function for a reason, and it should really be used.

There's not really a right/wrong way to burn-in your headphones, and I actually use mine right out of the box. They'll change over a few hours regardless of what you play through them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back