iPod Touch vs. Zune
Aug 16, 2008 at 11:46 AM Post #2 of 52
I used to own both.

I stuck with the zune due to SQ and memory size.

No point having lossless format to accommodate the SQ if you have a small memory.

However the touches SQ with lossless is very good.

Either you chose will make you smile.

However the zune suited my tastes best.

Aug 16, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #3 of 52
The
very_evil_smiley.gif
Touch
very_evil_smiley.gif
has all the extras - so this wasn't a fair comparison IMO
wink_face.gif
!!!

Aug 17, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #4 of 52
they are very different players. both have very good outputs but the touch hisses more. it has about average hiss even for today's players. all other ipods since gen 5 will hiss less but... the touch sounds good enough that it is not a huge detractor for me. i use er4p to s adapter to rid of hiss.

comparison points:
both have gapless
sq good in both
AAC supported in both but zune does wma if that is your thing
ipod can be used in two os families and the zune only in one
zune has up to 80gb and touch to 30

points of non-comparison
touch has apps
zune has 'social'
touch verses semi tactile.

both are great. i would make choice on whether you want apple or you want microsoft! haha

Aug 17, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #6 of 52
Touch-widely available,supports apps and Macs, multi-touch,Cover Flow,wifi,Safari
Zune-unless you're in the US/Canada, then you'd have to import, no app store or multi-touch,best used with Windows, more storage (80GB),not as many accessories than for iPods, no mobile web browser.

Aug 17, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #8 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by big-fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
touch > zune..

hands down..

Their technologies are like 5 years apart.

That doesn't really say anything because they aren't simply different versions of one player. Touch is made to do certain things, while zune is made to do certain other things.

Just because zune doesn't have the latest fad of touch screen controls doesn't mean that it's obsolete (for example). Your post to me is like saying a luxury van is better than a gas efficient coupe. They're both essentially vehicles but have very different aspects that don't make each other less useful in comparison. Show me how the technology used in the zune is archaic which you imply in this post.

Aug 17, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #9 of 52
Music player ⇔ Knife

iPod Touch ⇔

Zune ⇔
ASEK.jpg

Aug 17, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #10 of 52
Cant comment as only have the touch as microsoft are so confident in the abilities of the zune that they want only the Americans to enjoy it's obvious superiority over everything apple and keep the rest of the world guessing!
Sure I could import but with some people claiming to he on their 4th or 5th zine due to technical faults, hardware and software problems I would he worried about lack of warranty!
Tempted to take the chance as have had no problems with by 360 and know that microsoft have built a reputation of making sturdy reliable products on the console Market before launching the zune!

(most of this post was Tongue in cheek)

Aug 17, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #11 of 52
tricky, i love the analogy. I'll take the rambo knife thanks. haha.

hatethatgiraffe: If i were you i'd give it a shot. I really don't think those "defects" are a problem anymore and i always believed it was user error in the first place. People like to tinker and not follow directions haha. I've had my zune for about 3 months now ( i know it isn't that long but i've put about 43 gigs on it of stuff) and not one single issue has ocurred. Even the "dreaded zune software installation" was simple and easy. No problems! So i'm thinking people are just dumb in general when it comes to using technology. lol.

Aug 17, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #13 of 52
To all:
my question was related to the sound quality side of the players, not to the features...
Anyway, i've got the original Zune and a lot of other DAPs (look to sign.) but i've have'nt yet an Apple player so....i bought it! :)
I hope the touch hiss will be a problem only with IEMs...:wink:

Aug 17, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #14 of 52
I've tried both, waiting for a higher capacity touch (>60GB) to be released then i'm all over it. Although the Zune does have slightly better sound quality, most of my portable listening is on the rough and tumble city transit which makes critical listening a moot point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back