Is anyone building the KGSSHV?
Apr 27, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #137 of 499

Quote:
Well hopefully that was a lesson learned. When multiple people tell you something is a bad idea, it's important to keep in mind that they may be right.

I know, but I am a stubborn bugger, I gave it a good shot. Got the power supply working but the channel boards just didn't get right. I will take it to the repair shop, if they can't fix it I will sell off parts and live with the SRM-727. I could keep going with it, but I just don't have the spare time.

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #138 of 499

I only ask because I'm curious, but what happened to the tech guy that was going to do the power-up and testing? Did the deal fall through?
So that any of you feel safer helping me, I will tell you that I do not plan on powering it up and testing it myself, I will have a tech guy do the final stages for me and get it running, I simply want to populate the PCB's, make the case and fit the parts accordingly.

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #139 of 499

Quote:

I only ask because I'm curious, but what happened to the tech guy that was going to do the power-up and testing? Did the deal fall through?

He took a good look at it, but he wasn't confident enough in the end. He showed me how to hook up the transformer/power entry/fuse. I think I am going to quit while I am ahead, I have a repair shop that I will try, after that the parts are up for grabs. Prefer those interested from Australia. I will probably have:

Working Power Supply (500v)
Transformer (500v version) (AC input 240v and 100v optional)
Khozmo Quad Attenuator
Case with stax entry, power switch, xlr inputs and power entry module.
2 x channel boards (not entirely functional)
A few spare transistors and resistors.

The channel boards may be a simple fix for someone that is in the know.

Also have for sale: 2 x KGSSHV (off board heatsink) PCB boards rev0.4 and 2 x KGSSHV Power boards rev.0.6

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #140 of 499
Well at least you have the guts to own up that you were out of your depth, that is admirable 
tongue.gif

I sent you a pm.

Apr 28, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #142 of 499
At least, you did not kill yourself, that is admirable!

Apr 28, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #144 of 499
We all know a person that did a diy T2 as his first project ever.
And got it to work. And it still works.

This is not something you can slap together in a couple of hours.

Apr 28, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #145 of 499

Quote:
I know, but I am a stubborn bugger, I gave it a good shot. Got the power supply working but the channel boards just didn't get right. I will take it to the repair shop, if they can't fix it I will sell off parts and live with the SRM-727. I could keep going with it, but I just don't have the spare time.

I'm not going to gloat....... but I am going to berate you for giving up so damn quickly. Suck it up princess, and go through some proper troubleshooting! 
mad.gif

Apr 28, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #146 of 499

Quote:

I'm not going to gloat....... but I am going to berate you for giving up so damn quickly. Suck it up princess, and go through some proper troubleshooting! 
mad.gif

Yup, you only can give up when you've swapped out all the parts that could be acting up and it still doesn't work. Then you just stuff a spare PCB to get the bloody thing working.  

May 13, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #147 of 499
Quote:

Yup, you only can give up when you've swapped out all the parts that could be acting up and it still doesn't work. Then you just stuff a spare PCB to get the bloody thing working.  

Thanks Spritzer, kick in the butt was what I needed (what a cry baby, lol)
frown.gif

Anyways, so I took the amp to a guy and he soldered the heatsinks properly, my crappy little soldering iron wasn't cutting it, couldn't get a high enough heat.. Now I have one working front channel board and the other one, the .47/50v capacitors both of them are black roasted crispy charcoal
eek.gif
. I tested the other ones in that batch, they are defective.

May 13, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #148 of 499
Did you use tantalum caps?  Some of them are directional so yeah, that will not end well.  Also stay far away from cheap caps on ebay. 

I used 1uf/50V Wima MKS caps in my amps because I had them and they fit perfectly.  These caps are just for local PSU filtering so pretty much anything works. 

May 13, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #149 of 499
Quote:
Did you use tantalum caps?  Some of them are directional so yeah, that will not end well.  Also stay far away from cheap caps on ebay. 

I used 1uf/50V Wima MKS caps in my amps because I had them and they fit perfectly.  These caps are just for local PSU filtering so pretty much anything works. 

I used the .47uf/50v caps from the BOM.  http://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kemet/C330C474M5R5CA/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMukHu%252bjC5l7YXvEg12wCzMcHJBU5xTZz50%3D

4 out of 5 are defective, go figure hey?

When you say anything works, do you mean any caps that are 50v? Please explain further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back