iPod Touch vs. Zune
Aug 18, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #17 of 52
tricky wombat that is a perfect analogy!

The swiss army knife can do everything but not perfectly.

The army knife is design for one purpose and fulfils it perfectly.

Aug 20, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #18 of 52
I've received the Touch yesterday!
What can i say, i like it soooo much! :)
SQ?
Reading certain reviews i had convinced myself that the sound quality was quite poor...
Pof!, in my opinion the SQ of the Touch is more than satisfactory and is really very good using Apple Lossless.
I think that the Touch sound different but not worse than Zune. :wink:
My 2 cents...

Aug 20, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #19 of 52
With all the extra features and apps I think the Touch is da' SHIZZLE!!!

Aug 20, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #20 of 52
The iPod's sound is indeed better than it's reputation. What it lacks is the ability to tailor the sound to your taste as well as the Zune and Sony players.

If it sounds good (enough) to you, that's all that matters. The extra features are a real plus. I have an iRiver IHP-120, but use the iPod Touch more - the ability to watch podcasts, YouTube videos, listen to Internet radio, read RSS/News, play games, boy, the list goes on and on.

For critical listening, I still revert to the iRiver -> optical out -> iBasso D1, but this isn't really portable anymore.

Aug 20, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #21 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by hatethatgiraffe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cant comment as only have the touch as microsoft are so confident in the abilities of the zune that they want only the Americans to enjoy it's obvious superiority over everything apple and keep the rest of the world guessing!
Sure I could import but with some people claiming to he on their 4th or 5th zine due to technical faults, hardware and software problems I would he worried about lack of warranty!
Tempted to take the chance as have had no problems with by 360 and know that microsoft have built a reputation of making sturdy reliable products on the console Market before launching the zune!

(most of this post was Tongue in cheek)

well actually... a lot of people have been having problems with their xbox 360's failing. that's what the whole red ring is about, so i wouldn't necessarily say they produce sturdy reliable products. but they do replace the xbox right away if that happens, so it shows that if they're at fault they'll take the time to fix it which is a good thing

Aug 20, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #22 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ub3rMario /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That doesn't really say anything because they a[/B]ren't simply different versions of one player. Touch is made to do certain things, while zune is made to do certain other things.

Just because zune doesn't have the latest fad of touch screen controls doesn't mean that it's obsolete (for example). Your post to me is like saying a luxury van is better than a gas efficient coupe. They're both essentially vehicles but have very different aspects that don't make each other less useful in comparison. Show me how the technology used in the zune is archaic which you imply in this post.

no, you are wrong.

I'm talking about the mp3s as a whole.

Touch takes mp3 players to another level. The possibilities of this thing is so wide. Whereas for Zunes, they pretty much have nothing except the useless wi-fi.

The technology used in Zune is still the old HDD that takes a longer time to load, makes louder noise. Whereas Touch has flash, with faster and less noise.

Whatever Zune can do, Touch can do better. (w/ or w/o line-out)

Aug 20, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by big-fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with your generalization. While I love my Touch (and carry it around with me every day), I prefer the sound of the Zune when I really want to listen to music. The Zune provides a richer tone to my ears. I'm using TF10's and/or ER4's for both the Zune and Touch

Also, you're right, the Touch can do a lot of things, but it can't do two things that I need when I'm listening to music with my eyes closed. And that is 'skip to the next track' or 'change volume' without me opening my eyes, activating the screen, and looking for the track skip touch button or volume slider. Without these 2 tactile button functions, the Touch will always remain relegated to 'On the go' listening, and will never be used for experiencing the music the way I want to experience it.

Aug 20, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #24 of 52
Quote:

no, you are wrong.

I'm talking about the mp3s as a whole.

Touch takes mp3 players to another level. The possibilities of this thing is so wide. Whereas for Zunes, they pretty much have nothing except the useless wi-fi.

The technology used in Zune is still the old HDD that takes a longer time to load, makes louder noise. Whereas Touch has flash, with faster and less noise.

Honestly, if you have a Laptop, the touch is useless. I received my 8GB on Christmas of last year, at that point, I didn't have a laptop.

It was great before I bought a laptop three months later. The web browser is frustrating, there is no tactile typing system, and it is very expensive for the amount of space you get.

I am planning on trading my Jailbroken touch for an 80GB Classic or a Zune 80. I don't need the touch anymore.

Aug 20, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #25 of 52
Quote:

no, you are wrong.

Can your Touch hold 80GB?

Does your Touch have an FM Radio?

IMO the Zune sounds better as well.

Your statement is an epic fail.

Aug 21, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #26 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonShine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can your Touch hold 80GB?

Does your Touch have an FM Radio?

IMO the Zune sounds better as well.

Your statement is an epic fail.

That's exactly what I am saying, I want those features/ functionality, I don't need a web browser.

Aug 21, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #27 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmacfan4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, if you have a Laptop, the touch is useless. I received my 8GB on Christmas of last year, at that point, I didn't have a laptop.

It was great before I bought a laptop three months later. The web browser is frustrating, there is no tactile typing system, and it is very expensive for the amount of space you get.

I am planning on trading my Jailbroken touch for an 80GB Classic or a Zune 80. I don't need the touch anymore.

Agreed.

I had fun toying with my 8GB Touch. With my N95's Walking Hotspot application, my Touch was basically an iPhone 3G without the (crappy) phone or (crappy) camera capabilities. Without a WiFi connection readily available, the extra connectivity-based features are useless.

Also, the Touch sounded awful compared to my Rockboxed X5L (both no EQ). I haven't listened to the Zune 80, but as far as I can remember the Zune 30 sounded significantly better.

The extra apps are pretty cool, though. I might pick up a refurb 8GB for use as an iTunes remote with my Macbook (via the awesome Remote app) and to carry around seasons of The Office.

Aug 21, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #28 of 52
I have to agree with the ones that favor the zune over the itouch as far as sound quality. It's unfortunate that apple didn't pay much attention to the sq of the ipod 'Touch' when compared to the other ipods such as the 5th gen, Classic and Nanos. For serious listening, i use my 2nd gen nano and portable amp, but for casual listening I bring my ipod touch(32gb) along... definitely the 'touch' is a keeper since i have other plans for it as a PDA and media device.

Aug 21, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #29 of 52
Honestly, you can't really compare the Touch to the Zune. A better comparison would be the 6g "Classic" the the Zune. In that respect, the Zune wins hands down. With the 6G Apple went in-house for producing the DAC (and in my opinion failed), where as with the Zune 2, Microsquash went to the highly respected Wolfson DAC's and spent a lot of time redesigning the hardware for a super clean signal. Ironically all the great gens of iPods used Wolfson DACs. Apple basically started making their own crappy ones to save money. For me, audio quality was what made the difference in my purchase. I tried out the Classic, found it's sound worse than the old 3g I had (a generation not known for great SQ) took it back and had to order in a Zune, as Best Buy was sold out. I'm happy, and you basically just have to choose a camp and sit on that side.

SQ: Zune > iConform, erm, iPod.

biggrin.gif

-w-

Aug 21, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #30 of 52
I think Apple used Cirrus Logic for their Classic/Nano DACs. I believe I read that the Touch uses a Wolfson DAC, but if so, it is a poor implementation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back