Ipod with EQ experiencing distortion
Aug 20, 2010 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

DongDong

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

A few weeks ago I bought a pair of Tiplefi 10 vi and I've been pretty pleased with them, but a few days ago I was trying out the different EQ's on my Ipod Classic 160G (2009) and noticed distortion with a few EQ's. I was very annoyed with this as the music I was playing was Lossless. 
Anyone know what is causing this problem? Is it the triplefi's or is it the music files? I would hate to stop using EQ cos I love Treble booster so if anyone knows a solution plz help me out.

Thanks!

Aug 20, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #5 of 29
This is par for the course with the Ipods.  I'm pretty sure the Ipods are reaching an internal bit width limit.  What's a bit width limit?  When you provide a boost using their EQ, the mathematical value often exceeds the value that can be represented by the bit length of the data which the Apple CPU handles.  For example, a 16 bit binary integer maximum value can only be 65536.  If you try to go higher than this, the binary number wraps around to 0. 

With the Ipod, when the number goes above 65536, you get clipping--the value stays at 65536 until the value drops back down below 65536.

You'll get more clipping on bass frequencies since these are recorded at much higher levels than the high frequencies.

Aug 20, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #6 of 29
Thanks for the info guys! I'm relieved that its not the earphone's problem, though now I feel a little dissapointed with my ipod...
frown.gif

Aug 21, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #8 of 29

Quote:
This is par for the course with the Ipods.  I'm pretty sure the Ipods are reaching an internal bit width limit.  What's a bit width limit?  When you provide a boost using their EQ, the mathematical value often exceeds the value that can be represented by the bit length of the data which the Apple CPU handles.  For example, a 16 bit binary integer maximum value can only be 65536.  If you try to go higher than this, the binary number wraps around to 0. 

With the Ipod, when the number goes above 65536, you get clipping--the value stays at 65536 until the value drops back down below 65536.

You'll get more clipping on bass frequencies since these are recorded at much higher levels than the high frequencies.

So if I turn on treble reducer, and turn up the volume, then it's like boosting the bass?

Aug 21, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #9 of 29
Maybe you can set a custom EQ in iTunes such that the loudest frequency never exceeds +0, so you would need to reduce every frequency by the amount you would like to add or maybe just use the preamp in the negative range.  Then assign this custom EQ to every song.  I've never tried it so I don't know if it will work but it makes sense to me at the moment.

Aug 21, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #11 of 29
I don't think you can apply custom EQs to the actual iPod, only iTunes.

I agree with Bennyboy, but there are not many options out there for 60 GB of music

Aug 21, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #12 of 29

Quote:

So if I turn on treble reducer, and turn up the volume, then it's like boosting the bass?

That's right.

Aug 21, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #13 of 29
Nobody needs to carry 60gb of music around with them.

Quote:
I don't think you can apply custom EQs to the actual iPod, only iTunes.

I agree with Bennyboy, but there are not many options out there for 60 GB of music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back