Is anyone building the KGSSHV?
May 21, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #198 of 499
Quote:

lol ty - sorry I don't have much else to show right now, as far as the power supply goes.  I did go out of my way to make the thing safer by using a female dc power connector on the PSU, and a male one on the amplifier

May 22, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #202 of 499
If you can hold on to the heatsinks for more than 5 seconds, its NOT too hot.
temperature meters including the infrared ones work fine.
Krell class hot is still ok.

May 22, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #203 of 499
Quote:

Does this also apply to other dynamic amps? I can't touch my b22's heatsinks for more than 5 seconds these days, and the summer hasn't come yet...

May 22, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #204 of 499
MOSFETs maximum junction temperature is 175°C. Under 100°C junction temperature is recommended.
Personally 60°C is my max limit, anything over that and I’ll start to consider alternatives.
You have to consider all the components in the frying pan.

May 22, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #205 of 499
With high ambient temp then the first things to go would be the electrolytic caps, especially the ones rated at only 85°C.  

I just measured my KGSSHV which is in a pretty cramped chassis and the highest reading I got was 47°C.  This is with an IR thermometer measuring the output heatsinks so the ambient temp is much lower. 

May 23, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #206 of 499
My KGSShv runs about 85C on hot days at the hottest heat sinks (at the amps) where the temperature outside is about 34C to 35C. On cooler days the temperature drops. Do you guys think mine is running too hot? The PSU runs way cooler.

I like the sun and I think it is nice. Equator benefits. But I am not sure if my KGSShv would agree with me.

May 23, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #207 of 499
Quote:

Thanks, i'll try holding the heatsink trick.

Quote:
With high ambient temp then the first things to go would be the electrolytic caps, especially the ones rated at only 85°C.  

I just measured my KGSSHV which is in a pretty cramped chassis and the highest reading I got was 47°C.  This is with an IR thermometer measuring the output heatsinks so the ambient temp is much lower. 

Yeh an IR thermometer would be good, the output heatsinks are the transistors next to the 180 ohm resistors right?

What I thought previously about there being noise in the headphones at full volume (with no sound obviously), reason being that that the source was not turned on. When the source is turned on the noise goes away. Sounds much cleaner and more dynamic with the KGSSHV at full volume and the source turned down. Could it be a ground issue that i hear noise when there is no source plugged in? Offset also has moved quite a bit since i last measured it.

Anybody else experience buzzing noise in there SumR transformer? It is quite loud.

May 23, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #208 of 499
My KGSShv is dead quiet when the volume is full and the source is not plugged it.

I think reduction in the souce output voulme means that the output voltage fed to the KGSShv is reduced. If I am correct you should  get quieter sound as some high frequency has been trimmed off. Some people like it though. so, its a matter of preference. 

I think many things can cause the transformer buzzing, from parts to dc satuaration in the ac input lines. I too have that buzzing problem with my transformer. It is caused by the vibration of parts within the transformer. I have tried all practical methods to get rid of it but its still there. You may want to check with sumR.

May 23, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #209 of 499
Have you tried using a thermistor in series on the primary of the transformer to tackle inrush?
An underrated ssr can cause transformer buzz, I had to exchange a 25A for a 40A unit on my particular build for this very reason.
http://relays.te.com/appnotes/app_pdfs/13c3206.pdf

May 23, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #210 of 499
Quote:
Have you tried using a thermistor in series on the primary of the transformer to tackle inrush?
An underrated ssr can cause transformer buzz, I had to exchange a 25A for a 40A unit on my particular build for this very reason.
http://relays.te.com/appnotes/app_pdfs/13c3206.pdf

Thanks John, I do have a thermistor from the BOM that I ordered, what is the best or correct way to mount it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back