Ipod with EQ experiencing distortion
Aug 21, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #16 of 29
I have had similar problems using borrowed iPods... They typically distort when using the EQ. If you want to use an EQ, get something from Cowon, Samsung, Sony, or Sansa, as they all have custom EQ settings, and strong enough DAC's not to hear clipping (I like to call it rice krispies!).  Agreeing with BennyBoy, I might add that Cowon produces some of the nicest sounding digital audio players, and their BBE+ EQ effects are second to none.

Aug 22, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #17 of 29
I still cannot get how such a huge company like Apple did not manage to correct one of the biggest issues with their almighty ipood, i.e. the crappy equalizer. I mean, I'm ok with no custom eq (actually, I'm not, but I understand some people would feel lost with too many settings), but the clipping problem is simply not acceptable (any more) ! Come on, Apple issued so many ipoos since the original model, and the problem IS STILL THERE! They are completely making fun out of their customers.
I think Apple uses no more than 5% of their benefits for technical R&D, about 30% for the development of the design and the rest for the advertisement campaigns. Rough guess
biggrin.gif

Aug 22, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #18 of 29
Most people don't care or aren't using anything that will be able to distinguish the distortion or at least I don't think stock buds would be able to show it.

Aug 23, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #20 of 29
Never had an issue with my ipods. I would try different headphones with the ipod just to confirm what is at fault.

Aug 23, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #22 of 29
I must have been lucky then. My ipod have primarily been used with Senn mx500 and PX200 and Goldring NS1000, though most of my other headphones have had a shot too. I find with 'better' headphones the sound is bets with eq turned off, otherwise I mainly use Jazz.

Aug 23, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #24 of 29
^Try the bass boost setting with a large headphone... it doesn't really add bass, just some snap crackle and poop pop!

Aug 23, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #25 of 29
has anyone tried "mp3 gain" or "aacgain" to reduce cliipping and overall volume before loading the songs on the iPod.
Does the EQ still distort ?

Aug 24, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #26 of 29
Indeed, some may have had "luck" with no distortion on ipods  (even using the Eq). That is due to the fact that your music library is not recorded on the limit of clipping (there still is some headroom before clipping).
However, most of modern music is recorded on the verge of clipping, and adding the tiniest bit of boost to about any frequency results in clipping.

edit: @Paulypaul: yes, that should work.

Aug 24, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #27 of 29

Quote:
However, most of modern music is recorded on the verge of clipping, and adding the tiniest bit of boost to about any frequency results in clipping.

I agree most mp3s are recorded at such a high level these days (its like their competing to see how loud they can record them) that clipping is fairly common.
I apply mp3gain to all my mp3s and aac files before loading them onto my walkman.
In most cases the program has to reduce the volume by 6db to stop clipping.

Aug 24, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #28 of 29

Quote:
has anyone tried "mp3 gain" or "aacgain" to reduce cliipping and overall volume before loading the songs on the iPod.
Does the EQ still distort ?

I do not own an iPod, however I use MP3 gain for the music on my 7 DAP:s (yes, you read correctly. And I use them all...). I usually do "album gain" and put the volume level between 89-91db. This has two advantages: 1. No clipping what so ever. 2. I can skip between different artists and albums and never risk going deaf when going from an older song to a new "loudness war" song. If I want it louder, I raise the volume on the DAP.

Going through all music takes time, but it is worth it. The process is reversible, so if your music on your iPod distorts with EQ, you should try it out.

Aug 24, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #29 of 29
It no longer clips on the iPhone/iPod touch, they've adjusted the precut for the EQ settings. Guess they haven't fixed this on the Classic though. Still really annoying that you can't fully customize it yourself a la Rockbox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back