Is anyone else sick of Antares Autotune?
Aug 31, 2009 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Ducks_own

100+ Head-Fier
Antares Auto-Tune Evo Pitch Correcting Plug-In

has anyone else had enough of this pitch-correcting software? I mean I'm sure when it came out people probably really liked the effect, but now it's seriously and (T-)painfully overused.

Aug 31, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #2 of 25
Less is more with Autotune IMO. The way T-Pain used it was at first really cool, but now it's really played out.

I'm all for artists using it to correct their voices in real time during a concert though.

Aug 31, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by cdailey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm all for artists using it to correct their voices in real time during a concert though.

I'd rather hear T-Pain, although it is quite played out. There were probably a dozen girls at my high school who could stand on stage and sing a nice song. If it's 20 cents flat, how many people would even notice? Sometime you might even make it 20 cents flat on purpose! I think it is despicable that people who will call themselves professional singers do not have the stage presence to go out and sing without crutches. Although, I'd much rather they use Autotune than quietly sing along while a prerecorded version of their vocal pumps through the PA!

With T-Pain there is no pretense. You know he's just messing around with gear and trying to be cool, like Clapton with a wah pedal or whatever comparison you'd like to make. The coolness lasted about one song for me, and it would help if not every single song was about going to a strip club and making it rain, but yeah.

Sep 1, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rempert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd rather hear T-Pain, although it is quite played out. There were probably a dozen girls at my high school who could stand on stage and sing a nice song. If it's 20 cents flat, how many people would even notice? Sometime you might even make it 20 cents flat on purpose! I think it is despicable that people who will call themselves professional singers do not have the stage presence to go out and sing without crutches. Although, I'd much rather they use Autotune than quietly sing along while a prerecorded version of their vocal pumps through the PA!

With T-Pain there is no pretense. You know he's just messing around with gear and trying to be cool, like Clapton with a wah pedal or whatever comparison you'd like to make. The coolness lasted about one song for me, and it would help if not every single song was about going to a strip club and making it rain, but yeah.

Don't get me wrong, I would much rather have a performer try their best live, but we all know they have some off days. If a singer is doing 95% on stage, I am perfectly alright with them making up that last 5% with Autotune, not them half assing it and letting Autotune do all the hard work. I do agree though that "quietly singing to a prerecorded track" ala Britney Spears is even worse than Autotune.

Sep 1, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #6 of 25
I listen to my local classic rock stations, so it's not an issue.

Sep 1, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #7 of 25
I don't listen to the radio, to much crap. But I think when used sparingly auto tone can really help a vocalist shine.

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by cdailey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do agree though that "quietly singing to a prerecorded track" ala Britney Spears is even worse than Autotune.

Lip syncing to an autotuned vocal track.
tongue_smile.gif

That's pop music.

Sep 1, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #10 of 25
SiriuslyCold, that is a truly epic use of Autotune.

Sep 1, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducks_own /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SiriuslyCold, that is a truly epic use of Autotune.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Autotune the Newwws!!
biggrin.gif

To be a stickler, that is actually a vocoder, not autotune. Autotune rounds to the nearest half step, vocoder mate a a pitch to a carrier frequency (in this case, the news). #6 is awesome, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rempert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The coolness lasted about one song for me, and it would help if not every single song was about going to a strip club and making it rain, but yeah.

Shoot, son, Lil Wayne makes it rain, not T-Pain. To hear Wayne sing without autotune is to love the Antares corporation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back