Is audioengine a5 the best stereo computer speaker in the world?
Sep 26, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #61 of 96
About to order some Aktimate Minis for $450 from the manufacturer (although a $100 discount or so because the packaging was slightly damaged). Hopefully they're better than the A5's, since the price difference after shipping the A5's for me will be about $20 more for the Aktimate's!

Sep 26, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #62 of 96

Quote:
Okay, that could be a possible reason why you're experience was so bad - I'm not saying the A5's are better, but they do sound absolutely awful on a table top - I've got mine on DIY stands on my desk to stop the table becoming an extension of the speaker's bass. Makes a world of difference.

I want pictures of your DIY stands!! Haha. Because I lack both the tools and the materials to make any DIY stands, I went through thick and thins trying to find the best isolating feets for my speaker on my desk. Simple technique of placing blu-tack under the speakers alone made a hell of a difference so I can't imagine how much better my Aktimate would be given a proper speaker stand with decoupling feet. I am using Herbie Soft Dot right now.

I have not tried a stand before but commonly sighted negative feedbacks about the Aktimate is that it is very sensitive to positioning and that it needs a speaker stands to shine. This has been Aktimate's negative point more so than the A5 and since the Aktimate already sounds so good on a table top, I can only expect it to improve much more with a proper stand =)

@Arnotts - That is a very good price! If it sells at that price I will happily grab another one! It retails for USD700 here =(

Sep 28, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #64 of 96

Quote:

I want pictures of your DIY stands!! Haha. Because I lack both the tools and the materials to make any DIY stands, I went through thick and thins trying to find the best isolating feets for my speaker on my desk. Simple technique of placing blu-tack under the speakers alone made a hell of a difference so I can't imagine how much better my Aktimate would be given a proper speaker stand with decoupling feet. I am using Herbie Soft Dot right now.

I have not tried a stand before but commonly sighted negative feedbacks about the Aktimate is that it is very sensitive to positioning and that it needs a speaker stands to shine. This has been Aktimate's negative point more so than the A5 and since the Aktimate already sounds so good on a table top, I can only expect it to improve much more with a proper stand =)

@Arnotts - That is a very good price! If it sells at that price I will happily grab another one! It retails for USD700 here =(

I'll try to put up some photos of the stands soon, but for now I'll just describe them - They were stupidly easy to make and lucky for me almost for free. They're made of foam insulation for water plumbing! I found a few meters of the stuff just thrown out, so I picked it up cos it ain't cheap. I digress... so for each stand I cut twelve 15cm lengths and glued them together length-ways with hot glue in the form of a square based plinth. There is nothing particularly scientific going on here but I'll give you my reasoning.
1 - height - I wanted them much higher, so 15cm brought the tweeters to about chin level, which isn't the perfect ear level I wanted, but any higher and I think the stands would be too unstable. Also, if they were too short, I think the foam would be too rigid and allow too many vibrations to reach the table.
2 - material - My first idea was to cast 2 solid or hollow lumps of concrete 
biggrin.gif
 but because they wouldn't be sitting on the floor, all the bass would travel through and straight to the desk = awful bass sound. So this foam was actually lying around the house for a few months before I had the idea. Also they're feather weight, so portability isn't an issue. The nature of foam is to absorb shocks and vibrations so the only way to find out how good my idea was, was to just go ahead and make them.

After that I cut 2 shorter lengths to stabilize the square form and inserted them inside the arrangement. After my first tests showed massive bass improvement I painted them black to match my speakers.
Actually for about a year I've wanted to try filling these stands with sand to see if that tightens up the bass further, but I guess I've been busy with my others hobbies.

Sep 28, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #66 of 96
I used to own the A5's but I was really disappointed with them. I'm surprised at how much praise they get over here. It's what helped push me to buy them. I feel they lack in neutrality and detail. I tested them with songs I am very familiar with, and I just couldn't enjoy listening to music through them. I hoped burning in would help the bloated bass and add some detail but I would get so annoyed that I would turn them off and just listen to my headphones which sounded better and made me happy enough to ignore the mistake I made by buying them.

Sep 28, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #67 of 96

Quote:

Quote:
Audioengine attracts a lot of jaded audiophiles who won't admit their setups costing far more are bested by such low-price speakers. It's impossible to get an unbiased, negative opinion of Audioengine.

Disregard all criticisms.

Originally Posted by DaveBSC /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wrong.

x2

Sep 28, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #68 of 96

Quote:

try the auralex stands (mopads.) you can find them on amazon.

Sep 28, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #69 of 96

Quote:
I used to own the A5's but I was really disappointed with them. I'm surprised at how much praise they get over here. It's what helped push me to buy them. I feel they lack in neutrality and detail. I tested them with songs I am very familiar with, and I just couldn't enjoy listening to music through them. I hoped burning in would help the bloated bass and add some detail but I would get so annoyed that I would turn them off and just listen to my headphones which sounded better and made me happy enough to ignore the mistake I made by buying them.

They are only disappointing if you expect neutrality and detail.  I bought them expecting something that wouldn't butcher material on itunes or the occasional youtube video and movies/tv shows.  The bloated bass is largely mitigated by isolation pads and space between them and walls.  An attached sub that can do the lower register duty helps as well.

They are not nearly as good as some would have you believe but not nearly as bad as others will have you believe.

Sep 28, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #70 of 96

Quote:
I used to own the A5's but I was really disappointed with them. I'm surprised at how much praise theyhere.

+1. I sold mine after two weeks, very dissapointed. I prefer Logitech X-230, actually. It depends on the size of the room, but in my room it sounded like a cellphone.
Not to mention the ****ty volume.. I couldn't listen to some songs since the membrane was moving like insane before even reaching a normal SPL. I've then coupled it with Enery V8 woofer but it just got worse...

Sep 28, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #71 of 96

Quote:
Not even close - response to the title-
I mean my LCD-2's smoke them in every single way, only thing they can do that my LCD-2's cannot is shake my body.

Lol I auditioned the LCD-2 but I enjoy my speaker much more so LCD-2 is a no-buy for me.

Sep 28, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #72 of 96
I enjoy good speakers to but from my experience the a5's actually seemed to butcher alot of content... but I guess that is the the problem with getting speakers that double as a cheap woofer.

Sep 28, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #73 of 96

Quote:
I enjoy good speakers to but from my experience the a5's actually seemed to butcher alot of content... but I guess that is the the problem with getting speakers that double as a cheap woofer.

I wasn't using the A5. But to quality the statement:

With headphone you just need a headamp and a headphone and can forget about everything else and it will just sound as good wherever you are under whichever circumstances.

With speakers you gotta be careful of what you place it on, where you listen to as well as many other factors.

And yes, if you randomly dump the A5 at one side and let it play, chances are that it may sound a lot worse than most headphones out there.

Sep 29, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #75 of 96
Here's what I have.

Thought I would mention them for completeness since nobody else mentioned them.

Like this system a lot. It's networked together. The system interfaces thru USB to my PC for custom setups. The amps are digital. Multiple inputs. Sounds killer. Expensive though

I have the JBL LSR4328P's
and the JBL LSR4312 Sub.

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/General/ProductFamily.aspx?FId=7&MId=5

http://www.zzounds.com/item--JBLLSR4328P

http://www.zzounds.com/item--JBLLSR4312SP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atmUf3zrVqY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDfN8ZhH0hw

Users who are viewing this thread

Back