Is anybody here addicted to caffeine??
Feb 5, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #16 of 46
I have a mild addiction but it's a pleasant one. So yes i am happliy addicted. On the weekends or on vacation, I usually don't drink coffee since I relate coffee to a work related liquid. However, on my trip to Europe, I drank coffee a lot since they have very good quality coffee and I really like those small cups they serve.

Feb 5, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #17 of 46
When I was young, they wondered why I couldn't sit still in school.... Fast forward to being diagnosed with ADHD and several doctors trying to keep me on Ritalin and anything related. I don't like taking drugs (well there is that period in High School where it was rumored I rolled my own cigarettes), so I switched to caffeine. Works pretty good for me. I can drink a triple espresso and fall asleep. Doesn't wire me like normal people, actually mellows me out. I'm not advocating caffeine abuse for the general masses, but for people like me, it's been a great alternative medicine. The doctor admitted it was probably better than taking prescription drugs. When I go without it for several days I don't get withdrawals, just back to 'normal' ADHD. For those of you who don't know what ADD is like, imagine life is like watching television and someone else keeps changing the channel.

So yeah, I really like caffeine. Started on Coke, but switched to coffee to avoid all that sugar. Actually, I have a Coke like a normal person would drink a beer. If they made Pellegrino with caffeine I bet I would drink it.

Some of us are sicker than others =^)

Feb 5, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #18 of 46
Mild addiction I would say.
Meaning I consume 4-5 cups of coffee or tea in the weekdays (at work), and 0.5-1 liter of Coca Cola in the weekend. Manage very well without it for days though, if needed.

Feb 5, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #19 of 46
I was hugely addicted to caffeine (soda without caffeine never made sense to me), and I was always fighting bouts of dizziness related to caffeine intake. Stopped it straight for about a year. Sleep was better, was consistently clear headed and much more relaxed. Glad to hear it's not taboo to talk about caffeine having such altering effects anymore.

I'm back on a cup of tea or a can of soda a day, I hope I don't get pulled back into 8-12 caffeinated drinks a day. My worst days were high school when I started out first thing in the morning with a can of soda promptly followed by a quad-shot espresso drink from starbucks. Then I held the caffeine intake consistent all day long.

Feb 6, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #20 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny that this thread should pop up now, considering I quit drinking coffee around 4 or 5 days ago.

No kidding, I guess this is a common battle. My new year's rez was to quit caffeine, and it has been tough. I slipped twice last month. The mid-afternoon crash was my main reason. It has helped there, but man morning is still tough. To wake up, can feel like an eternity without the customary jolt.

I must say, this thread has really made me crave a cup of joe!
frown.gif
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #21 of 46
Don't have no desire for coffee, but if I don't have some sort of caffeine a couple of hours after I awake I get a bad headache. So yes I must be addicted!!!!

Feb 6, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Uthadude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I was young, they wondered why I couldn't sit still in school.... Fast forward to being diagnosed with ADHD and several doctors trying to keep me on Ritalin and anything related. I don't like taking drugs (well there is that period in High School where it was rumored I rolled my own cigarettes), so I switched to caffeine. Works pretty good for me. I can drink a triple espresso and fall asleep. Doesn't wire me like normal people, actually mellows me out. I'm not advocating caffeine abuse for the general masses, but for people like me, it's been a great alternative medicine. The doctor admitted it was probably better than taking prescription drugs. When I go without it for several days I don't get withdrawals, just back to 'normal' ADHD. For those of you who don't know what ADD is like, imagine life is like watching television and someone else keeps changing the channel.

So yeah, I really like caffeine. Started on Coke, but switched to coffee to avoid all that sugar. Actually, I have a Coke like a normal person would drink a beer. If they made Pellegrino with caffeine I bet I would drink it.

Some of us are sicker than others =^)

I've never heard that analogy before, but it makes me more able to understand your frustration.

I guess this also explains your signature.

Feb 6, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #24 of 46
I have been a heavy coffee and tea drinker for almost 20 years, but it really isn't about caffeine anymore. I remember drinking about 10~12 cups of coffee in one single day (I was traveling and I am a coffer lover) and I still slept very well that night. Now some of you might think I am addicted to caffeine, but I can also get cold turkey for a few days just as easy without any withdrawal (sometime the whole week). I think the habit of being a heavy coffer and tea drinker for so long has somehow shut off the caffeine receptor in my brain.

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #25 of 46
I wish I had started drinking coffee earlier in college, my grades might have been better...it really helps me, personally, makes my brain just think on another level entirely. I either drink a travel mug size of caffeine in the morning, which has more than enough caffeine to last me through the day the way I make it, or I have 2-4 sodas during the day. If I skip a day, no headaches, no issues, but I will feel tired.

Feb 7, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #27 of 46
Nothing beats a coffee and a cigarette in the backyard while naked on a warm summer morning.

I've had some health issues arise these past couple of years and had to give up coffee and caffeine in general. I quit cold turkey, but it was tough for the following week or so having to wake yourself up the old fashioned way (car battery hooked to the nipples and squirting grapfruit juice in your eyes), but I got over it although I still want a coffee every morning to this day.

Hell, it's 2AM and I could use a good cup o' Timmy's.

Feb 7, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #30 of 46
I am too addicted to caffeine for my health I think, I can only get through a day by continuous cups of oily tar strength black coffee *twitches* of course with continual hand rolled cigarettes *twitches* but *twitches* I'm fine *twitches* it doesn't affect me at all *spasms*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back