Is 16 ohm too low for mp3 players, laptops, PSPs etc to drive? Hifiman RE-ZERO vs RE-0
Sep 26, 2010 at 8:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

daedalus2010

New Head-Fier
im either going to get a RE-ZERO (16ohm) or RE-0 (64ohm). I have read reviews and there isnt much sound quality difference, and the cost difference doesn't bother me

what i would like though is something that is portable and wont need or benefit much from an amplifier. 16 ohm should be easier to drive in theory, but at such low impedances will it draw so much current from generic consumer devices (eg PSP or Ipods) that it causes clipping? alternatively is 64 ohm too high an impedance without an amplifier?

from reviews it seems like the RE-ZERO sounds very similar with and without an amplifier, whislt the RE-0 benefits from an amplifier

Sep 26, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #2 of 5
Having owned both, I can definitely confirm that the RE-ZEROs function just fine out of an iPod and most certainly sound much better unamped than the RE0s.  All in all, it's not a huge difference, but I do think the RE-ZEROs are just the better phone too.  Especially in the LF extension department.

Sep 26, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #4 of 5
Most earphones are somewhere between 16 and 32ohm so it's not an issue. I didn't have problems with the RE0 unamped when I had them paired with my Cowon D2+ when I owned them.

Sep 27, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #5 of 5
Because the RE-ZEROs drive easier i can hear the background hiss from my walkman.
This background hiss is not noticable when the music is playing (not to my ears anyway)
On the RE0 it was unnoticable, but with the  ZEROs when there is no music the hiss is noticable.
On the Sansa Clip+ I have no issues as it has virtually no background hiss compared to the Walkman.
My preference is the still RE-ZERO over the RE0
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back