Is anyone building the KGSSHV?
May 19, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #182 of 499
Quote:
Noise at full volume is usually fixed with 100 ohms in series with the wiper of the volume control.
To maintain full signal to noise, the volume control is usually a good idea. Then you turn up to
full blast the dac, and adjust the volume control for just past your maximum listening level.

a detail but noise from the 400 Ohms of source degen/feedback R is larger

and while many source may still work best with analog volume control the picture is changing

several DACs with >120 dB dynamic range are available now - for some of these it no longer makes any difference as long as 24 bit PCM is driving the DAC - and even Windows can now be set for 24 bit output even with 16 bit source: the digital volume control math quantization at 24 bits output is way below any electronics noise floor

and headphone listening doesn't reach the 0 dB SPL anechoic chamber threshold due to mechanical motion "microphonics"

since ES headphones can't reach 120 SPL, hearing noise floor with headphones on is ~ 10 dB SPL then we really don't even "need" 120 dB dynamic range with good system gain structure

May 19, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #186 of 499
Very nice indeed. 

I was doing some inventory and I found 3 KGSSHV transformers so I guess I'll have to get cracking on some more amps. 
redface.gif
  First we need to finish these two new volksamp projects though... 

Quote:
ignore list expanded

Been on mine for years but this was too stupid to ignore. 

May 19, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #187 of 499
Nice amp indeed, definitely like the back panel

Hopefully production Teflon stax jacks soon

Quote:
a detail but noise from the 400 Ohms of source degen/feedback R is larger

I was referring to the noise some dac's make when they drive the input capacitance of the jfet directly
with no series resistance. Reading HDman's comments now, i think he was talking about something else.

May 20, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #189 of 499
Thanks for your kind words, everyone!  There actually will be a "KGSSHV" on the front, it is on the faceplate of the power supply (same size box).  However, just like the amp, the PSU front panel will be covered with black enamel and a matte clearcoat (just primed it tonight, actually) - thus the engraved "KGSSHV" will appear as a textured relief, but will not be a different color. 

It'll look even better once I get my wife to use her camera + photography skills, instead of my point-and-shoot technique with my cell phone

May 20, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #190 of 499
Quote:
Thanks for your kind words, everyone!  There actually will be a "KGSSHV" on the front, it is on the faceplate of the power supply (same size box).  However, just like the amp, the PSU front panel will be covered with black enamel and a matte clearcoat (just primed it tonight, actually) - thus the engraved "KGSSHV" will appear as a textured relief, but will not be a different color. 

It'll look even better once I get my wife to use her camera + photography skills, instead of my point-and-shoot technique with my cell phone

Is this an onboard or offboard build? Pics of the insides too please
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back