Is audioengine a5 the best stereo computer speaker in the world?
Sep 14, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #17 of 96

Quote:
you should also consider the all new mini maggie system if you're after the best available.

These are effin' amazing.  I heard them at CES a while back but never thought they would make it to market.   Bravo Magnapan!  They do need a *real* amp and are extremely revealing of any crappy upstream gear.  Oh, they are also as expensive as many good full sized speakers ($1,500.00 +/-) but nothing this small has ever sounded so good, including top tier monitors of the same height and width.  

Sep 14, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #18 of 96

Quote:
These are effin' amazing.  I heard them at CES a while back but never thought they would make it to market.   Bravo Magnapan!  They do need a *real* amp and are extremely revealing of any crappy upstream gear.  Oh, they are also as expensive as many good full sized speakers ($1,500.00 +/-) but nothing this small has ever sounded so good, including top tier monitors of the same height and width.  

Yeah they are what I am waiting on.  Could possibly replace the Mirage speakers I'm using for high end play back from my iMac-W4S DAC-2.   Now if only I could find a miniature ML CLS II, that would be heaven...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 14, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #19 of 96

Quote:
Yeah they are what I am waiting on.  Could possibly replace the Mirage speakers I'm using for high end play back from my iMac-W4S DAC-2.   Now if only I could find a miniature ML CLS II, that would be heaven...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Lucky you!  Be sure to post a review when you get them.  Miniature CLSII's would be a hoot.   The mini-Maggies even have a QR -- kind of like a pair of 3.7's left in the dryer too long.

Sep 14, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #21 of 96

Quote:

Lucky you!  Be sure to post a review when you get them.  Miniature CLSII's would be a hoot.   The mini-Maggies even have a QR -- kind of like a pair of 3.7's left in the dryer too long.

Well I haven't purchased them yet because I have to hear them first.   It's hard to imagine how they sound simply because I've always preferred the largest of Maggies over the smaller ones.   All reports are that they are the real deal even at their miniature size, but I'm too jaded and old now to believe reports when it comes to speakers.  But if I hear them and they have they planar magic they are in the door for sure.    Only questions I really have is how much interaction or not with a back wall they need. How far from them does one have to be in order to get the full response.  You know, all the planar setup necessities.   Depending on their need for power I could go tube amp or integrated amp for them.  Perhaps something that can also power my LCD's 

Sep 14, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #23 of 96

Quote:
Well I haven't purchased them yet because I have to hear them first.   It's hard to imagine how they sound simply because I've always preferred the largest of Maggies over the smaller ones.   All reports are that they are the real deal even at their miniature size, but I'm too jaded and old now to believe reports when it comes to speakers.  But if I hear them and they have they planar magic they are in the door for sure.    Only questions I really have is how much interaction or not with a back wall they need. How far from them does one have to be in order to get the full response.  You know, all the planar setup necessities.   Depending on their need for power I could go tube amp or integrated amp for them.  Perhaps something that can also power my LCD's 

I agree, definitely audition first.   Position wise, all non-hybrid panels are sensitive to positioning and that might be problematic in real-world applications with these little guys.  Tube integrated sounds like the right plan.  I think something along the line of a VTL IT 85 would be ideal -- EL34 goodness. You can pick an older model at a decent price, but they do not pop up all that frequently.  These also had a very nice headphone section -- not the usual afterthought.  The other thing that is cool about them is you can always add an ST-85 and run them as bridged monoblocks, using the IT85 as a power amp/pre-amp.  If I ever downsize, I am getting one.  

Sep 14, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #24 of 96

Quote:
In my opinion, the Adam A8x are the best computer speakers/ studio monitors I've heard. After this it's all diminishing returns if you ask me. Spend double to gain 5%. 

Wow, I had them in a treated room and they were fatiguing as hell. The KRK VXTs blew them away for EDM and rock. I liked the VXTs so much that we bought the Expose for the den (treated room). I truly found the Adam's grating when listening for more than a few minutes. That tweeter is harsh. I bought some used Barefoots too, but the Expose is equal IMO.

Sep 14, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #25 of 96
I have the A2 in my kitchen connected to a MBP and I love 'em.

Sep 14, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #26 of 96

Quote:
I agree, definitely audition first.   Position wise, all non-hybrid panels are sensitive to positioning and that might be problematic in real-world applications with these little guys.  Tube integrated sounds like the right plan.  I think something along the line of a VTL IT 85 would be ideal -- EL34 goodness. You can pick an older model at a decent price, but they do not pop up all that frequently.  These also had a very nice headphone section -- not the usual afterthought.  The other thing that is cool about them is you can always add an ST-85 and run them as bridged monoblocks, using the IT85 as a power amp/pre-amp.  If I ever downsize, I am getting one.  

Or maybe a Jolida 202 integrated.

Sep 14, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #27 of 96

Quote:
Or maybe a Jolida 202 integrated.

Another really good choice.  Let me know how it goes when you audition these.  I remember that Magnapan used some very beefy amps and also subs, so I never had a chance to listen to the mini's on their own.  They did not sound at all like small speakers in this setup. No idea what crossover points or slopes they used.  I recall that the sweet spot was very narrow both vertically and horizontally, but that is typical of even the bigger Maggies.  You could not just slap these on your desk and have at it -- they set up and behave like real, full size planars.  As a side note, I have always had the crazy idea of picking up a pair of SMG's (my very first planar) and suspending them from the ceiling -- don't ask why as I have no logical reason other than a way to get cool speakers in my office without using any floorspace.  The wife nixed this idea pretty quickly as she did my plan to buy a pair of Tympani's to use as subs for the CLS's -- she was OK with the idea until she saw them in person.  These were really minty 1C's with three panels per speaker.  I guess I really misjudged the ever important WAF on both ideas.
biggrin.gif
  Keep us posted on the mini's.

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #28 of 96
Something that really has me intrigued are the new Aon monitors from GoldenEar. I'm pretty sure they are passive only, but paired with a desktop Tripath amp like the Virtue Two.2, they could be formidable.

Sep 15, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #29 of 96

Quote:
Something that really has me intrigued are the new Aon monitors from GoldenEar. I'm pretty sure they are passive only, but paired with a desktop Tripath amp like the Virtue Two.2, they could be formidable.

Are those passive radiators on the side, or actual woofers.  Reminiscent of NHT's in that regard, but smushed.

Sep 15, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #30 of 96

Quote:

Are those passive radiators on the side, or actual woofers.  Reminiscent of NHT's in that regard, but smushed.

Passive radiators. GE is the new company by Sandy Gross of Def Tech. The speaker designs are VERY similar, the big change is the new AMT based tweeter that GE uses. Def Tech has long used passive radiators in their speakers rather than ports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back