Is an Ipod LOD cable SUBSTANTIALLY better than a mini to mini cable?
Sep 23, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #16 of 22

Quote:

My problem is I already dropped $400 on the JH5 Pro's and I don't want to drop another $250+ on a portable amp unless I know using an LOD cable is a SUBSTANTIAL sound quality improvement over a mini to mini cable.

[size=x-small]I did a blind study with my wife to see if a portable amp (ibasso D2) improved the the SQ over a direct headphone out of an 3rd gen Ipod Touch (with JH5 Pro's IEM's).[/size]

[size=x-small]Using a mini to mini cable from the headphone out we found a degragation in SQ while using the amp. In other words the Itouch sounded better WITHOUT THE AMP (only slightly). I'm under the impression the headphone out is a garbage source signal.[/size]

How did you volume match the two?

Sep 23, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #18 of 22

Quote:
Quote:

What answer would you expect to this question?

Nothing in particular, I just wondered if the OP volume matched or not since the comparison wouldn't be valid if it wasn't done. I put the earpieces' sound bores against an SPL meter when I wanna volume match and if the OP got a better method of level matching, I wanna know about it so I can put it to use.

Sep 23, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #19 of 22
The differences between a mini/mini and an lod are voluminous!  I just did a blind a/b test using mini/mini and SendStation lod on my iPad.  It was such a definitive difference that I can only say get the lod without question.  I agree that a bit of fiscal restraint is warranted.  If you can a/b a high dollar version later, that's great.  Creating a straight signal path is going to give you unquestionable benefits that your ears will hear.

Sep 24, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #20 of 22
I personally had a very weird experience with lod's.  When I used a 3.5mm double male headed interconnect to connect my itouch to an amp (fiio e5), I had the amp at about 3/4 max volume for a normal listening volume.  When I used a LOD, I was using like 1/8th max volume on the amp.  The amp also affected the sound a great deal more when I was using the LOD.  With a double 3.5mm interconnect, the bass boost gave the lower end a tiny bit more impact.  With the LOD it was roaring and also very distorted...
so in a nutshell, yes, I'd say using a lod is a huge difference

Sep 24, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #21 of 22

Quote:
I personally had a very weird experience with lod's.  When I used a 3.5mm double male headed interconnect to connect my itouch to an amp (fiio e5), I had the amp at about 3/4 max volume for a normal listening volume.  When I used a LOD, I was using like 1/8th max volume on the amp.  The amp also affected the sound a great deal more when I was using the LOD.  With a double 3.5mm interconnect, the bass boost gave the lower end a tiny bit more impact.  With the LOD it was roaring and also very distorted...
so in a nutshell, yes, I'd say using a lod is a huge difference

The LOD doesn't bypass the amplifier of the iPod, contrary to popular belief, it bypasses the attenuation, so a high line level signal passes to the amp, resulting in the loudness. The Fiio is most likely the culprit in this problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back