Is audioengine a5 the best stereo computer speaker in the world?
Oct 17, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #93 of 96

Quote:
I think the Audioengines are actually quite mediocre. The Swans easily beat em, as do nearfields around that price range. M-audio are closing out several of their previous gen monitors, and there are some great deals to be had - particularly the CX-5 at $280/pr. Just add a passive pre and you're set.

While I have not heard the CX5's from M-Audio myself I have read pro audio reviews that seem to point out that they sound quite incredable for thier price & have addressed most all the issues of the original BX5's that I now own which I modified. The CX5's at 280 dollars a pair is an absolute steal as they were originally $400 for a pair. Forget the passive pre as these are quite sensitive to capacitance in the cabling, The computers output would be much better as much of the life of the music would disappear with a passive pre unless you use extremely short runs of very low capacitance cabling. I have tried these configurations myself & that is how I know.

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #95 of 96

I experienced same. They seems to be designed to listen from at least 1.5 meters. I bought it for to use as desktop speaker. Bass and over quality gets improved as I pull back my chair away
from them. 
Quote:
The biggest problem with the A5's is that they're bookshelf style studio monitors that are being sold as near field desktop music boxes.

They're one seriously schizophrenic set of speakers, and that causes all sorts of problems, but mainly positioning.

I've owned these for nearly 2 years and have been playing around a lot with different positions, tables, distances, materials etc... 
The biggest complaint/problem seems to be the 'flabby bass' which drastically tightens up and actually becomes musical and enjoyable once positioned well.
This unfortunately depends on the room, the table and your position in relation to all those factors. I find that even after 'perfect' positioning, these speakers only sound really pleasing after I roll my chair back a meter - then everything falls into place.

Therefore I think that simply auditioning them in a shop where they've been put on some random shelf much too close to a wall or highly sound reflective surface or whatever doesn't put them in the place where they'll actually sound good/better.
This is of course a result of the rear-ported design.

So no...they're not the best in the world, but once placed well (if at all possible!) they should put a smile on your face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back