Is audioengine a5 the best stereo computer speaker in the world?
Sep 15, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #31 of 96
Thanks.  I remember older Definitive Technology bi-poles as being pretty open sounding -- even their lower priced models.  These look like interesting speakers.  Price point?

Sep 15, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #33 of 96

Quote:
Thanks.  I remember older Definitive Technology bi-poles as being pretty open sounding -- even their lower priced models.  These look like interesting speakers.  Price point?

The smaller one (6" bass driver, 6.5" passives) is $800/pr, and the larger one (7" and 8" passives) is $1,000/pr.

Sep 15, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #34 of 96

Quote:
The smaller one (6" bass driver, 6.5" passives) is $800/pr, and the larger one (7" and 8" passives) is $1,000/pr.

Thanks Dave!

Sep 15, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #36 of 96
I think it is hard to beat the A-5s at their price.  I'm using a pair hooked up to a Squeezebox Touch which makes a great combo for a bedroom.  But yeah there is plenty of good gear out there and the A-5s are not the last word.  Just depends on what you want the speakers for and how much you are wiling to spend.

Sep 16, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #37 of 96
Audioengine attracts a lot of jaded audiophiles who won't admit their setups costing far more are bested by such low-price speakers. It's impossible to get an unbiased, negative opinion of Audioengine.

Disregard all criticisms.

Sep 16, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #38 of 96
As I pointed out before there are better speakers for less money the a5's are £260, the prodipe pro 5 at £200 or for £250 you can get them with ribbon tweeters and kevlar woofers, for £245 theres the mackie mr5's , for a passive set-up you can get a good amp for £100 and bookshelfs or floorstanders for £150. You don't need any expensive audiophile stuff.

Sep 16, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #39 of 96

Quote:
Audioengine attracts a lot of jaded audiophiles who won't admit their setups costing far more are bested by such low-price speakers. It's impossible to get an unbiased, negative opinion of Audioengine.

Disregard all criticisms.

Wrong. I'm not "jealous" of Audioengine. Their products are average for their price class, usually purchased by people who didn't do enough research, or aren't aware of better performing but lesser known products like the Swan M200. Audioengine may be the default choice, but they are by no means the best at anything.

Sep 16, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #40 of 96
I haven't heard them, but they basically seem to be aesthetically pleasing monitors, and the price bracket for them is similar to a lot of other low-end monitors that are less shiny looking.

Sep 16, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #41 of 96

Quote:
Wrong. I'm not "jealous" of Audioengine. Their products are average for their price class, usually purchased by people who didn't do enough research, or aren't aware of better performing but lesser known products like the Swan M200. Audioengine may be the default choice, but they are by no means the best at anything.

This is pretty silly.  You have no idea what kind of research the buyers of A-5s did.  But if this sort of post makes you happy, go for it. 

Sep 16, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #42 of 96

Quote:
This is pretty silly.  You have no idea what kind of research the buyers of A-5s did.  But if this sort of post makes you happy, go for it. 

The idea that "jaded" audiophiles like to criticize Audioengine because we just can't deal with their zomg awesomeness is silly. I'm being honest. Audioengine makes an average product. I think there are better products out there for the same or less, but you'll have to look a bit harder. That's it.

Sep 16, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #43 of 96
Audioengine-owners are routinely persecuted for their beliefs on the internet. Free speech extremists have defended these attacks as protected by various national constitutions. I argue, legislate not for the allowance of incivility, but for the promotion of human dignity and compassion. Thank you.

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #44 of 96

Users who are viewing this thread

Back